PDA

View Full Version : Surface Editor 'Filter By' question

Greenlaw
04-19-2018, 12:52 PM
...is there a way to have it filter by multiple names?

For example, let's say I have a library scene with lots of books, shelves, etc, and I want to filter to show only Cover and Page surfaces. I thought maybe entering 'Book Cover, Page' or 'Book Cover & Page' would do it but that prevents all surfaces from showing up, including those with 'Book Cover' and 'Page' in their names.

There are many surfaces in the scene but I only want to work with these two surfaces and I don't need to see all the other surfaces. I'm guessing I'm not using the correct syntax? Or is this not possible?

I'm in 2015.3, btw.

Thanks in advance for any info.

MonroePoteet
04-19-2018, 04:05 PM
I don't think there's any advanced search capability at all. The LW2015 document indicates: "Filter by works in conjunction with the Pattern input field, which is a simple include filter. Any item that includes any of the text you enter will appear in the list window."

My experimenting suggests the wording is wrong, and that it should read "Any item that includes ALL of the text you enter will appear in the list window."

It goes on: "You donít need to specify wildcards, just the text you want to include; when you leave the input field blank, you include all
surfaces in the Filter by category." Which should probably read "Wildcards are not allowed, just the text you want to include;..."

mTp

Greenlaw
04-19-2018, 04:16 PM
Ok, thanks for checking.

I was hoping there was a trick to this I didn't know about. Oh, well. :)

MonroePoteet
04-19-2018, 05:24 PM
Well, if there's a super-secret syntax, I don't know it either and I couldn't figure it out. IMO it's too bad they don't support at least basic wildcard (asterisk to skip before or after a given string or between a pair of given strings), or basic C-syntax sscanf format specifiers, and a comma-separated list of alternatives as in your example.

I would think the C-syntax sscanf format specifiers should be easy to implement, since they just need to document it well (copy-n-paste the section from the runtime library manual), count the percent signs in the user-provided string (i.e. fields expected to be parsed), pass the string the user provides to the sscanf() function as the format specification (I'm 99% sure most of LW is written in C), and if the return value of the sscanf (fields parsed) matches the number of percent signs, it matches and should be included in the list.

Since the input fields have a nice Equation syntax built in (pretty much everywhere as far as I can tell), it'd be nice if these type of Search boxes had a little sophistication as well.

mTp