PDA

View Full Version : Sliding edges/points without UV'd texture distortion?

GimbalLock
04-26-2018, 03:17 AM
Hi Forum,

On a model with UV map set up fully, is there an easy way to slide an edge or point on the geometry without stretching the appearance of the UV texture? I know Chamfer can split an edge nicely without disturbing the appearance of texture, but for rearranging one edge I can't find a UV-friendly tool. Cheers.

Snosrap
04-29-2018, 07:36 PM
Isn't that the point of UV's - having textures stick to certain areas of the model? Seems to me that if the model is disturbed in any way the UV's will distort/stretch. I've always tried to get sign off on all geometry before UVing for that reason.

erikals
04-30-2018, 03:08 AM
not possible... basically...

unless you "slide" the polygons themselves
you can "slide" polygons using 3rdPowers

you can also bake out a distorted UV, then map that to an distorted UV

and, slide the texture, for then to slide the mesh polyflow

https://youtu.be/9gv0-ITj0Og

usually though (in 99% of all cases) tweaking the UV itself is what is recommended

Ztreem
04-30-2018, 06:38 AM
Hi Forum,

On a model with UV map set up fully, is there an easy way to slide an edge or point on the geometry without stretching the appearance of the UV texture? I know Chamfer can split an edge nicely without disturbing the appearance of texture, but for rearranging one edge I can't find a UV-friendly tool. Cheers.

If you donít mind using Blender, I think there is a vertex slide tool that preserves UVís.

GimbalLock
05-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Thanks guys.

Snosrap, yeah that's the point of UVs ;) But in a non-perfect world workflows are rarely perfectly linear and I know other programs can do this, and Lightwave can do it partially (like chamfer will slide the new edges in UV space). Would just be so useful to have a move tool with this option.