PDA

View Full Version : Metamorphic for LightWave 2018 (AnimatedSculpt previously)

Pages : [1] 2

jay3d
04-25-2018, 07:19 AM
Hey guys!

It's finally LIVE!

http://jhwerks.com/

Enjoy it!

MonroePoteet
04-25-2018, 08:00 AM
Prior sneak preview by Lino Grandi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRCv4TakYQg

mTp

04-25-2018, 08:58 AM
Chronosculpt-like 2 it seems.
Only, built around the lw interface.
Neat.

calilifestyle
04-25-2018, 09:16 AM
Looks cool

machbeowulf
04-25-2018, 09:21 AM
Looks both extremely cool and useful !!! ... and purchased :) Thank you very much !!!

raw-m
04-25-2018, 09:47 AM
Very nice! Is full Mac support coming for pen pressure?

jay3d
04-25-2018, 10:03 AM
Mac support for pen pressure needs to wait for a bit, but it's coming! :)

erikals
04-25-2018, 10:31 AM
sweet!   is something like this possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuiB1Rv75O8

seem like it could be?...

jay3d
04-25-2018, 10:41 AM
To some degree, Yes! If you give it a clean non-overlapping UV Map :)

ernesttx
04-25-2018, 01:01 PM
I've waited along time for this since Lino and I discussed this about 4 years ago hehe Purchased! Thank you Jay

hypersuperduper
04-25-2018, 02:44 PM
This looks really great!

OFF
04-25-2018, 07:04 PM
Great news! More video please! )

omichon
04-26-2018, 12:02 AM
Looks nice, congrats for the release ! The teaser was fine to get our attention, but you will have to show more to get the money ;)

OFF
04-26-2018, 01:14 AM
Yep. I would like to see a video overview of all plug-in functions.
I need such a tool, although I use the Cage Deformer, but judging by the video from Lino, Metamorphic is more versatile and easy to use.
I need a little more information to purchase it.

vipvip242
04-26-2018, 03:45 AM
just purchased, after some tests, it seems to be very, very promising & powerfull, and ultra-easy to use !

VermilionCat
04-26-2018, 03:54 AM
+1 for overview! Looks promising it's a shame if you don't advertise it properly!

tyrot
04-26-2018, 04:37 AM
yes a new video needed

btw cant believe NT was showing this in their 2018 promo video / i thought it is part of lightwave 2018 ! ... it can be a game changer ..

erikals
04-26-2018, 10:28 AM
no, i can see how that was misunderstood,
however what NT showed in the 2018 video was EditFX, which is much more clunky.

prometheus
04-26-2018, 10:54 AM
how well would it work as a sculpting tool in layout? using it for landscape sculpts etc, or is it more useful for strange animated sculpts and morp corrections?
I am talking about reaching the sculpting speed of blender and with equal amount of polys.

erikals
04-26-2018, 11:04 AM
how well would it work as a sculpting tool in layout?
good question, perhaps a video demonstration with a 10mill poly object would give a clue/hint.
+texture projection would be cool in a future release, if possible.

prometheus
04-26-2018, 11:47 AM
good question, perhaps a video demonstration with a 10mill poly object would give a clue/hint.
+texture projection would be cool in a future release, if possible.

I think even blender would start to crawl at 10 millions of polys, 2-4 millions may be sufficient for many landscape sculpts.

N_A
04-26-2018, 12:16 PM
Very interesting and inspiring plugin.
Sculpting tool needs to be able to change the topology of the polygonal mesh.
I think in the current sdk version it's hard to do it in the layout.

jeric_synergy
04-26-2018, 01:43 PM
Very interesting, and reasonably priced. SUPPORT THE LW 3rd Party DEVS, use your CASH.

UnCommonGrafx
04-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Very interesting, and reasonably priced. SUPPORT THE LW 3rd Party DEVS, use your CASH.

Did.
It's an easy investment with the present state of LW: a whole bunch seems to be possible from here.

Chuckle, now I need to spend the weekend playing to understand.
Robert

OFF
04-28-2018, 05:57 AM
It would be very good if the function of selecting the vertices of the object would be added.

jay3d
04-28-2018, 07:25 AM
It would be very good if the function of selecting the vertices of the object would be added.

Noted :)

jwiede
04-28-2018, 03:27 PM
After reviewing Lino's video, it appears that certain features I asked about aren't supported (esp. smoothing brush, mask support with inversion). I've edited the post accordingly, instead putting those forth as feature requests.

Easy ability to jump back/forth between sculpting brush and user-adjustable "smoothing brush" while sculpting was quickly added to LWBrush after lots of users requested it, and so I'll put forth a request for the same functionality in your tool.

Likewise, having ability to dynamically create/edit/invert masks to limit brush effects is highly useful for working in tight areas. Also, note this is slightly different than ability to control which vertices/polygons the tool can act upon at activation, they are both useful features, and both provide distinctly valuable benefits. Please consider this a request for dynamic masking functionality in your tool, as well as vertex/polygon-level tool scope selection at activation.

Due to limitations in Layout SDK, I suspect acting upon multiple objects/object-layers at once isn't feasible, so I've withdrawn my questions along those lines.

A video that shows how the tool's undo/redo/history functionality works, as well as how it integrates with other Layout tools' undo functionality would be very welcome -- Lino's preview didn't really show much there. In particular, does "dropping" the sculpt tool cause the undo/history to be flattened, or can the user come back and use it later?

Thanks!

JamesCurtis
04-28-2018, 10:12 PM
Is there a demo? I usually like to "kick the tires" as it were to see if it works to my expectations.

hypersuperduper
04-29-2018, 02:16 AM
I think a couple of video demos would be more than enough. The existing teaser is video definitely makes me curious, but it is difficult to follow exactly what is being done.

erikals
04-29-2018, 03:04 AM
asking for a demonstration of Use Brush Texture   :)

https://i.imgur.com/X5kqzEN.png

i wouldn't blink buying this if i had LW2018.
folks, just buy it!

sudac20
04-29-2018, 08:11 AM
After reviewing Lino's video, it appears that certain features I asked about aren't supported (esp. smoothing brush, mask support with inversion). I've edited the post accordingly, instead putting those forth as feature requests.

Easy ability to jump back/forth between sculpting brush and user-adjustable "smoothing brush" while sculpting was quickly added to LWBrush after lots of users requested it, and so I'll put forth a request for the same functionality in your tool.

Likewise, having ability to dynamically create/edit/invert masks to limit brush effects is highly useful for working in tight areas. Also, note this is slightly different than ability to control which vertices/polygons the tool can act upon at activation, they are both useful features, and both provide distinctly valuable benefits. Please consider this a request for dynamic masking functionality in your tool, as well as vertex/polygon-level tool scope selection at activation.

Due to limitations in Layout SDK, I suspect acting upon multiple objects/object-layers at once isn't feasible, so I've withdrawn my questions along those lines.

A video that shows how the tool's undo/redo/history functionality works, as well as how it integrates with other Layout tools' undo functionality would be very welcome -- Lino's preview didn't really show much there. In particular, does "dropping" the sculpt tool cause the undo/history to be flattened, or can the user come back and use it later?

Thanks!

Agreed masking & smoothing is a must.

samurai_x
04-29-2018, 10:53 AM
Congratulations! Hopefully you create more plugins for lightwave in the future.
Its too bad Lino posted this on fb but then put a lot of sneaky jabs at Newtek and telling everyone he basically switched to Blender. Lol!
The grape is sour.

The Dommo
04-30-2018, 09:21 AM
Nice!

OFF
04-30-2018, 09:56 AM
One more request - copy/paste keys.

hypersuperduper
05-01-2018, 02:28 AM
I would be curious to see how the endomorph workflow functions. can the plugin directly edit an existing endomorph? Or are they completely separate systems that require conversion. I work with unity a lot, so I need endomorphs, which AFAIK is the only way to get blend shapes into unity.

ernesttx
05-01-2018, 03:08 AM
hey hyper. Jay may need to weigh in on the "edit existing endomorph" part of things. From what I see from using the plugin, you can move the mesh (or push/pull, etc.) to sculpt it to create an endomorph, and then there's a button to save the endomorph. Afterwards, you can save your object from within Layout. You can then add (or if you already added) a Morph Mixer and you will have access to that endomorph. It saves the endomorph with a standard Scupltxxxx name. But, if you saved your object, you can open it in Modeler and rename it or modify further in Modeler. I'm enjoying using this plugin. I tried to modify an existing endomorph, but, I think if you click on the Save Endomorph button, it will create a new endomorph with the Sculptxxx name. Maybe Jay could have the plugin read existing endomorphs and then you could modify existing ones. Hope that helps.

jay3d
05-05-2018, 02:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwaNHpbMDzc

Hi guys!

This the first video of a series of videos I'm making to explain many features of the Metamorphic plugin

Stay tuned for more!

Cheers!

omichon
05-05-2018, 03:27 AM
Thanks for that ! For sure this kind of content will help you selling your plugin.

Edit : if you could add a signature with a direct link to your plugin, that would be nice too ;)

jay3d
05-05-2018, 06:45 AM
Another candy for your eyes :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-mD2EJZfEI

tyrot
05-05-2018, 07:36 AM
incredible..... NT can you reactivate cheap 2018 upgrade . this thing just sold me 2018!!!!

jeric_synergy
05-05-2018, 12:31 PM

HOLY MACKEREL. That is some serious rocket science there, I can't even imagine how you pulled that off. :applause: :rock:

And as someone else said: making these videos is A Very Good Idea for getting folk excited, and for selling plugins.

REALLY impressive! :bowdown:

mch
05-05-2018, 12:38 PM

This is simply amazing !

Thanks for that video !!!
Now I see the potential of your Metamorphic Plug-In !!!

Great tool for CA and MoCap stuff as well.

Please continue with that explanatory videos - thanks a lot !

;-)

Regards,

Marcus

Julez4001
05-05-2018, 12:39 PM
If you gusy go to Lightwiki Facebook, Oliver and Jay talks about the architecture in LW2018 has allowed for more functionality and more amazing abilities than ever before. Hopefully Dpont can come ack and take advantage of the tools.

prometheus
05-05-2018, 03:00 PM
If you gusy go to Lightwiki Facebook, Oliver and Jay talks about the architecture in LW2018 has allowed for more functionality and more amazing abilities than ever before. Hopefully Dpont can come ack and take advantage of the tools.

link to that? and can you see it without a facebook acount?

