PDA

View Full Version : Small puzzle: subpatched "acorn" nut ? / Modeling exercise



jeric_synergy
04-19-2018, 01:25 PM
Just for grins, mostly, I spent too long trying to make a righteous (ie, all quad) subpatched "acorn" nut*:

https://www.grainger.com/product/6XEP4?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916713277!!!g!109231852197!&ef_id=WW4otAAAAIGj2XPP:20180419191414:s

While I created an adequate one (especially since it's not really that featured in the planned render), I'm not pleased w/my efforts (Surfaces not worked on at all):

141326

+
141327

Because I wanted to chamfer the hex corners of the nut, so they wouldn't appear unnaturally sharp, this rather hosed me on the side divisions of the nut, versus the regular division of the semi-sphere on top. As I type this I realize that adding an additional, redundant division in the flat sides of the nut might have eased this puzzle, that is, the transition between the spherical bit and the flat, nut part.

Anyway, just wanted to discuss the issues with making even a simple object all quads. I suspect I'm missing some obvious approach here.


.
(And wow the 2018 Surface panel is intimidating!!! :eek: )

*AKA "cap nuts".

Ztreem
04-19-2018, 02:48 PM
Here's my 10 min contribution. I shouldn't be doing this now, I have an animation to deliver by tomorrow morning...:)
141328

141329

jeric_synergy
04-19-2018, 03:29 PM
:D Happy to help a fellow procrastinator!!! ;)

MonroePoteet
04-19-2018, 03:51 PM
That was an interesting exercise, since it allowed me to apply the first sections of William Vaughan's workbook - getting rid of triangles.

141335 141336

141337

This capnut was built with a 6-sided disc, use Rounder to round the corners and top, which produces triangles on the top and bottom of the disc on the corners. I used Knife to slice "control loops" into the sides of the disc. The triangles at the top and bottom on each corner were eliminated by selecting two of the corner quads, right-arrow to extend the selection, and Connect. Connect divides the quads in two, adding a fourth point to the top and bottom triangles, producing quads. YAY!

To complete the model, the top center hexagon was shaped to the "cap" with extend, move and stretch (yes, I'd make it bigger next time to match the reference). The final hexagon on top used Make Pole to create six triangles, which are then selected in pairs and Merge Polygons is used to convert adjacent triangles into quads.

The bottom hexagon had extend, move and stretch applied to build the "cup", again with the final hexagon having Make Pole and three Merge Polygons applied.

The threads are separate geometry made using Box to make a 100-segment 2-point poly chain in Y, Twist (to form the spiral), Extrude in Y to make the lands (flipping polys to make them face inward), Connect to make the center seam, Stretch to bring the center edge created by Connect inward, and then the ends of the threads were tightened up to make the start / finish sections.

The Surface is the Preset shelf=>Metal=>Pewter preset.

Nice challenge!

mTp