PDA

View Full Version : Network Rendering Controllers and OSX

Soundguy
12-27-2003, 03:40 PM
So I get my Screamer net system set up and running with 5 PowerMacs...I load in my scene and hit Screamer Render...but my first node just sits there saying "Loading scene" and nothing happens! I had it working just fine with a simple scene...not sure what the deal was. Anyways - I downloaded the ScreamerNet Controller from catalystproductions and it worked perfectly!

So my question's are: Anybody have an idea what happened with Lightwaves built in controller? I was trying to render a 3D school that I built - it's pretty complex but I figured it should have worked fine.

And...

Is the ScreamerNet Controller from Catalystproductions a good choice to go with? are there any other OSX controllers out there?

Thanks

Steve

tim.bowman
01-07-2004, 05:37 PM
I picked up ScreamerNet Controller last week after I realized I couldn't keep working in Layout while I had a network render going.

It works pretty well. Which is not to say it's perfect. I've been having a problem with nodes repeatedly re-initializing in the middle of a frame, reloading the frame, and finally just sitting there while the controller tells me they're initializing.

But, for the most part, I'm very pleased with it. For me, just being able to dump a scene in the queue and then keep working in Layout is worth the price of admission.

pixelinfected
01-08-2004, 07:21 PM
we have a mixed studio, with pc and mac, and after many different test, we have ScreamerNet Controller for only mac work, and for mixed work Butterfly net render, which work with windows, and have node for win, mac os x and linux, and all work very fine.
i hope that help you.

p.s. if you want to use inner controller, you can verify all setup, path, and under os x, every folders that you want to use, must have permission of read and write, or not all work.
check all.

jdavidbakr
01-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Soundguy,

ScreamerNet Controller will strip some things from the scene that will cause LWSN to crash (that are interface plugins like the Spreadsheet plugin).

ScreamerNet Controller will also control PC nodes, but there is not a PC version of the controller...

Soundguy
01-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Thanks for your reply's.

I went a head and bought a 5 node license for ScreamerNet Controller...but I'm still having a few difficulties that maybe we could help me with Jon?

Shall I email you my questions?

Thanks

Steve

jdavidbakr
01-13-2004, 07:18 AM
Sure, you can e-mail me directly and I'll help you in whatever way that I can. Look in the docs for my address.

erk
02-15-2004, 01:57 AM
I have a non-windows setup with a MacOS machine as the main workstation and a bunch of Linux boxen for rendering, I am looking for something like Screamernet to control Linux clients. Any ideas?

pixelinfected
02-15-2004, 03:01 AM
linux screamernet born from many request to newtek, me from first, but i never seen a compatibility list with third part plugin, we use a lot of plugin, and i don't know if they are compatible with linux controller, i hope to have a bit of time to test all plugin and post a compatibility list.
if you have news about it, tell me about.