Qexit
05-05-2018, 04:47 PM
link to that? and can you see it without a facebook acount?Not sure about the specific comments being referred to but you can view Lightwiki Facebook here: https://en-gb.facebook.com/lightwiki/

Oliver has some posts at the start of the feed which you can read through without a an actual Facebook account....though it will keep trying to get you to login or sign up.

prometheus
05-05-2018, 04:57 PM
Not sure about the specific comments being referred to but you can view Lightwiki Facebook here: https://en-gb.facebook.com/lightwiki/

Oliver has some posts at the start of the feed which you can read through without a an actual Facebook account....though it will keep trying to get you to login or sign up.

Thanks...some things seem accessable though I do not have and use facebook.

prometheus
05-05-2018, 05:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwaNHpbMDzc

Hi guys!

This the first video of a series of videos I'm making to explain many features of the Metamorphic plugin

Stay tuned for more!

Cheers!

I just subscribed on your channel, itīs definitely interesting.

TheLexx
05-06-2018, 05:20 PM
There appears to be a new vid - Using the Textured Brush (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt-A13a2MM4)

ernpchan
05-06-2018, 07:02 PM
Hey guys!

It's finally LIVE!

http://jhwerks.com/

Enjoy it!

Congratulations on this plugin. Very impressive.

vipvip242
05-07-2018, 09:21 AM
this plugin is the ultimate tool to pose/adjust (animated) characters with clothes... better than GOZ for minor adjustments, because live... and the development speed is impressive... awesome !

sudac20
05-08-2018, 10:34 PM
Wow, nice job... if we could just get a decent hair system I could start using lightwave again. At 75.00 its a no-brainer.

Marander
05-08-2018, 11:07 PM
Ok the Texture Brush and the fact this runs (animated) in Layout convinced me, purchased! Great work!

jay3d
05-09-2018, 01:37 AM
https://www.facebook.com/jay3dlinux/videos/610335175985215/

Metamorphic 1.2.0 UPDATE!

- Introduced "Global Mode" to affect masked (selected) areas globally regardless of brush radius
- Soft selection by choice, and major fixes to selection system
- Introduced "Solo" mode to edit stored sculpt keys individually independently from the timeline

GET YOURS NOW!! http://jhwerks.com/lightwave-plug-ins/

JohnMarchant
05-09-2018, 04:27 AM
Oh more updates, im hardly getting time to test the previous one before another arrive, well cant complain.

sudac20
05-09-2018, 10:13 AM
Is there a move brush (like in Zbrush)? The sculpting looks cool but I think with corrective morphs a grab/ move brush would prove most useful.

05-09-2018, 10:48 AM
Yes, there is a move brush, like in zbrush.

sudac20
05-09-2018, 01:55 PM
Any impressions with corrective morphs?

jay3d
05-10-2018, 11:53 PM

- Sculpting speed improved to 200%
- Introduced brush stroke stepping parameter
- Introduced symmetrical sculpting in X and Y
- Many bug fixes!

Good news for Mac users: Now the plugin works properly on older OS X versions (minimum 10.10.5)

GET YOURS NOW!! http://jhwerks.com/lightwave-plug-ins/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Og1kOVdGs&feature=youtu.be

Marander
05-11-2018, 01:49 AM
This is great!

mav3rick
05-11-2018, 02:26 AM
great work Jay!

erikals
05-12-2018, 03:52 AM
That's Awesome!
definitely get this if you are a 2018 owner! :king:

prometheus
05-12-2018, 05:43 AM
Great improvements, 51200 polygons, would like to see how it would handle around 2-3 millions though.
Would it be possible to add metamorphic to a button in a menu, rather than having to add it as a modifier for starting up?
openGL in lightwave could use matcaps and ambient occlusion when you use this for sculpting, and finally...dynotopic, adding polydetail when sculpting.

All that may not be possible..but it looks nice so far.

About using textures....one thing I find invaluable in another app that uses sculpting, that is the option ot use anchored as a stroke method, that means I can drag scale the size of the brush and ergo the displacement based on the texture in the brush, and while still holding the mouse button in rotate to any angle ..so scale up and down and rotate to place the displacement where I want.
If you can get such stroke method in there, that would be great...
1:32 in this clip you can see how that works, where I used pre-rendered lightwave procedurals but in the other software, so feel free to steal this way of implementing a brush mode from that software..it would be useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eHiR4Y3T1M

UnCommonGrafx
05-12-2018, 07:08 AM
Jay,
Exceptional work! Great to see the development is strongly ongoing.

In your last video, I have to admit to getting excited when I saw colors on the screen: thought you had managed to give us painting, too!
Alas, it was visible selection sets. A boon to the workflow, for sure, but not what I was hoping for. ;)

Having said that, I'm sure it's the question many have or want to ask: how's painting coming along?:D

Thank you for your efforts. Looking forward to more.
Robert

Marander
05-12-2018, 11:51 AM
I think even blender would start to crawl at 10 millions of polys, 2-4 millions may be sufficient for many landscape sculpts.

Quick test with a 1000x1000 groundplane / one Mio polys...

Basically works but a bit slow. I wouldn't do landscapes with it, but maybe suitable for rocks etc.

prometheus
05-13-2018, 06:20 AM
Quick test with a 1000x1000 groundplane / one Mio polys...

Basically works but a bit slow. I wouldn't do landscapes with it, but maybe suitable for rocks etc.

Thanks...the actual image says nothing though, since we can not see the speed of how it deforms, and otherwise I understand fully that you can deform it with the brush :)
Thanks for giving the heads up on the speed...and that is the thing for me, at 1000 000 millions of polys, it isnīt tolerable for it to be "a bit slow" at that level, at 4, 6 millions perhaps..but not for a sculpting tool comparing to what I am used too. (not talking zbrush here)

Then again, itīs design was probably initially a tool to do animated sculpts..morphs etc...but I just wish this geo engine could kick but under the other circumstances as well.

jay3d
05-13-2018, 06:29 AM
Thanks...the actual image says nothing though, since we can not see the speed of how it deforms, and otherwise I understand fully that you can deform it with the brush :)
Thanks for giving the heads up on the speed...and that is the thing for me, at 1000 000 millions of polys, it isnīt tolerable for it to be "a bit slow" at that level, at 4, 6 millions perhaps..but not for a sculpting tool comparing to what I am used too. (not talking zbrush here)

Then again, itīs design was probably initially a tool to do animated sculpts..morphs etc...but I just wish this geo engine could kick but under the other circumstances as well.

TBH the geo engine of 2018 is very well and fine, but the issue is with the OpenGL bottleneck. For example if you turn to points only view in the viewport you'll see how fast it handles even 2 mil polys like butter. there's one solution though I'm working on before OpenGL drawing issues gets fixed

prometheus
05-13-2018, 06:52 AM
TBH the geo engine of 2018 is very well and fine, but the issue is with the OpenGL bottleneck. For example if you turn to points only view in the viewport you'll see how fast it handles even 2 mil polys like butter. there's one solution though I'm working on before OpenGL drawing issues gets fixed

Thanks for clarifying that, and thanks for what you currently are working on.
Sculpting in Lightwave is One of the features Ivé been lacking for a too long time, so it is welcomed to see things happening here...wether or not it will be a modeler or layout version finally, thatīs another matter.

The drag texture option in lightwave was a nice little addition natively, but I sort of have abandoned working with it nowadays since I use the other tools for that which can handle a lot more polyīs, but the advantage of using lightwave all together would be all itīs vast library of procedural textures, I do not have that much of procedurals to choose from in my sculpting tool of choice currently, so workarounds was as I previously showed..to render out static images of favourite lightwave procedurals and use that as a brush in the other software, it would be limited in resolution and static with no option to change other than redoing new bitmap brushes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inzIpvpwjzs

Marander
05-13-2018, 09:18 AM

Yes I agree the image doesn't say much.

The problem is that with high poly it is not only slow but also doesn't do smooth strokes. It actually never really does, even with fewer polys, the brush steps are visible. Smoothing is always required. Precise sculpting is not possible.

I don't see it as a sculpt tool, it misses some functionality like sculpt layers / subdivisions for example and precision.

I just compared with the built-in sculpting in Cinema, 1 Mio polys is absolutely no problem and all strokes are absolutely smooth and precise (and of course it has sculpt layers and more).

I see Metamorphic more as a simple fun tool in LW, but it's still a young plugin that has potential.

What I really like is the blue brush gizmo (as well as the other onscreen displays), it looks better than any other UI element in LW.

Dissapointing is LW 2018s OpenGL performance, (for the fact it runs the Hydra engine / new geometry core). I have noticed before that it doesn't perform well with large objects while I can modify them smoothly in other 3D apps.

Edit: Just tested 3rd Powers LWBrush in Modeler with a 1 Mio poly plane, it's so slow that it's unusable.

vipvip242
05-13-2018, 09:41 AM
I just compared with the built-in sculpting in Cinema, 1 Mio polys is absolutely no problem and all strokes are absolutely smooth and precise (and of course it has sculpt layers and more).

I see Metamorphic more as a simple fun tool in LW, but it's still a young plugin that has potential.

What I really like is the blue brush gizmo (as well as the other onscreen displays), it looks better than any other UI element in LW.

Dissapointing is LW 2018s OpenGL performance, (for the fact it runs the Hydra engine / new geometry core). I have noticed before that it doesn't perform well with large objects while I can modify them smoothly in other 3D apps.

we have to compare what is to be compared -> very high polys sculpting is better on other apps like c4d, but if you compare C4D to ZBrush...
Metamorphic is unique for animated sculpting : for example, when you apply motion capture to a layered object ( characters + clothes with a same skeletton applied), the problem is, in most of case, the overlapping of the different surfaces, depending the bones-deformations : with metamorphic, you can correct this, in seconds, along the timeline : this feature, for example, is NOT possible with C4D, and i gather in most of major 3D apps... you can also do face animations, pose corrections, quickly fake clothes/poly-hair for wind/motion effects... the potential of this plugin is huge, and the last versions are working very nicely, with every week new features very usefull...

prometheus
05-13-2018, 09:51 AM
we have to compare what is to be compared -> very high polys sculpting is better on other apps like c4d, but if you compare C4D to ZBrush...
Metamorphic is unique for animated sculpting : for example, when you apply motion capture to a layered object ( characters + clothes with a same skeletton applied), the problem is, in most of case, the overlapping of the different surfaces, depending the bones-deformations : with metamorphic, you can correct this, in seconds, along the timeline : this feature, for example, is NOT possible with C4D, and i gather in most of major 3D apps... you can also do face animations, pose corrections, quickly fake clothes/poly-hair for wind/motion effects... the potential of this plugin is huge, and the last versions are working very nicely, with every week new features very usefull...

