PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Workflow

Lee-AVP
04-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Does anyone have a suggestion for a quick workflow to get photopshop-produced graphics in to either a GFX bin or a buffer?

BMD has a nice little plugin for that; I was hoping maybe the NDI/CC plugin did something similar but it looks like that's just for Premiere and After Effects.

We have a third-party graphics crew on an upcoming job and they work in Photoshop. I'm sure I could make them a save-as macro that drops it in to a network folder; how do I get it it in to my live environment from there?

SBowie
04-23-2018, 09:39 AM
Little known fact: one of the lesser Premium Access features is direct PSD import into Buffers, complete with per-layer visibility controls, layer presets, data presets, and editable text. (You can import a PSD into a Media Player too, but it will just be treated as a flat bitmap).

Lee-AVP
04-23-2018, 09:45 AM
Yeah, that and the animation tools look cool. If we hold on to this contract with these guys that will justify the subscription right there, but until that's a sure thing - and until PA is actually released - I could use a temporary solution. :)

SBowie
04-23-2018, 09:50 AM
Yeah, that and the animation tools look cool. If we hold on to this contract with these guys that will justify the subscription right there, but until that's a sure thing - and until PA is actually released - I could use a temporary solution. :)Yes, LiveGraphics also supports using PSDs to quickly generate animated title pages - but I think the ability to directly import PSDs into Buffers got lost in the LiveGraphics fanfare.

Again, you can import a PSD into a DDR or GFX player already, but only as a flat bitmap. And I'd suggest making sure its not at some insane print res, too.

Lee-AVP
04-23-2018, 09:55 AM
In this case, we're talking about a graphics op updating a stat, and wanting it up on the screen in seconds. Internally, we'd use livetext or tie it to data fields, but these guys aren't interested in changing their worfklow. Importing is somewhat click heavy, by the time I click to the right area and select the file and click OK twice. I seem to recall some discussion about this a while back - either saving directly to the buffer folder or someone had scripted something - but I'm coming up blank in the forums.

JPulera
04-23-2018, 10:01 AM
Enable file sharing on TriCaster. There is a specific folder on hard drive for EACH buffer that contains the associated image. If you open that image in PS on another machine and make changes, then SAVE in PS, it will immediately update on the TriCaster display!

That's the very simplest way I know of.

Thanks

Jeff

Stream
04-23-2018, 11:04 AM
Thanks Jeff!
That's cool!

kanep
04-23-2018, 11:40 AM
Enable file sharing on TriCaster. There is a specific folder on hard drive for EACH buffer that contains the associated image. If you open that image in PS on another machine and make changes, then SAVE in PS, it will immediately update on the TriCaster display!

That's the very simplest way I know of.

Thanks

Jeff

This feature goes back to TC455/855 system as I'm aware.

JPulera
04-23-2018, 12:12 PM
That reminds me, this not only applies to Buffers folders, but ANY still image on the hard drive. If that image is current being displayed on TriCaster output (GFX player, DSK, etc.) and you update the original image on the drive (via PS > SAVE) then the displayed image in TriCaster updates. You MAY see a brief flash of the image as it updates if displayed LIVE at the time. I've never used this in an actual production, just something I'd tried a few years back when I became aware of the method. It works.

Thanks

Jeff

choffman
05-25-2018, 03:39 PM
Little known fact: one of the lesser Premium Access features is direct PSD import into Buffers, complete with per-layer visibility controls, layer presets, data presets, and editable text. (You can import a PSD into a Media Player too, but it will just be treated as a flat bitmap).

I have been meaning to try this when this was posted. I was able to edit the file from Photoshop while saving it to the buffer if that is what you mean. I couldn't edit it directly from the Tricaster. Also, when I put the psd file directly in the buffer folder it shows up but won't go live. I have to add it manually. Not sure if I am doing something wrong.

Regardless, I learned something useful from this post and being able to edit and save in Photoshop and have it automatically updated is awesome!

Chris

fgolman
05-25-2018, 05:38 PM
What part of the graphic are you updating?

If this is something that can be formatted in a spreadsheet you might want to use that to do the updates as that's extremely fast. Then PSD file for the nice background image (or anything else for that matter including looping animation).

Fritz Golman
Museum of Broadcast Communications

SBowie
05-25-2018, 06:41 PM
I have been meaning to try this when this was posted.Premium Access hasn't been released yet, so the full worklow I described isn't available yet.