PDA

View Full Version : All quads: reducing loops and chains of tris? / existing script?

jeric_synergy
04-20-2018, 01:49 PM
I believe someone wrote a script for this, but I was unable to locate it:

When you use MAKE POLE, you often wind up with a bunch of tris. If you're luck and there's an even number of tris, you can often reduce them to all quads by merging, but this is tedious.

IIRC, someone wrote a script that would auto-merge a loop or chain of adjacent tris, to create an all-quad mesh.

Anyone know of that? Or have an alternative? Such a script would also work for making a globe-type BALL all quads, by reducing the tris at the top/bottom.

MonroePoteet
04-20-2018, 02:47 PM
Well, there's MergeTrigonsX:

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/mergetrigonsx/

but it's not very smart and may not do a very nice job. A quicker method of merging triangles in a Pole than manually selecting pairs is to isolate the Pole polygons (select polygons, press =), then select (in order around) all the Edges in the Pole. Next, use Selection=>SelectNthPattern with values of 2 and 1 (select every other Edge), then delete those edges.

141370 141365 141366
141367 141368 141369

mTp

jeric_synergy
04-20-2018, 04:03 PM
LOL, that's great: for some reason I'da never expect that to work, since the ...well, I don't know, and obviously I'm wrong. (Something about shared edges.-- I assume you meant "Pole polygons" above.)

Yoo da man.

W/such a simple procedure, I think even I might be able to script that up.

MonroePoteet
04-20-2018, 04:38 PM
Yup, I changed it later to read "Pole polygons" rather than "Poly polygons". Duh! Sadly, I don't think Selection=>Select Nth Pattern has a scriptable interface.

mTp

jeric_synergy
04-21-2018, 02:07 AM
Hmmm. Of course, at scripting level, selecting/deselecting is part of the exercise, so that wouldn't be much of a trick (I think). It's only humans that need that tedious job automated.