You are absolutly right..for me it isnīt really about comparing towards high end sculpt, as zbrush or mudbox, I just need sculpting in a level on par with what I use now, and that is nowhere near zbrush, but it is much faster than what can
be seen in this tool, not sure if it can evolve to be a complete package..maybe not, and I do not wish to derail from this great tool from Jay3d and itīs main purpose, which may not be my main purpose but it still indicated that it could be useful for me and eventually it may be..will see.

Marander
05-13-2018, 09:56 AM
...with metamorphic, you can correct this, in seconds, along the timeline : this feature, for example, is NOT possible with C4D, and i gather in most of major 3D apps...

I don't want to start another 3D app comparison and true, Metamorphic is very nice for quick deforms along the timeline. However other apps like Cinema have corrective PoseMorphs and PLA (point level animation) as well as built-in cage deformers that can be animated.

vipvip242
05-13-2018, 10:15 AM
I don't want to start another 3D app comparison and true, Metamorphic is very nice for quick deforms along the timeline. However other apps like Cinema have corrective PoseMorphs and PLA (point level animation) as well as built-in cage deformers that can be animated.

thanks, but not sure we are talking about the same thing... however, on my side, Metamorphic is much more than a simple 'fun' tool...

jeric_synergy
05-13-2018, 12:40 PM
Putting plugin that's designed for a specific task up against an evolved generalized sculptural seems a bit, well, ridiculous.

Be happy we have it AT ALL.

Marander
05-13-2018, 01:25 PM
Putting plugin that's designed for a specific task up against an evolved generalized sculptural seems a bit, well, ridiculous.

Yeah I'm satisfied with the plugin and if there wouldn't be restrictions on the LW side it would even be better. I would say the dev did the best he can, given the circumstances.

prometheus
05-13-2018, 02:42 PM

Ridiculous where?
Itīs not a boxing fight putting this tool up against evolve sculpt tool, itīs plain facts where I want and need a tool to be at, not necessary this tool can do that, ergo that is why I engaged in questions on how the performance is...and when finding out that it doesnīt perform in that level and coming to that conclusion, that may be interpretated as ridiculous?

The case of that it doesnīt suit my needs ...that doesnīt mean that I do not recognize how
great and important it may be for many others.

Specificly I also mentioned I do not want to derail from the fact that it is a cool plugin.

And finally..no I am not that overly happy at all that we have it, itīs not what I need..primary, I would be more happy with a sculpting tool with mentioned capabilities and performance prestanda, though I can be happy for others that it fitīs their bill.

tyrot
05-13-2018, 06:12 PM
from my pov.. this plugin is a game changer...

jeric_synergy
05-13-2018, 08:26 PM
Yeah I'm satisfied with the plugin and if there wouldn't be restrictions on the LW side it would even be better. I would say the dev did the best he can, given the circumstances.

With any luck, it'll only get better. QUITE an accomplishment. :bowdown: --It sounds like OGL may be some kind of bottleneck. :(

As it is, many loud whiners have been p*ssin' and m**nin' for this capability for a long time, and HERE IT FREEKIN' IS. Less bellyaching, por favor.

OFF
05-14-2018, 12:29 AM
It seems to me that a full plug-in (with the ability to grow dynamic polygons) for sculpting would be more necessary in Modeller. And for Layout is enough a lite version, convenient for rapid modeling of landscapes etc.
But the main functions of Metamorph (imho) - creation and correction of movements. In this regard, it would be more useful than the drawing function - the function of hair sculpting/animation made on the basis of two-point polygons.

samurai_x
05-14-2018, 04:18 AM
this feature, for example, is NOT possible with C4D, and i gather in most of major 3D apps... you can also do face animations, pose corrections, quickly fake clothes/poly-hair for wind/motion effects...

Not sure about c4d but you can do it in max and maya some free some paid plugins.

vipvip242
05-14-2018, 04:27 AM
ok thanks, but finally the only thing interesting me is that it is NOW possible in lightwave: tell me if i'm wrong again (and of course, sorry to autodesk for the mistake ;D )

Chris S. (Fez)
05-14-2018, 05:09 AM
This seems like a faster, more elegant solution than Max native. In terms of workflow at least. Not sure about 3rd party. Apologies if this has already been asked but is this only possible because of the new geo engine?

Cageman
05-14-2018, 07:10 AM
This seems like a faster, more elegant solution than Max native. In terms of workflow at least. Not sure about 3rd party. Apologies if this has already been asked but is this only possible because of the new geo engine?

That and that the deformers now operates as a proper stack, I would guess.

samurai_x
05-15-2018, 12:19 AM

Its possible now in 2018 period. Buti if they had fixed order of operations we could have had this a long time ago.

mav3rick
05-15-2018, 02:18 AM
i can only guess how will this look with micropoly displacement we still miss

ianr
05-15-2018, 09:23 AM
This all throws up That OGL bottleneck, surely guys that's worth sending in to Chuck ?

jay3d
05-18-2018, 05:02 AM
Metamorphic 1.2.7 UPDATE!

- Bug fixes as usual
- Added Scale and Flatten brushes

adhesiveX
05-18-2018, 05:11 AM
Awesome!

Marander
05-18-2018, 05:57 AM
Great, thanks! Looking forward to test the Flatten brush.

lardbros
05-18-2018, 09:00 AM
Bought this... Kind of a must have plugin... And development pace is crazy. So many updates I can't keep up :)

Keep up the awesome work Jamil!

Oldcode
05-18-2018, 09:46 AM
That looks amazing! I'm going to hold off, only because I've not figured out many of the quirks by going from 2015 to 2018. The way 2018 handles transparency maps for example; what works in 2015 does not always work in 2018. Until I get a handle on that and other issues, I have to stick with 2015 to finish my projects.

Marander
05-18-2018, 03:26 PM
I'm still not able to use this properly, the strokes are very jagged, the (default brush is clearly visible).

This is what I get even with Stroke Steps 1, higher values are even worse (using Mouse, when I use the Tablet it is slightly better, but not much):

This is what I would expect (other application, built-in sculpt with default subdiv, same geometry, 100x100x100 cube, also using Mouse):

Am I doing something wrong here?

raymondtrace
05-18-2018, 03:47 PM
Am I doing something wrong here?

Are you (shift) smoothing as noted in the green text at bottom of screen?

Marander
05-18-2018, 05:51 PM

Thanks for your answer.

1) Smoothing is a different brush / separate step, meaning I have to smooth all previous strokes as far as I understand

2) Smoothing gets the result smoother :-) yes, but still not nice equal strokes (as you see in the other app example in the previous post with a simple single stroke).

In this example I used smoothing as a second step on the strokes and the bottom two lines were done with the Tablet (and smoothing). Still not how I expect this to work.

jwiede
05-18-2018, 06:20 PM

Going over with the smoothing operator won't really solve the stepping of the strokes, it'll just make the local stepping (a little) less obvious.

Once that kind of stepping is present in the data, smoothing just rounds out the local step transitions, it won't (can't) produce the equivalent of a proper interpolation curve across the entire stroke length.

raymondtrace
05-18-2018, 11:20 PM
Right. I was just noting that nothing was being done wrong as the user. The demonstration videos show a second smoothing stroke as the solution for now.

jwiede
05-19-2018, 04:48 PM
The demonstration videos show a second smoothing stroke as the solution for now.

Having to go over every long stroke with a bunch of smoothing isn't a "solution", it's a time-consuming workaround.

Other pkgs manage to fix this problem, so can Metamorphic. That's Marander's (and my) point.

raymondtrace
05-19-2018, 06:45 PM
It's a solution until something better is issued. I can't sit on the toilet and produce 3D animation with my mind. The solution for now is to use software on a computer. 3D animation is a lot more time consuming than magically imagining it on the toilet...but it is just what is available now.

vipvip242
05-20-2018, 05:30 AM
perhaps does exists a PCIe interface to plug between your toilet and a (fast) computer, which would magically transfom them directly in a 3D scene...

SBowie
05-20-2018, 06:45 AM
I can't sit on the toilet and produce 3D animation with my minD.(Warning, juvenile potty humor follows) I can, but most people think my work is...well, you know.

jay3d
05-20-2018, 07:11 AM
Hi guys!

I'm well aware of the issue with the brush stepping, and working on a fix soon

Marander
05-20-2018, 08:11 AM
Hi guys!

That's great to hear thanks!

jwiede
05-20-2018, 05:33 PM
Hi guys!

Yep, glad to hear that. The other problem with trying to use smoothing to fix is that unless the user can perfectly match the original stroke path & width, doing so can actually make things worse at the "edges" where the smoothing stroke "misses" parts of the original stroke creating more "steps". That said, if there were a way to go back and apply another effect using the exact same stroke parameters as a previous one, that offers some interesting potentials beyond just smoothing.

It might also be useful if you could also gather some customer data about whether most customers' pens offer tilt data, etc. to help gauge future features. Having ability to use pen tilt to control the "vector" of the effect could be useful if available, but I can also see scenarios where users might have pens that support tilt but don't want it used (because they can't keep the pen angle steady enough, etc.). OTOH, if most customers' pens don't support tilt (or report tilt in too chaotic a manner to be useful -- such tablets do exist, btw), there's not much potential value in pursuing tilt support. Hope that made sense!

Thanks again for all the hard work!

jeric_synergy
05-20-2018, 11:55 PM
That said, if there were a way to go back and apply another effect using the exact same stroke parameters as a previous one, that offers some interesting potentials beyond just smoothing.!
"Do Again" is a neglected feature, one that I really liked in ToasterPaint (!!!).

I think it's a neglected tactic that could be used to advantage in many areas, but especially in brush-based applications and features. The most obvious use is for "sneaking up" on an effect (3%+3%+3%....) but if you include MODE CHANGES more...stuff is possible. Basically, it becomes a "stroke repeat" facility.

jay3d
05-22-2018, 03:41 AM
Metamorphic 1.2.8 UPDATE!!

- Speed up and more fluid sculpting
- Fixed brush stepping behavior, and can follow very fast brush strokes with no gaps

Enjoy!

