PDA

View Full Version : O.T dead monitor

cresshead
12-27-2003, 05:19 PM
well had a nice late xmas present today..my sony monitor died!...DOH!
just when i really don't need any expenses and i want to get some work done
the thing goes belly up on me!

i've tried the fuse in the plug..a different lead and then took the cover
off the monitor and changed the fuse in the monitor as well...still dead so
i'll chuck it this week...drat & blast! [english language we use in times of stress!]

so...my dell PC with 2 graphics cards now can only use one monitor [that's good
in it?]....and that's the apple 20"
that a friend gave me...oh well! [which while being "big" is also slightly
"red" as well!!!]

i'm going to move over my lightwave scenes n objects to my sgi320
" before anything else folds on me...
still, the sony had done quite a bit of work in the last 3 years so i cant
complain too much eh?...

bah humbug n all that sort of rot.

stee+cats [minus sony monitor]

TSpyrison
12-27-2003, 05:30 PM
That just means that its time for a bigger/better monitor!
:D

cresshead
12-27-2003, 05:44 PM
well i was about to buy some training media on lightwave.

i cannot complain too much as i don't just have "one pc"

actually i have 5 pc's that still work!

some are VERY old...see below!

1.p120mhz 48mb ram [no monitor]

2.p200mmx 96mb ram [no monitor]

3.sony celeron 600mhz laptop 256 mb ram

4.dell 700mhz PIII with 768ram and 2 geforce cards..but only one monitor!

5.SGI 320 graphic workstation with a dell 19" monitor

my main pc is the dell 700 as this has a dual boot [win98 & win 2000 plus a net connection]

i may just hang on with one monitor and think about getting pc number 6.....

i might even be a mac.....or a very cheap dell pc with monitor of course!

Beamtracer
12-27-2003, 05:51 PM
The Apple monitor that is still working must be quite old. These days Apple only releases flat LCD screens.

New Sony CRTs come with a 3 year warranty.

riki
12-27-2003, 06:15 PM
My 21 inch flat screen sony triniton in an Apple case died as well after about 3 years of use. I bought in new from Apple for about AUS$3000. I sent it back to Apple to get fixed and it took them about a month to fix it. It cost me about AUS$750. But I don't think it's as good as it use to be.

riki
12-27-2003, 06:16 PM
Check eBay you might find some good deals.

cresshead
12-27-2003, 06:17 PM
not sure how old the apple monitor is...it's a 20" with a apple connector that another friend gave me an adaptor so i can use it on a pc....the apple logo on the front is a small embossed multi colored apple....

on the back it says its an "apple multiscan 20 display"

the sony's is just over 3 yrs old so it's out of warranty..hey do sony put a small clock in there so after 3 years it fails to work!!!

looks like apple make monitors that last...even if they are a bit "red" in the display after several years....

ah well i've had enough fixing problems tonight...off to watch a dvd of some sorts!

cheers

stee+cats

Aegis
12-27-2003, 06:25 PM
Man, Nokia monitors were the best! I've still got a 19" Nokia that's about 8 years old and it works great - excellent picture 'n all - the damn thing is huge though...

Hervé
12-28-2003, 07:20 AM
la cie monitors arent that bad either....

Amen for your Sony...

meshmaster
12-29-2003, 08:29 AM
get em at staples... other places may have em, but that's where I get mine... that way you can hook all the pcs up at the same time, and just swap the monitor extension cords, thereby not putting wear and tear on your main computer connector plugs... and this way you can get all the ends of the extension cords in one central area, so it's a simple task to swap one computer to this monitor and that one to this one, etc... I have a setup right now where I have 3 monitors and 3 computers. 1 of the computers is my main workstaion, one acts as a sort of router to the cable modem, one is an old pc that my girlfriend gave me when she got a new one a few months back... I converted it into a storage warehouse by dropping a 160 gig harddrive in it... I usually keep a dual monitor setup on the main workstation, and the third monitor is on the router type computer so I can check email there... However, I swap monitor cords a lot now and then to do certain tasks on the storage warehouse, like making sure that the screamernet node over there is acting ok, keeping windows update updated, etc... it's nice to have all these computers and monitors that have monitor extension cords on em, all bundled together and labled, sitting right there about 3 feet up in the corner between my two desks in the corner of the room, so I just reach over, and swap the cords instead of having to track the monitor cords all over the place and get on my knees under the desk to swap cords, etc...

