PDA

View Full Version : Interpolation thoughts

Mats Andersen
04-18-2018, 03:12 AM
Hi

After using lightwave for quite some years I have relied on the interpolated GI method for all my work. I cant even remember when I had to use brute force.

After upgrading I have found myself ONLY using brute force. It could be that brute force is quicker - but mostly I think, its because the interpolation has changed quite a bit for the worse.
I need very high sampling in order to get a smooth result, so high that its much slower than brute force, especially for scenes that has few lightsources of course.

It seemes that previously it was more clever in terms of blending the few rays it has, whereas now it cant really blend the sampled areas very well together. Even at interpolation softness set to a maximum at 100% still is no good.

ANy thoughts or suggestions about this matter? I might have totally failed in understanding how this has changed.

best
Mats

prometheus
04-19-2018, 12:31 PM
Hi

After using lightwave for quite some years I have relied on the interpolated GI method for all my work. I cant even remember when I had to use brute force.

After upgrading I have found myself ONLY using brute force. It could be that brute force is quicker - but mostly I think, its because the interpolation has changed quite a bit for the worse.
I need very high sampling in order to get a smooth result, so high that its much slower than brute force, especially for scenes that has few lightsources of course.

It seemes that previously it was more clever in terms of blending the few rays it has, whereas now it cant really blend the sampled areas very well together. Even at interpolation softness set to a maximum at 100% still is no good.

ANy thoughts or suggestions about this matter? I might have totally failed in understanding how this has changed.

best
Mats

Interpolation in 2015...FAST,
I can not use radiosity interpolation it in 2018, whatever setting I try to reduce, it is much much slower than interpolation in 2015..so for stills, not good.
Brute force in 2018 however is much faster than the brute force in 2015, but still not as fast as interpolated in 2015.
Not sure if it is a bug somewhere, I recall I could get the interpolation to be quite fast in 2018.1 after setting rays to a specific number, but with 20180.2 it doesn´t matter and it is Too slow, not sure about the 2018.03 version though.

Tim Parsons
04-19-2018, 06:42 PM
I'm a big fan of Interpolation in 2018! I'm planning to do more tests, but initial times and quality are far superior to Brute Force. Look through this thread to see some of my testing. Render times went from over 8hrs to under 30min! http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?156513-My-first-real-work-in-LW2018

Mats Andersen
04-20-2018, 03:55 AM
I'm a big fan of Interpolation in 2018! I'm planning to do more tests, but initial times and quality are far superior to Brute Force. Look through this thread to see some of my testing. Render times went from over 8hrs to under 30min! http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?156513-My-first-real-work-in-LW2018

thanks will check it out and see

Mats