CaptainMarlowe
05-22-2018, 03:57 AM
Man, can’t wait next paycheck to add it to my toolbox.

Marander
05-22-2018, 04:52 AM
Metamorphic 1.2.8 UPDATE!!

- Speed up and more fluid sculpting
- Fixed brush stepping behavior, and can follow very fast brush strokes with no gaps

Enjoy!

Awesome thanks! You are a very fast and skilled developer.

alexs3d
05-22-2018, 07:51 AM
really really cool, thank you so much...

Pavlov
05-22-2018, 12:19 PM
extremely interesting ! As Prometheus, i'm quite interested in a basic sculpt tool in Lw and this seem to accompish most of the tasks i need without need of IO and learning other apps.
Again i'm with prometheus in asking if you plan to add a texture paint feature along texture brushing, so we basically have something close to Blender sculpting and we could sculpt with texture plus adding proper coloring. Quite often we work on landscape and being able to paint maps along with displacement (i.e. for rocks, terrains or other similar things) would be a killed add to Lw.

Best
paolo

Marander
05-22-2018, 02:12 PM
OK, I can say, Metamorphic version 1.2.8 is like a complete new plugin. Amazing how smooth it works now, big congrats to the developer.

A 500x500 ground plane can now be sculpted like butter. Straight lines are no problem and the stepping is gone.

Anybody with LW2018 - please support this developer!

A small bug feedback to the developer:
- The Pen pressure seems to not work again in this version (maybe I'm wrong)
- In international keyboard layouts, the "/" key and others to select, deselect, invert are not working, my keyboard recognizes / as 7 (even with Shift pressed) and the Schematic view is opened. I wasn't able to remove the selection. Maybe you could 1) Add the selection keys to the plugin interface and/or 2) Make the shortcuts configurable.

Chris S. (Fez)
05-22-2018, 02:59 PM
Anybody with LW2018 - please support this developer!

Sold!

Kryslin
05-22-2018, 05:42 PM
This is just one of several plugins I need to purchase, and will...

jay3d
05-22-2018, 11:34 PM
Metamorphic 1.2.85 UPDATE!!

- Fixed many bugs with the brush behavior
- Added Stroke Coarseness parameter for finer control of the brush

Enjoy!

omichon
05-23-2018, 12:23 AM
This plugin is amazing, and is evolving so fast ! A great addition for 2018 and its deformation stack.
To quote Marander: Anybody with LW2018 - please support this developer !

JohnMarchant
05-23-2018, 05:04 AM
This plugin is amazing, and is evolving so fast ! A great addition for 2018 and its deformation stack.
To quote Marander: Anybody with LW2018 - please support this developer !

Indeed i have, great plugin and support. I would even pay again for a LW 2015 version, thats how much i love this.

Mastoy
05-23-2018, 05:31 AM
Ok I will buy it as soon as I have the money.
Great job and support !!!

tyrot
05-23-2018, 08:58 AM
Jay3D you - ONLY you - can change the fate of LW layout and silence many haters here.. You have a mighty mission my friend. Wish you all the luck..

pbaroque20
05-23-2018, 12:10 PM
Would be awesome if LW could also support OPENSubDiv anytime soon. The possible functionality in Metamorphic for that kind of geo is efficiently great for effects.

bobakabob
05-23-2018, 03:07 PM
Really looking forward to investing. If you can achieve animated basic Zbrush / Sculptris style sculpting with masking in 2018 that would be amazing.

jay3d
05-23-2018, 11:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEcZCS4vREM&feature=youtu.be

Sneak of the upcoming Metamorphic 1.2.9 performance boost!!
GET YOURS NOW!!! http://jhwerks.com/lightwave-plug-ins/ FOR ONLY $75!!

omichon
05-24-2018, 01:04 AM
Honestly, $75 for what Metamorphic is now, is a real bargain !
It should have been an early bird offer price, that should be over $100 by now.

jay3d
05-24-2018, 01:18 AM
It should has been an early bird offer price, that should be over $100 by now.

You said that!

alexs3d
05-24-2018, 07:06 AM

i thought the same, it is worth much more...awesome plugin and great support...

Wade
05-24-2018, 08:50 AM
i thought the same, it is worth much more...awesome plugin and great support...

As I have yet to buy but will I think the 75.00 is a great price! :) There is something to be said about mass market at under 100.00 a lot of folks will buy on impulse and use and talk it up. At over 100.00 a person starts to slow down and think "will I use it" "is it worth it to me"... So as LWCAD was less for years and grew in user base so I think you should not overprice your product but let it grow fast and wide in the LW 2018 community. Looks like a great tool and is I am sure and I will purchase soon.
Thanks Wade

alexs3d
05-24-2018, 08:55 AM
As I have yet to buy but will I think the 75.00 is a great price! :) There is something to be said about mass market at under 100.00 a lot of folks will buy on impulse and use and talk it up. At over 100.00 a person starts to slow down and think "will I use it" "is it worth it to me"... So as LWCAD was less for years and grew in user base so I think you should not overprice your product but let it grow fast and wide in the LW 2018 community. Looks like a great tool and is I am sure and I will purchase soon.
Thanks Wade

thats correct what you said, cause for me at that price it was a nobrainer therefore i am a impulsbyer ;) , also i am only a hobbiest.

jeric_synergy
05-24-2018, 11:17 AM
--redacted--

Y'know, I think I see what's going to happen to Modeler.

++++++++++++++

Question: is LAYOUT running the fabled Hydra mesh engine (whatever that means), while Modeler is not?

And, just since I'm here: Jadim, you are a hero here! :bowdown:

++++++++++

SHHHHHHH!!!!! ;)

Marander
05-24-2018, 12:51 PM
Question: is LAYOUT running the fabled Hydra mesh engine (whatever that means), while Modeler is not?

As far as I understand and NewTek stated yes that's the case.

However while LW 2018 is quite good in handling large meshes, Chronosculpt is a whole different beast. It sculpts giant geometry like butter.

Metamorphic (or better say LightWave) cannot handle such large meshes but has a good performance and offers other features (brush settings, easy keyframing etc.).

alexs3d
05-24-2018, 03:02 PM
if you want full texture painting and baking features to Metamorphic and more, please support jamil halabi on patreons, i am in ;)
https://www.patreon.com/user/overview?u=5449492

thx

jeric_synergy
05-24-2018, 06:58 PM
Didn't this start out as just a "corrective morph utility"??? --Amazing. I wish I needed it.

Bernie2Strokes
05-24-2018, 07:54 PM
I didn't realize this was his only form of income. I'm proud to say I purchased it, regardless that Chronosculpt has been upgraded.

calilifestyle
05-24-2018, 11:54 PM
Hey Jay you should at the link yo your sig.

Marander
05-25-2018, 12:03 AM
Hey Jay you should at the link yo your sig.

Yes and do some (free) marketing, inform sites like cgpress or cgchannel, cgtalk, post on FB etc (in case you haven't done yet).

CaptainMarlowe
05-25-2018, 12:45 AM
Honestly, if Jay3D is able to add pazinting and baking options to Lightwave, and considering all that have been done, it seems quite probable he is able to do this with great efficiency, and if Metamorphic is his only source of income, I think NT should really consider bringing him in-house (maybe they did, ofc, only speculation and Ŧ*outloud thinking*ŧ from me) because having these functions natively in LW could well be a game changer to attract new users or encourage current ones to upgrade to 2018 and after. I’ll buy it on monday when the paycheck’s here. I’m so fed up having my jaw dropping at each new update :)

raymondtrace
05-25-2018, 04:43 AM
Curiosity: has anyone else had trouble with Paypal? I've spent a couple days trying to check out as a guest with a credit card (tried 2 different cards) but the form just refreshed to itself and never processed. Paypal's guest checkout was used earlier this week for something else and it was fine. I wonder if something is misconfigured for the metamorphic payment link...or maybe GDPR quirks just recently appeared in Paypal's form.

I ended up going back and logging in with my Paypal account to make the transaction.

lardbros
05-25-2018, 05:34 AM
Not sure about c4d but you can do it in max and maya some free some paid plugins.

Which plugins do this in 3dsMax... Non-linear morphing between sculpts?

There's this built in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwae_NgqZAk but it's nowhere near to Metamorphic.

Anyway... Jamil, reckon you should post your Patreon link on here somewhere, I'm happy to support your dev work!

hypersuperduper
05-27-2018, 12:12 PM
Just purchased metamorphic and took it for a very short test spin. Absolutely fantastic plugin! I tried the convert to endomorph function and it works great! It can write over existing endomorphs no problem, So the corrective morph workflow for fbx exports to unity (morphs in morphmixer) is going to be completely painless. Also I love that it uses the regular old graph editor for key editing instead of its own timeline like the 3rd powers tools. Hoping to see pressure support for Mac, but wow! What a steal for $75. Anyone on the fence should just get it.

jeric_synergy
05-27-2018, 12:47 PM
Good info. Any other standout features? Nice point about the timeline.

hypersuperduper
05-27-2018, 01:05 PM
I’ve really only spent a few minutes with it, so I can’t really point out anything else, just that it seems so well thought out. If I find anything I feel is worth sharing I will.

jay3d
05-28-2018, 12:45 AM
Metamorphic 1.2.91 HOT FIX!

- Fixed minor bugs in the selection system

CaptainMarlowe
05-28-2018, 12:34 PM
10 minutes playing with it, and just wow. This plug-in is awesome. Big bravo for this work !

jay3d
05-29-2018, 01:53 AM
- Fixed bugs in the saving/loading system
- Added weight to selection conversion

Enjoy! AND BUY MORE!! :D

Bernie2Strokes
05-29-2018, 02:23 AM
Hi. I don't know why but for the past three updates the download links haven't worked for me. I've tried opening it with Google Chrome and Firefox.

fishhead
05-29-2018, 05:06 AM
Just tried the most recent download link with Firefox 60.0.1 on Win7 PC and it did work for me

jay3d
05-30-2018, 03:30 AM
- Utterly enhanced corrective morph algorithm preventing flipping coordinates

BUY IT NOW AT http://jhwerks.com/lightwave-plug-ins/

Feeling generous? You can also support further developments by sending funds to www.paypal.me/jay3dlinux

Thanks a lot!

https://youtu.be/vnZrtDWNekg

Marander
05-30-2018, 09:44 AM
So maybe we can expect weight painting in Metamorphic 1.5? ;-)

hypersuperduper
05-30-2018, 10:08 AM
I don’t know if I was the only person who reported the bug that this update fixed, but I reported the issue and BOOM! Fixed the next morning in an update! Everyone should get this plugin. We want this guy to make money so he makes lots more stuff!

omichon
05-30-2018, 10:31 AM

My advise to him, considering his financial situation, would be to consider that features are locked for v1 cycle, and focus only on bug fixes. Then, move on to a v2 paying upgrade, with some new features like painting :)
As I already said, for that price Metamorphic v1 is a great deal.

pbaroque20
05-30-2018, 10:43 AM

3rd Powers already has this. I think a significant big step would be to develop texture painting.