T-Light
12-29-2003, 09:01 AM
Yup.

I think you're right on the Sony break down clock. I bought a Sony 8mm editing deck back in the late eighties, Went all out and paid the extra for a five year warranty.

It died 5 years and one month later :rolleyes:

more than coincidence?

sketchyjay
12-29-2003, 09:33 AM
LOL, same happened in my studio. We purchased like 5 sony 21" monitors and to the week they all died 3 years later... at the same time. They are all blurry, or red or have some other issue that renders them useless.

I've also discovered that all those flat panel monitors also have a short lifespan. like laptop screens the color will begin to fade... Kind of a downer. Anyone know how long these flat panels are supposed to last?

jay

Lamont
12-30-2003, 07:17 AM
Don't open the monitor dude, it can kill you. Even if it's unplugged.

T-Light
12-30-2003, 09:53 AM
Hello Sketchjay.

Flat panels fade?

As in TFT flat panels? B*mmer :confused:

There was a flat panel screen out before TFT's that looked a bit weird, sort of like looking at a luminous silk screen, never bought one, looked liked they wouldn't last the trip out of the shop.

I've also heard that plasma screens have a limited life span and TFT's were taking over.

All I can say is I have an old 15" TFT on a 5 1/2 yr old laptop and that one's still going strong, I've also got a 17" TFT monitor attached to my main machine, that's nearly 2 yrs old and again, it still looks brand new.

Here's hoping it's just a bit of disinformation put about by unscrupulous CRT reps :)

sketchyjay
12-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Yeah avoid opening a case. And for god sakes don't ground yourself you'll just make yourself more likely to get killed by it. You need to be insulated to go into a monitor or a power supply in a computer. both hold a massive charge and you should just avoid it all together.

T-Light; well that is what I read in wired earlier this year so I may be fuzzy on if it is plasma, TFT or some other version. Basicly they don't die they just fade. I have a 4 year old pismo powerbook and the screen has noticeably faded and requires me to work in darker and darker environments as time goes on. I have a old 486 laptop with windows 3.1 that is really faded... must be, what, a million years old... so I don't think they die the way CRTs do, just a drop in image quality.

Well if your TFT is going strong I may look into that. The rumor was enough to stop me from picking up any flat panels until someone confirmed or denied the rumor which you have.

Thanks,

Jay

T-Light
12-30-2003, 11:49 AM
Hello again,

Well the screen on the laptop wasn't too bright originally, It was always an indoors machine, tried using it in the front of a truck once and it was useless, couldn't see a thing. As far as I remember, the screens just weren't very bright back then, maybe down to the huge power consumption on the 30 kilo battery packs :p

I bought a new one recently and that one is a lot better. Mind you, they advertise these things on beaches these days. :cool:

So, there we go, I can't really say hand on heart if the old one's dimmed or not, It really seems the same as it did in its youth, but as I've nothing to compare it too, I'm in the dark (If you'll pardon the pun).

I'm in half a mind to ring AJP and ask.

The truth will out :)

riki
12-30-2003, 01:30 PM
sorry what's TFT??

cresshead
12-30-2003, 03:07 PM
TFT is thin film transistor as in the screen on a laptop

robinson
12-30-2003, 03:18 PM
I got a IBM TFT (T860, 18.1”) and a Iiyama (19,1”) monitor, the Iiyama monitor is four years old and from time to time I got problems with this monitor, I really hope it will finally die, I want another IBM TFT (http://www-6.ibm.com/jp/pc/option/obi/images/9494hb0.gif) .

You should really check out ebay, you can get pretty cheap eizo 21” flat screen monitors on ebay.de (germany).

Good luck.