PDA

View Full Version : screamernet

theturtle32
03-07-2003, 06:10 PM
Hi. I regularly use Lightwave 3d 7.5 on my PC, but I have access to eight Dual Processor Power Mac G4 computers running OS X that I could use as a render farm. I want to continue to use my PC for design, but would like to render out to the MAC computers. Do any of you know of a way that I can do this? It is not practical for me to design on the macs, because they're in a different physical location from where I do my work (but still connected to the same network).

Thank you for your help.

Brian

Ade
03-09-2003, 04:13 AM
hope this helps (http://www.exch.demon.co.uk/)

theturtle32
03-09-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Epita in LW - PC
I guess installing lw on them so that you can run screamer net would be a start dont know about cross system rendering, should work if screamer net works!

Well, that's well and good except that I don't have the mac version of lightwave, and I don't particularly want to buy it just to get the LWSN client. I am a student and don't really have any money, and am looking for an alternate way of obtaining the screamernet client part of the Mac OS X distribution of lightwave.

Any ideas?

Brian

theturtle32
03-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Ade
hope this helps (http://www.exch.demon.co.uk/)

This was informationally useful. Thanks.

Brian

mlinde
03-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Most versions of LW 7.5 shipped as dual-platform, with both Mac and Win CDs. If you didn't get one, call NT about getting the other platform CD. At most you should have to pay shipping or like $20 for the CD print, if you are a registered owner of 7.5

Once you install LW on the Macs, you will need the duo-dongle (USB) and have to open the scenes at least once on the Mac to re-set some settings and outputs, since all of LW is not cross-platform aware. Other than Objects & Images, any external files (particles, output) need to be reset on the Mac, because the code has not been updated to support cross-platform files.

theturtle32
03-10-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by mlinde
Most versions of LW 7.5 shipped as dual-platform, with both Mac and Win CDs. If you didn't get one, call NT about getting the other platform CD. At most you should have to pay shipping or like $20 for the CD print, if you are a registered owner of 7.5
--snip--

Unfortunately, I do not have the 7.5 disc. I have 7.0 upgraded to 7.5. It's a PC only disc. Any ideas? Would Newtek perhaps send me a copy of the Mac lightwave anyway?

Brian

mlinde
03-10-2003, 11:00 AM
If you purchased an upgrade to 7.5, you should be able to get the duo-disc for no more than $20 S/H, I expect. Others have requested the CD from NewTek, and not paid for a second full licence. You will (obviously) not get a second dongle though.

jdavidbakr
03-11-2003, 01:23 PM
If you use my ScreamerNet Controller (http://www.catalystproductions.cc/screamernet) you will have less setup to mess with on the Mac side, as it will give you an opportunity to reset the output files. The only reason you would need to open it and save it in the Mac would be if there is any plugin settings that the scene stores in the native drive path format instead of relative to the content directory, in which case you would need to open it in the Mac to re-orient the files. (Both the Mac and PC versions identify the path relative to the content directory as /Objects/List/Object.obj.) Most information in the scene file (except the save scene info) is relative to the content directory and is common across the two platforms. If you open your scene in a text editor you can look for a line beginning with C:\YADAYADA\ and those are the lines that will need to be adjusted. If the only instance of that is in the SaveRGB secion, then you will not have to worry about "converting" it on the Mac. Or, if you are brave, you can manually "convert" it without having to have a dongle code on the Mac.