Marander
05-30-2018, 10:44 AM
My advise to him, considering his financial situation, would be to consider that features are locked for v1 cycle, and focus only on bug fixes. Then, move on to a v2 paying upgrade, with some new features like painting :)
As I already said, for that price Metamorphic v1 is a great deal.

+1 I wouldn't mind paying an upgrade if it contains Weight Painting. He could also increase the base price for that.

Marander
05-30-2018, 10:51 AM
3rd Powers already has this. I think a significant big step would be to develop texture painting.

Yes I know but I think it would still be great to have it in Metamorphic. Also Normal map baking would be a great addition. And the Sculpting ability to create geometry (not only modify existing one, but that wouldn't work for the morph poses, so not really possible I guess). Just some ideas.

jeric_synergy
05-30-2018, 06:45 PM
As a hobbiest, just a week's "HEADS UP!" before a price change, please!

I don't even need this, at all, but it sure is tempting. Such industry should be rewarded.

(The calls for SO MANY new features seems a bit unseemly, considering what it already can do.)

lardbros
05-31-2018, 07:17 AM
I hope everyone here has bought this and supported Jamil in some way... the development is great, and the tool is awesome so far. :)

CaptainMarlowe
05-31-2018, 12:28 PM
Hi guys, question to Mac users that bought the plug-in. Do the keyboard shortcuts work for you, and can you invert brush with ctrl or smooth with alt ? I had no luck with this, and don't know if it is a problem from my configuration or a Mac limitation ?

b8000
05-31-2018, 04:53 PM
if you want full texture painting and baking features to Metamorphic and more, please support jamil halabi on patreons, i am in ;)
https://www.patreon.com/user/overview?u=5449492

thx

I am in too :)

jay3d
06-01-2018, 04:54 AM
- Fixed many selection system bugs
- General stability fixes
- Implemented vertex weight painting

Enjoy!

omichon
06-01-2018, 05:15 AM
No kidding ! That last feature will definitely make some new customers :thumbsup:

fishhead
06-01-2018, 05:15 AM
:-) You are amazing! :-)

in regards to patreon: I am not to keen of having an institution - any institution for that matter, not only ones that seem to only exist in the "cloud" - draw money at will from my account, so I am probably not signing up for patreon but I am more than willing to support you by paid upgrades for both of the licences I purchased - or any more great tools you might come up with... :-)

CaptainMarlowe
06-01-2018, 05:22 AM
- Fixed many selection system bugs
- General stability fixes
- Implemented vertex weight painting

Enjoy!

Hey Jay, thanks for the update. I understand from your picture that you can edit weight map with select function and modify checked ? If so, I get an instant crash on Mac, whatever the object used, even the simplest one, like the one attached. As soon as I click on any point with modify and select, it crashes, reliable 100% on several different objects, at least on my config.

TheLexx
06-01-2018, 05:42 AM
Reaching the stage where I may have to buy it just to support the guy.....

jay3d
06-01-2018, 05:52 AM
Hey Jay, thanks for the update. I understand from your picture that you can edit weight map with select function and modify checked ? If so, I get an instant crash on Mac, whatever the object used, even the simplest one, like the one attached. As soon as I click on any point with modify and select, it crashes, reliable 100% on several different objects, at least on my config.

Anyone have the same crash on Windows?

From what I see it's Mac specific, I'll work on a fix

CaptainMarlowe
06-01-2018, 06:14 AM
Thanks a lot !
Concerning the keyboards shortcuts for Mac (i sometimes wonder if I am your only Mac customer :D ), do you think you'll find a fix at some point (it's not a showstopper, but it would be fine nonetheless).
This plug-in is beyond a must-have.

fishhead
06-01-2018, 06:43 AM
Anyone have the same crash on Windows? ...

I am on Win7 SP1 - using 2018.0.4: seems to work okay!

CaptainMarlowe
06-01-2018, 06:46 AM
Did you try to modify the weight value ?

fishhead
06-01-2018, 06:58 AM
Did you try to modify the weight value ?

Okay, seems something is odd - at first it appeared to work fine - I was able to reduce the 100% value (it actually jumped to Zero - maybe thatīs because I use a tablet [?!?] symptoms seem familiar when to run LW on a tablet while having Mouse-mode active...)
But if I try to use "select" I got the attached error:
If I try to click that requestor away and try some more times to use select - depends 2 or 3 times: I get LWīs crashreporter...

jay3d
06-01-2018, 07:05 AM
Okay, seems something is odd - at first it appeared to work fine - I was able to reduce the 100% value (it actually jumped to Zero - maybe thatīs because I use a tablet [?!?] symptoms seem familiar when to run LW on a tablet while having Mouse-mode active...)
But if I try to use "select" I got the attached error:
If I try to click that requestor away and try some more times to use select - depends 2 or 3 times: I get LWīs crashreporter...

Try to remove the plugin completely and add it again to layout, also when using tablet make sure layout is set to tablet mode, otherwise it will get weird

CaptainMarlowe
06-01-2018, 07:39 AM
A fix already ! Man, you are a machine ! :)
A question, if you go to zero weight on a point, there's no going back, right ?

fishhead
06-01-2018, 07:40 AM
I removed it completely - started LW new and added metamorphic again... It seems that I can do pretty much everything as long as I leave "select" alone - no matter if weightmaps are selected or not...141907
Have yet to restart the complete system, though - will have to wait for this a moment longer for a download to finish...

Marander
06-01-2018, 07:48 AM
I removed it completely - started LW new and added metamorphic again... It seems that I can do pretty much everything as long as I leave "select" alone - no matter if weightmaps are selected or not...141907
Have yet to restart the complete system, though - will have to wait for this a moment longer for a download to finish...

First, thanks for implementing Weight Painting!

I confirm I have an issue on Win10 with version 1.3.5 when using the Select function. I get the error message: Unknown command: "ModCommand_Metamorphic". Afterwards Layout crashes.

Marander
06-01-2018, 07:51 AM
Thanks a lot !
Concerning the keyboards shortcuts for Mac (i sometimes wonder if I am your only Mac customer :D ), do you think you'll find a fix at some point (it's not a showstopper, but it would be fine nonetheless).
This plug-in is beyond a must-have.

I have a similar issue on Windows using an international Keyboard Layout. I wrote this to the developer:

I have one small issue:

When I use selections (that work great by the way), when deselecting, some points are sometimes left selected. This is not a big issue but I cannot use the hotkeys to completely clear the selection or invert it for example, because the SHIFT-7 ( / key ) are not working in the international keyboard layout (pressing 7 or / brings up the Schematic view).

This leads to the situation, that sometimes I cannot do any sculpting again, because some points are still selected and I cannot find any way to deselect them.

Can you please add the selection buttons like Deselect or Invert (or actually all hotkeys) additionally to the plugin GUI as buttons?

CaptainMarlowe
06-01-2018, 08:19 AM
I have a similar issue on Windows using an international Keyboard Layout. I wrote this to the developer:

I have one small issue:

When I use selections (that work great by the way), when deselecting, some points are sometimes left selected. This is not a big issue but I cannot use the hotkeys to completely clear the selection or invert it for example, because the SHIFT-7 ( / key ) are not working in the international keyboard layout (pressing 7 or / brings up the Schematic view).

This leads to the situation, that sometimes I cannot do any sculpting again, because some points are still selected and I cannot find any way to deselect them.

Can you please add the selection buttons like Deselect or Invert (or actually all hotkeys) additionally to the plugin GUI as buttons?

Right, I have an international keyboard too (AZERTY), that may be the source of the issue.

fishhead
06-01-2018, 08:47 AM
Okay, restart of system did do some good for almost a minute here... But then I got a crash again. After another LW-Restart it crashed instantly after trying to modify the first Vertex...
A wild guess: Might it be possible that the function writes something into certain memory-areas and is not able to free them again and after starting up another session it still finds those memory-areas occupied an then crashes?!? I have absolutely no clue about coding at all but it seems after restarting the pc it helps for a moment - all memory freed - but after that first try it just crashes instantly...

After system restart was able to edit a little: 141911 After that first crash: instantly ever after: 141912

BTW: I was not able to add weights (as long as it worked..) - only basically reduce them to Zero value) - maybe you could add a video that demonstartes the proper workflow for weightpainting?
Just in case I do not get it at all - which clearly might be possible... ;-]

jeric_synergy
06-01-2018, 06:36 PM
A question, if you go to zero weight on a point, there's no going back, right ?
(non-owner) That should NOT be the case, as negative weights are possible.

Not-being a member of a weight map is entirely different from a w.map value of zero.

If I'm understanding your point correctly. :santa:

pbaroque20
06-01-2018, 07:39 PM
I'm also having selection crashes. I'm using Win 7 Ultimate. After selecting vertices, and I select again to de-select it crashes.

CaptainMarlowe
06-02-2018, 01:11 AM
(non-owner) That should NOT be the case, as negative weights are possible.

Not-being a member of a weight map is entirely different from a w.map value of zero.

If I'm understanding your point correctly. :santa:

I know that WM can have negative values. But for now, at least with metamorphic on Mac, I just managed to go from any value above zero up or down (no problem to go above zero), but not on negative values, and once a value drops to zero, I’m unable to crank it up again. Weight maps edition in metamorphic seems a bit limited for now, but I have no doubt it will get better with time. Yet, it’s not the main goal of the plug-in.

CaptainMarlowe
06-02-2018, 05:54 AM
I tried this morning to sculpt a terrain from a flat plane with metamorphic, add details and then get a quick retopo with OD_tools easy mesh simplifier, in order to later paint and bake maps in substance painter. It was a quick test, but definitely encouraging. As a side not, even if tablet pressure is not enabled on Mac, I sculpted that with a pen/tablet and my 3D-connexion for navigating the object. Very cool.

jeric_synergy
06-02-2018, 12:37 PM
and once a value drops to zero, I’m unable to crank it up again.
That has got to be a bug then. Fortunately, Jadim seems to be on them like a terrier on a rat, so it won't be around for long.

