PDA

View Full Version : Bullet - Marble Run

shaffer
04-19-2018, 04:49 PM
I was going to create a marble run in LW; but am having trouble with objects going through surfaces. Any tips?

I tried modifying some settings to keep from the marbles from falling through the surface; but then the marbles won't behave properly.

[see attached]

squarewulf
04-19-2018, 05:07 PM
I don't have LW 2018 so i can't open your file but try increasing your dynamics framerate.

MonroePoteet
04-19-2018, 06:36 PM
Trying to load your un-Zipped attachment gives the error:

mTp

shaffer
04-19-2018, 07:41 PM
Trying to load your un-Zipped attachment gives the error:

mTp

Sorry.. I lost my marbles.

[see attachment]

I tried increasing the frame rate (from 30 to 120). There was a little difference. Less marbles fell through. However, the calculation took way longer. As I add more obstacles, this calc could take several hours. I'm just trying to get the project started and it is already slow.

Anyway, thanks for the advice! Maybe, I'll table this for a while.

MonroePoteet
04-19-2018, 08:35 PM
Good idea increasing the Simulation Frame Rate. With the (very) small size of the Marble's individual geometry and the sparcity of the Collision object, I think a minimum Dynamics frame rate of 600fps may be required. Wait out the calculation time, and see the results!

Otherwise, you might try subdividing the Collision object (faceted mode to retain sharp contours as much as possible) and increase the potential of the collision detection algorithms detecting a hit.

Best of luck!
mTp

shaffer
04-19-2018, 08:51 PM
Good idea increasing the Simulation Frame Rate. With the (very) size of the Marbles and the sparcity of the Collision object, I think a minum Dynamics frame rate of 600fps may be required. Wait out the calculation time, and see the results!

Otherwise, you might try subdividing the Collision object (faceted mode to retain sharp contours as much as possible) and increase the potiantial of the collision detection algorithms detecting a hit.

Best of luck!
mTp

At 240, the results are really good. No marbles get through the geometry; and the action looks really good. It takes a while though. I think I'll use 300 for a little head room.

btw.. Do you ever go out Rampart Range, (Devil's Head, Dakan, Herman, Manitou), etc..? I love off-roading in that area. I usually take the roads through to Woodland Park, etc and come out in the CoSp area. There are so many wonderful areas in those mountains. I could spend months in there and still not feel like I've explored enough of it.

MonroePoteet
04-20-2018, 07:37 AM
Glad the 240 fps works! I've found that even if a few objects get through, they aren't missed in the "crush", but it's nice when it works.

RE: outdoors, I've hiked up by the Air Force Academy a number of times in the past (Blodgett Peak trail, Stanley Canyon trail, Falcon trail, trail 713), but not recently - any more it seems way crowded. I tend to head south from the Springs down toward the Wet Mountains and Wet Mountain valley (Westcliffe, Hardscrabble pass) rather than north towards the Denver area.

mTp

dlvphoto
04-28-2018, 08:57 AM
In the Bullet panel:

Set the marbles object shape to Sphere and collision margin to 1mm and leave major axis at Y
Set the Marble-run2 object shape alone and set it's collision margin to 1mm

This lets you get away with a dynamics frame rate of 240 without any fall through and the the change from 'Mesh' to 'Sphere' speeds up the calculation time to the point that it plays in real time on my Core I7-6700. No calc time needed.