CaptainMarlowe
06-02-2018, 12:51 PM
I sure hope, but, I’m condifent, yes.

jeric_synergy
06-02-2018, 03:13 PM
::taps chin::.... I wonder if it's some sort of MULTIPLY function: the "stuck at zero" makes me think that, if you're not ADDING to a value, if you are multiplying it, once you get to zero you are out of luck.

lardbros
06-03-2018, 02:48 AM
I did some tests of a 1million poly sphere, and I seem to get a pause for a couple of seconds at the end of my sculpt stroke.
Does anyone else see that?

If I continue the mouse click, it's smooth and feels fine, but as soon as I let go it pauses for 2 or 3 seconds, and then I can sculpt again. I'm sure this didn't happen in earlier versions, but I'm not sure now.

Anyone else seen this?

My machine is a dual xeon, 80gb Ram, with an Nvidia 1050Ti

Marander
06-03-2018, 03:43 AM
I did some tests of a 1million poly sphere, and I seem to get a pause for a couple of seconds at the end of my sculpt stroke.
Does anyone else see that?

If I continue the mouse click, it's smooth and feels fine, but as soon as I let go it pauses for 2 or 3 seconds, and then I can sculpt again. I'm sure this didn't happen in earlier versions, but I'm not sure now.

Anyone else seen this?

My machine is a dual xeon, 80gb Ram, with an Nvidia 1050Ti

I can confirm that with 1 Mio polys there is about a second delay after finishing the stroke (which is very smooth and controllable). With 500k polys about 0.5sec and with 250k polys almost not noticable anymore.

But that's the same in versions 1.2 7, 1.3.0 and 1.3.5. Not a big issue to me tough.

Tested with Surface Smoothing on (but that doesn't make a difference I guess) on two machines, 8-12 core, 64 GB RAM, Dual 970GTX / 1080GTX.

lardbros
06-03-2018, 04:12 AM
Ah, okay... Thanks for confirming. It's not a huge issue, but if I was trying to sculpt a head out of the mesh, this would make it quite difficult to do. I'm guessing it's just a limitation of the system.

jwiede
06-03-2018, 02:51 PM
Ah, okay... Thanks for confirming. It's not a huge issue, but if I was trying to sculpt a head out of the mesh, this would make it quite difficult to do. I'm guessing it's just a limitation of the system.

That's getting into the kind of task (and geometry density) where an actual sculpting app/system would be better-suited / more efficient.

lardbros
06-03-2018, 03:11 PM
Yeah, just asking if anyone else had the issue, rather than it just being my machine or something.
I use 3dcoat for sculpting anyway... So was just asking.

Marander
06-03-2018, 03:38 PM
That's getting into the kind of task (and geometry density) where an actual sculpting app/system would be better-suited / more efficient.

Yes that's right. Also due to the fact that Metamorphic doesn't create geometry but only displaces existing one. Nevertheless a great plugin.

jay3d
06-13-2018, 01:57 AM
- Much more streamlined UI with multiple modes for the painting brush
- Introduced basic weight map and vertex color map creation and editing
- Many bugs fixed and more performance improvements

Enjoy!

A special note for Mac users:
As you all know, the hotkeys system available on Windows platform is not _yet_ working on Mac, so such things as changing tools by pressing hot keys, temporarily toggling the smooth tool while sculpting .. etc. won't work the way it's working on Windows. Part of that is the difficulty implied using macOS Objective-C to hack around those (macOS API is not hacking friendly), but nevertheless I'm working hard investigating available options to overcome those limitations.
But the core functionality of the plugin is the same on both, so there's nothing to worry about regarding that.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for your understanding!
Now go do some awesome sculpts!

lardbros
06-13-2018, 06:59 AM
Really, really cool Jamil!!! Installing NOW! :D

Marander
06-13-2018, 09:53 AM
The new Weight / Vertex Map creation or paint function don't work for me, I get an immediate crash (same as with 1.3.5).

Using Metamorphic 1.4.0 in LW2018.0.4 on Win10 Pro with a 500x500 poly Sphere.

CaptainMarlowe
06-13-2018, 01:55 PM
Works for me on my Mac, both color map and weight map creations. Weight map painting is very slugish, though. I wonder if it is necessary to keep the numeric data of each vertex displayed, I guess this is quite ressource consumming.

Edit : BTW, love the new UI.

jay3d
06-14-2018, 01:02 AM
- Fixed a crash when creating a new key
- Fixed weight painting behavior
- Zero sculpt now respects selection

Enjoy!

alexs3d
06-14-2018, 04:30 AM
Hi Jamil,

thanks for the update, i did test it yesterday but colorpainting did not work, created a colormap but i could not paint, no color was shown.
Will test it today with the .1 update.

also like CaptainMarlowe commented, weight painting is very slugish with dense meshes.

thanks for your work
best wishes

raymondtrace
06-14-2018, 07:56 AM
...i did test it yesterday but colorpainting did not work, created a colormap but i could not paint, no color was shown.
Will test it today with the .1 update...

I noticed the same (no color brush) but assumed I was doing something wrong (I'm a completely new user).

I'm not seeing anything different with 1.4.1.

OFF
06-14-2018, 09:48 AM
How to paint with Metamorphic:

"You have to go to the node editor of the object's material and add a vertex color node, and connect it to color input of material, then you select the created map from the node."

raymondtrace
06-14-2018, 10:06 AM
Thanks! User error is resolved.

Are you copying that from some documentation I overlooked?

Marander
06-14-2018, 01:04 PM
Great, Metamorphic works now!

My mistake for the crashes I think because I just replaced the .p file, which caused problems / crashes. When I removed the two plugin entries and scanned my plugin directory again, it worked.

About the weight display, maybe displaying the numbers could be made optional with a checkbox.

jay3d
06-15-2018, 12:45 AM
- More accessible common sculpting tools options
- Added Smudge sculpt tool

Enjoy!

Marander
06-15-2018, 04:11 AM
- More accessible common sculpting tools options
- Added Smudge sculpt tool

Enjoy!

Just installed and tested, works great! Very stable too.

The Sculpt brushes work incredibly smooth now. Selection buttons help for the keyboard layout issue with the updated UI.

Maybe the option to display or hide the numbers in Weight mode and speed optimizations for Weight Painting and I'm completely happy (way more than I expected in the beginning).

CaptainMarlowe
06-15-2018, 05:27 AM
Just installed and tested, works great! Very stable too.

The Sculpt brushes work incredibly smooth now. Selection buttons help for the keyboard layout issue with the updated UI.

Maybe the option to display or hide the numbers in Weight mode and speed optimizations for Weight Painting and I'm completely happy (way more than I expected in the beginning).

100% agree

vipvip242
06-15-2018, 06:00 AM
I agree too, and something very basic but usefull : indicate on title bar of the windows on which mesh metamorphic is working on : actually, it is difficult to immedialy see it when multiple metamophic windows are opened...
In this case too, a simple direct-acces on/off button to switch immedialy between these MM windows would be nice too to fluidify a little more the workflow: in this case, the basic scuplt option should be accessible by default (directly on screen when opening the MM window), i belevieve these MM function are basicaly the one which will be used the most frequently by users...
Thanks

CaptainMarlowe
06-15-2018, 06:41 AM
Just noticed in the options that it was possible to hide vertices values in selections. Weight mapping is still a bit sluggish, but much easier to do. 1.4 is really a great update.

raw-m
06-16-2018, 06:49 AM
Really sorry but I just can't get this plugin to work on a Mac. It was fine a couple of versions back but now instantly crashes LW just by clicking the Metamorphic button I've added to a menu.

I've removed plugin and re-added but still get an instant crash. Are there instructions to totally wipe Metamorphic from my Mac so I start fresh?

Weirdly, when I clear the plugins it comes up as being a Modeller plugin as well. Is this right?

raw-m
06-16-2018, 07:02 AM
OK - update!! I think I've been applying it wrongly. You need to add it to an object directly from the Properties, don't try to add or access Metamorphic as a button in the UI or LW will crash instantly!!

Even so, doing it the wrong way shouldn't crash LW - I'd prefer a warning/how-to dialog! One for the list, Jamil!?

Great plugin :D

Qexit
06-16-2018, 07:28 AM
OK - update!! I think I've been applying it wrongly. You need to add it to an object directly from the Properties, don't try to add or access Metamorphic as a button in the UI or LW will crash instantly!!

Even so, doing it the wrong way shouldn't crash LW - I'd prefer a warning/how-to dialog! One for the list, Jamil!?

Great plugin :DWell, that is the method shown by Jamil in his original 'Getting Started With Metamorphic' video:

https://youtu.be/UwaNHpbMDzc?list=PL2TBrBgdxfqy7pZKIZcWrXllaccSmKpR 8

Look at around 50seconds in. You open Object Properties and add Metamorphic as a modifier. That is the only way I have been adding it, it never occured to me to use any other method.

raw-m
06-16-2018, 07:32 AM
Thanks Qexit, you're right - I could have sworn I used the UI button first time I had it, but wrong - apologies all!!

jay3d
06-25-2018, 04:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HkrKoGzydY

- New Smudge sculpt tool
- Introduction of Blur tool to most brush modes
- Added Vertex Normal Maps editing
- Can now bake the sculpts to Vertex Normal Maps
- Much better masking and weight painting tools

GET YOUR HANDS ON THIS AMAZING TOOL NOW!! http://jhwerks.com/lightwave-plug-ins/

Marander
06-25-2018, 04:44 AM
Another great update, thanks Jay!

Even with normal map baking, incredible!

HenrikSkoglund
07-06-2018, 01:11 AM
Extremely interesting, I will probably buy this plugin anyway but: How does this work, can it be used on any object? Does it create new geometry when f.e. the surface is pushed outwards or do you need a object with very high density?

alexs3d
07-06-2018, 01:27 AM
Extremely interesting, I will probably buy this plugin anyway but: How does this work, can it be used on any object? Does it create new geometry when f.e. the surface is pushed outwards or do you need a object with very high density?

Hi,

it is definitely a nobrainer this plugin ;) , it works on many objects, also on subdiv but it is a little bit slower on subdiv object, but in generel it works really fast and smooth.

it doesnīt create new geometry

it also works also with instancing, you can paint instances with the vertex and weight paint tool, which is really cool, so it works great for landscaping for placing/paintig grass, rockts etc. ...

hope i could help you
alexs

HenrikSkoglund
07-06-2018, 02:26 AM
Hi,

it is definitely a nobrainer this plugin ;) , it works on many objects, also on subdiv but it is a little bit slower on subdiv object, but in generel it works really fast and smooth.

it also works also with instancing, you can paint instances with the vertex and weight paint tool, which is really cool, so it works great for landscaping for placing/paintig grass, rockts etc. ...

hope i could help you
alexs

Ok thanks for the answer! I guess that means that you often need to use really high density meshes to work something nice out of it?
I'm going to have to give this a try really soon.

prometheus
07-06-2018, 07:23 AM
Hi,

hope i could help you
alexs

Interesting, I used to do workarounds with painting in modeler, switching to layout and it would update anyway if you have set your weights right with gradients in the instancing weight.
I would like to see a demonstration on how fast it updates the instances when painting with weight paint.
Ideally ..I would like to have a brush controlling also erase and scaling of instances, if that happens, we are starting to ge a matching Vue eco paint system, and I would probably only need a tool for setting a weight amount percentage for various loaded objects in the instancer.

raymondtrace
07-06-2018, 09:01 AM
...I guess that means that you often need to use really high density meshes to work something nice out of it?...

While one could perceive this as a modeling tool from the video demonstrations on spheres, it is (was*) primarily a morph tool, which follows the long-standing principle of maintaining point count to allow proper deformations.

(*"was" before Mr. Halabi went wild by adding so many other capabilities. In addition to sculpting existing geometry, you can also paint weight/normal/color. )

Marander
07-06-2018, 11:22 AM
Interesting, I used to do workarounds with painting in modeler, switching to layout and it would update anyway if you have set your weights right with gradients in the instancing weight.
I would like to see a demonstration on how fast it updates the instances when painting with weight paint.
Ideally ..I would like to have a brush controlling also erase and scaling of instances, if that happens, we are starting to ge a matching Vue eco paint system, and I would probably only need a tool for setting a weight amount percentage for various loaded objects in the instancer.

Well, basically it works to simply paint instances (and it does it pretty well) but that's just it (as in the current version). The plugin does already much more than in the beginning which is great.

However it would require an enormous amount of additional functionality to match the Vue EcoPaint (and it would probably never be as fast)

e-on CarbonScatter and Vue EcoPaint is specialized for environments and offers much more:

- it doesn't require any weight or vertex map, node and instancing setup, just start painting
- it can paint an insane amount of objects
- painting with pen pressure has direct influence on the object placement, not just via weight map
- create automatic variations (rocks, foliage) of the instanced objects
- plant and rock Content browser directly from Eco Painting
- plants can be modified procedurally in the built-in Plant Editor with tons of settings
- allow (stackable) Effectors: Single instance, Populate area, Eraser, Scaling, Coloring, Magnet, Lean, Rake/Ripple, Grid align, Jitter, Raise, Lower, Move, Attractor, Tornado, Rotate
- the Effectors have individual attributes that even include wind angle or strength, stacking, density, falloffs, masks, hug underlying object etc.
- the Effectors are also available as Brush tools
- Altitude constraints and ranges, Fuzziness top/bottom, Slope ranges and influence, Orientation tightness, Steep/Flat, Range by object/material/relative to sea/absolute
- Clumping amount and size, proportional/absolute Offset from surface, Avoid overlapping, Decay near foreign objects, 360 degree population
- Selection sets and Population selections
- various adaptive display modes
- LOD, Wind simulation
- Brush presets with automatic population settings like Spring Forest, Autumn Forest, Mountain Forest, Grass etc.
- Layers with Affinity or Repulsion
- Alphas
- Fast population, Dynamic population, Particle motion, Baking

prometheus
07-08-2018, 10:34 AM
Well, basically it works to simply paint instances (and it does it pretty well) but that's just it (as in the current version). The plugin does already much more than in the beginning which is great.

However it would require an enormous amount of additional functionality to match the Vue EcoPaint (and it would probably never be as fast)

e-on CarbonScatter and Vue EcoPaint is specialized for environments and offers much more:

- it doesn't require any weight or vertex map, node and instancing setup, just start painting
- it can paint an insane amount of objects
- painting with pen pressure has direct influence on the object placement, not just via weight map
- create automatic variations (rocks, foliage) of the instanced objects
- plant and rock Content browser directly from Eco Painting
- plants can be modified procedurally in the built-in Plant Editor with tons of settings
- allow (stackable) Effectors: Single instance, Populate area, Eraser, Scaling, Coloring, Magnet, Lean, Rake/Ripple, Grid align, Jitter, Raise, Lower, Move, Attractor, Tornado, Rotate
- the Effectors have individual attributes that even include wind angle or strength, stacking, density, falloffs, masks, hug underlying object etc.
- the Effectors are also available as Brush tools
- Altitude constraints and ranges, Fuzziness top/bottom, Slope ranges and influence, Orientation tightness, Steep/Flat, Range by object/material/relative to sea/absolute
- Clumping amount and size, proportional/absolute Offset from surface, Avoid overlapping, Decay near foreign objects, 360 degree population
- Selection sets and Population selections
- various adaptive display modes
- LOD, Wind simulation
- Brush presets with automatic population settings like Spring Forest, Autumn Forest, Mountain Forest, Grass etc.
- Layers with Affinity or Repulsion
- Alphas
- Fast population, Dynamic population, Particle motion, Baking

Yeah..I watched some painting of instances on Oliver Hotz vimeo page, I think it may be good enough even if it doesnīt match vueīs speed and functionality.
I remember learning to paint lsystems in houdini ..where you also set up a scaling node so you could re-scale the lsystem treeīs by brushing over them with various controls.

OBJECT PERCENTAGE CONTROLS FOR LOADED OBJECTS TO INSTANCE...
What I really would like in the Native instance system, that would be drag and drop of objects from a preset folder, so you could just pick rock1, rock,2, rock 3 and drag and drop to the instancer menu, and at the same time there should be a
percentage control for each of those loaded objects in the instancer menu, so you could give rock 1 a percentage of 10%, rock 2 maybe 47% and so on....that would make the instancing process take on more natural variations based on some basic given rules...and it would start to match a little bit of vueīs eco paint, which also has this workflow built in by giving various objects a certain percentage and then populate.
Vue also has a nice way of reducing instances around a huge rock for example.

Havenīt installed the latest vue ple yet, will have to give it ago this week though, and check the new metaclouds etc.

Marander
07-08-2018, 12:00 PM
Vue xStream 2016.6 supports native instances in several applications but unfortunately not for LW. At least xStream 2016.6 works now with LW2018. Normal EcoSystems work of course.

xStream is quite expensive but the only landscape solution that is so well integrated in several host applications.

Marander
07-08-2018, 01:43 PM
P.S. sorry for derailing the thread.

I'm looking forward to see what the dev maybe planned / implemented for Metamorphic 1.5...

HenrikSkoglund
07-08-2018, 03:12 PM
Well I guess for spraying objects/vegetation onto a lanscape we always have Hurleyworks Advanced Placement.

Marander
07-08-2018, 04:33 PM
Well I guess for spraying objects/vegetation onto a lanscape we always have Hurleyworks Advanced Placement.

Well, I have it but it doesn't work in 2018 and in 2015 it was never really stable for me (and others as I read in this forum). The dev mentioned that he's working in a new version that also works in 2018.

HenrikSkoglund
07-09-2018, 07:39 AM
Well, I have it but it doesn't work in 2018 and in 2015 it was never really stable for me (and others as I read in this forum). The dev mentioned that he's working in a new version that also works in 2018.

Ouch, didn't know that? I presumed it would work by now. Haven't used it for a while obviously.

jwiede
07-10-2018, 12:50 PM

Really? I found Hurleyworks' Advanced Placement fairly stable in LW2015.3 (Mac64). What quantities were you using? I've seen stability go down when working with huge quantities of items, but he's pretty clear that AP isn't really meant for huge quantities of items, either.

Probably worth taking to a separate thread, in any case.

Marander
07-10-2018, 01:55 PM
Really? I found Hurleyworks' Advanced Placement fairly stable in LW2015.3 (Mac64). What quantities were you using? I've seen stability go down when working with huge quantities of items, but he's pretty clear that AP isn't really meant for huge quantities of items, either.

Probably worth taking to a separate thread, in any case.

Yes I had many random crashes in AP (up to the latest versions) in Win10. It was frustrating to use so I gave it up.

The dev himself mentioned in a recent post: "... I'm hoping that I can use this new found knowledge help get around some of current AP/LW issues."

silviotoledo
07-11-2018, 06:27 AM
Looks great Jay!

How do we store the data?

May we save as endomorph?
How do we save the micro details? as displacement map?
May we import the deformed data library to use in another scene?
How do we mix the imported data?

jay3d
07-12-2018, 02:03 AM
Looks great Jay!

How do we store the data?
>> The data is saved with the scene file

May we save as endomorph?
>> Yes

How do we save the micro details? as displacement map?
>> This is purely a deformation plugin, please explain what do you mean by "micro details"?

May we import the deformed data library to use in another scene?
>> You can use the Endomorphs that are saved from the plugin in any means you want

How do we mix the imported data?
>> The plugin has a built-in morph mixer interface with convenient driver/driven capability

Cheers!

silviotoledo
07-12-2018, 08:00 AM
Thanks a lot Jay!

" This is purely a deformation plugin, please explain what do you mean by "micro details"? "

So is the amount of details related to the amount of polys the base object has?

If the plugin deforms objects after sub-D there will be more details than a morph can store 'cause morph does not consider sub-D, so it would be necessary to export a displacement map too.

jeric_synergy
07-13-2018, 12:01 AM
I think you are misunderstanding what the plugin does.

glw
07-13-2018, 02:22 AM
The plugin is awesome and, in my humble opinion, makes ChronoSculpt uninstallable. There's a few things though that need work:

1) Online, minimal documentation explaining function usage, for example:
-how do we/why would we use the UVMAP option in sculpt mode?
-what does clamp strength do?
-etc.

2) Metamorphic currently steals control of your keyboard even after Lightwave has been minimized. This means that if you get an email while you're working on something and you minimize Lightwave while Metamorphic is active, Metamorphic blocks you from using keys like "space" and "f" in the other application. It's seriously annoying.

3) The Key editor could be better (see attached, something similar to what exists in ChronoSculpt would be nice).

4) Metamorphic should be backwards compatible. I did a bunch of work in 1.2.9 and when I updated to 1.3x, I lost it all (which meant that I either had to continue using 1.2.9 or redo everything in 1.3x, not knowing if I'll have to go through the same thing when 1.5x comes out).

5) A way to switch between manipulating "surface" geometry and "global" geometry like in LWBrush. Currently, I have to put individual elements that I want to tweak on separate layers which simply creates more work. Let's say I have a character with clothes and leather straps and at certain moments during the animation the straps get lost beneath the clothing. Ideally, I'd like to be able to select the strap geometry, manipulate it, then switch to the clothing, adjust it to match the straps, then switch to global mode and manipulate all three surfaces together (in this example, the character, the straps and the clothes). So, basically I want LWBrush functionality within Metamorphic.

6) Currently, if you have the Metamorphic plugin added to multiple objects in a scene, for example, objects 1 and 2, and you switch between object 1 and object 2, both of which have the Metamorphic plugin in their respective stacks, without deactivating (selecting none in the drop-down menu) Metamorphic on object 1, Metamorphic doesn't respond on object 2 when you activate Metamorphic. Metamorphic should automatically deactivate/close all other instances of the plugin when you activate it. So I should be able to work on object 1, then switch to object 2 , double click Metamorphic and start working immediately. This, of course, isn't that critical when you only have a couple objects using Metamorphic in a scene, but when you have 10 plus, it's super tedious and annoying rifling through your objects to find the object you forgot to deactivate.

Marander
07-13-2018, 04:15 AM
I'm happy with what the plugin does but a great enhancement would be if there would be a possibility to export / transfer the generated normal map to another (low poly) object. Maybe it is already possible but I don't know how.

erikals
07-18-2018, 07:39 AM
application inspiration > sSculpt  (Chronosculpt+)

https://vimeo.com/279434808

erikals
07-19-2018, 09:30 AM
application inspiration > sSculpt  (Chronosculpt+)

https://vimeo.com/279434808

for some reason the above built in video doesn't always show

raymondtrace
07-19-2018, 12:26 PM
...for some reason the above built in video doesn't always show

It depends if Flash is installed and enabled for the browser. I don't see it because I'm not running Flash.

jwiede
07-19-2018, 07:23 PM
2) Metamorphic currently steals control of your keyboard even after Lightwave has been minimized. This means that if you get an email while you're working on something and you minimize Lightwave while Metamorphic is active, Metamorphic blocks you from using keys like "space" and "f" in the other application. It's seriously annoying.

Yeah, that's really bad behavior, it can lead to really unfortunate surprises.

Oddly, on Mac, I'm encountering an "opposite"-ish problem: I can't get Metamorphic 1.4.5 to respond to keystrokes at ALL. I can't get it to undo Metamorphic actions by ctrl-Z or cmd-Z even when the Metamorphic panel/window has focus, nor get "p"/"f"/etc. to change sculpt mode -- keystrokes are just sent to Layout and processed using Layout meanings, never by Metamorphic (or at least I can't get them to be). The gadgets work to trigger actions, but the associated keystrokes never seem to do so with either Layout main window, viewport, or Metamorphic window/panel with focus. Metamorphic.plugin 1.4.5 (About text) created 28Jun2018. Go figure.

Anyone else on Mac (10.13?) encountered similar issues with MacLW 2018.0.5 & Metamorphic 1.4.5?

Teruchan
07-20-2018, 06:37 AM
incredible..... NT can you reactivate cheap 2018 upgrade . this thing just sold me 2018!!!!

Tell me about it! I would buy this instant just because of this plugin! (might have to do it anyway. :cry: )

CaptainMarlowe
07-20-2018, 11:08 AM
Yeah, that's really bad behavior, it can lead to really unfortunate surprises.

Oddly, on Mac, I'm encountering an "opposite"-ish problem: I can't get Metamorphic 1.4.5 to respond to keystrokes at ALL. I can't get it to undo Metamorphic actions by ctrl-Z or cmd-Z even when the Metamorphic panel/window has focus, nor get "p"/"f"/etc. to change sculpt mode -- keystrokes are just sent to Layout and processed using Layout meanings, never by Metamorphic (or at least I can't get them to be). The gadgets work to trigger actions, but the associated keystrokes never seem to do so with either Layout main window, viewport, or Metamorphic window/panel with focus. Metamorphic.plugin 1.4.5 (About text) created 28Jun2018. Go figure.

Anyone else on Mac (10.13?) encountered similar issues with MacLW 2018.0.5 & Metamorphic 1.4.5?

Yes, same for me, here.

jwiede
07-20-2018, 03:02 PM
Yes, same for me, here.

I sent the bug to Jamil by email as well, hopefully he'll figure out what's going on there. It's kind of a major annoyance to always have to use UI widgets in Metamorphic panel (on Mac).

Mastoy
07-30-2018, 08:20 AM
The plugin cannot be bought anymore :(

samurai_x
07-30-2018, 08:29 AM
Hopefully NT bought it.

raw-m
07-30-2018, 08:39 AM
Wha!!!???? I do hope this means NewTek has bought it! It’s got tonnes of potential!!

alexs3d
07-30-2018, 09:02 AM
whaaaaat !! strange.

stoecklem
07-30-2018, 09:19 AM
This definitely has me worried and I hope we get some news soon...this plugin looks amazing and I was definitely planning on buying. With two kids in daycare and 3D being a hobby as of now, I'm pretty broke all the time.

erikals
07-30-2018, 09:33 AM
I'm pretty broke all the time.
LightWaver's are always broke...

https://i.imgur.com/yddQn25.gif

raymondtrace
07-30-2018, 11:35 AM
Wha!!!???? I do hope this means NewTek has bought it!...

This is indeed the kind of message that appears when NewTek buys a developer's product but there's also a fear that some patent troll woke up. Or maybe there's a new, evolved tool he's about to release. Hoping for the best, regardless.

prometheus
07-30-2018, 11:50 AM
This is indeed the kind of message that appears when NewTek buys a developer's product but there's also a fear that some patent troll woke up. Or maybe there's a new, evolved tool he's about to release. Hoping for the best, regardless.

My best hope for it would be that Newtek bought it to provide it within the next lw release, no more additional plugin, or standalone chronosculpt...though I need to look in to if it can cover all chronosculpt aspects.
If it arrives Natively to lightwave..then the newtek team would finally be implementing what I said chronosculpt should be from the very beginning, inside lightwave, and it would also start to cover basic sculpting needs.
Would be exciting if it maybe arrives within the next release.

But just guessing, and they would need to make sure they have people that can continue to develop it.

Tim Parsons
07-30-2018, 01:09 PM
Better yet - maybe NT hired Jamil on as a full-time developer with a signing bonus to get Metamorphic.

OnlineRender
07-30-2018, 01:19 PM
LightWaver's are always broke...

https://i.imgur.com/yddQn25.gif

I'm so broke the children of Ethiopia made a donation.

rustythe1
07-30-2018, 01:41 PM

Or maybe just a major bug fix for the above reported bugs, he probably doesn't want needless bug reports, or a small bug could maybe mean a major rethink in a bigger way, a small bug fix could easily cause a butterfly effect of other problems.

TheLexx
07-30-2018, 01:47 PM
Or maybe just a major bug fix for the above reported bugs, he probably doesn't want needless bug reports, or a small bug could maybe mean a major rethink in a bigger way, a small bug fix could easily cause a butterfly effect of other problems.Problem is it currently says in caps NO MORE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE on the plug-in page, implying something else.

http://jhwerks.com/lightwave-plug-ins/

jwiede
07-30-2018, 02:31 PM
Well, Jay3D still has obligations to existing paying customers, so hopefully he'll provide some sort of communication to us as to what's going on, how any further product bugs will be handled, and so forth. I sent him detailed info about a bug just about a month ago now, and still haven't received any reply.

It's a concerning situation, hope he's okay, and gets back to us soon.

Mastoy
07-30-2018, 02:39 PM
Or maybe he's just going dark and silent for 2 years and people in this forum will be fine with it ?

Wait.

jwiede
07-30-2018, 02:40 PM
Or maybe just a major bug fix for the above reported bugs, he probably doesn't want needless bug reports, or a small bug could maybe mean a major rethink in a bigger way, a small bug fix could easily cause a butterfly effect of other problems.

That's not really a legit. reason to stop selling a product altogether, nor an accceptable justification to stop responding to existing customers in general.

Let's wait and see what happens, it hasn't been that long yet. While the message isn't exactly reassuring, it might not be a worst-case scenario.

OnlineRender
07-30-2018, 02:41 PM
Or maybe he's just going dark and silent for 2 years and people in this forum will be fine with it ?

Wait.

closer to 3 if we are being pedantic

TheLexx
07-30-2018, 03:09 PM
That's not really a legit. reason to stop selling a product altogether, nor an accceptable justification to stop responding to existing customers in general.

You're totally right of course, but in practise should he be held to the same standards of a retail store or a company ? He is one talented guy but seemed to be burning midnight oil alone and I think many 'wavers sensed it was almost too good to be true. The updates come thick and fast for what can't have been much reward, and now uncertainty in the Darwinian 3D landscape. I admire you and others for buying, especially since I was one of those who was "going to get round to it" when maybe it should have been a no-brainer to support him from the outset.

But hopefully this hindsight is premature and he will bounce back. :)

Marander
07-30-2018, 03:33 PM
While I like the plugin as it is...

- The plugin is by no means a replacement for ChronoSculpt or the like. LW2018 is generally already good in handling static mesh data but CS is a whole different beast when loading and manipulating animation cache / large geometry.

- This is really not good business practice, the text 'NO MORE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE' is just somewhere in the middle of the text

- It's not a good signal to existing or potential customers.

- The website was not updated since long (besides the new 'disclaimer'), the plugin dialog and feature set has changed quite a while ago and I was wondering why he didn't update the site web page about the new features and some updated screenshots (that takes just a couple of minutes) or a documentation. There seems little to no marketing efforts.

erikals
07-30-2018, 05:56 PM
I'm pretty broke all the time.

LightWaver's are always broke... https://i.imgur.com/yddQn25.gif

I'm so broke the children of Ethiopia made a donation.

guess i could sell my apartment...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/86/ea/bb/86eabb3bf4a7fa79bb500ecce5b7bdef.jpg