PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Sublimation - Lightwave anime studio

samurai_x
04-17-2018, 11:48 PM
Sublimation and Yamato are one of the last lightwave studios around.
I really hope the modelling side of Lightwave improves in the next version.

Part 1
https://cgworld.jp/interview/201804-modo.html

Part 2
https://cgworld.jp/interview/201804-modo2.html

https://cgworld.jp/interview/images/201804_modo/modo_f1.jpg

Gungho3D
04-18-2018, 10:17 PM
This might help

Part #1: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fcgworld.jp%2Finterview%2F201804-modo.html
Part #2: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fcgworld.jp%2Finterview%2F201804-modo2.html

samurai_x
04-19-2018, 10:50 AM
Thanks.
Summary, both Sublimation and Yamato studios that use lightwave are now in "research" mode. They seem to be going towards modo which is still very rarely used in the anime industy and probably ill-advised path for them.

Chernoby
04-19-2018, 10:57 AM
I agree when they say Layout is great at handling very large scenes. I am frankly spoiled when it comes to this. If I render a scene with hundreds of millions of polygons in Layout, LW is completely stable and fairly responsive. Maya and Blender is way less forgiving with larger scenes in my experience. It is a major reason why I still use LW.

Julez4001
04-20-2018, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the post!!!

rustythe1
04-21-2018, 03:23 AM
probably correct as modo isn't doing that well, and will probably change hands at some point in the not too distant,
and obviously that's from an investors point of view so it will be sugar coated (the same page also mentions "would make a great investment" implying they are open to sell it, but then that's how it works, investment groups buy these companies, try to build them up and then sell them, so it could go either way, or even just lose modo and concentrate on nuke, just look at how many people left nuke)

stiff paper
04-21-2018, 04:51 AM
just look at how many people left nuke)
What d'you mean? Has Nuke lost a lot of users? More info please?

Also, if PSoft ports Pencil+ to modo then modo will immediately look a lot more enticing for anime. Pencil+ is very expensive for what it does, but modo & Pencil+ would still be a very much cheaper option than 3dsMax & Pencil+, especially long term across multiple seats.

Of course, dealing with, say, six characters all at once in modo is like sucking lemons whilst being stabbed, but it does do many things LW can't and, again, it's cheap.

All these studios have to be looking at Maneki right now and wondering how they can achieve that without paying Maya & Maneki & Nuke money.

rustythe1
04-21-2018, 10:43 AM
no nuke is fine for what they are saying (it should be as its more or less the standard now), the other parts of the foundry are not, specifically modo was not performing to their expectations,

rustythe1
04-21-2018, 11:00 AM
What d'you mean? Has Nuke lost a lot of users? More info please?

Also, if PSoft ports Pencil+ to modo then modo will immediately look a lot more enticing for anime. Pencil+ is very expensive for what it does, but modo & Pencil+ would still be a very much cheaper option than 3dsMax & Pencil+, especially long term across multiple seats.

Of course, dealing with, say, six characters all at once in modo is like sucking lemons whilst being stabbed, but it does do many things LW can't and, again, it's cheap.

All these studios have to be looking at Maneki right now and wondering how they can achieve that without paying Maya & Maneki & Nuke money.

sorry i just realised, seems some thing went wrong with that post as it was supposed to say modo, and i clearly remember typing modo as it was referring to several developers leaving

samurai_x
04-22-2018, 01:21 AM
probably correct as modo isn't doing that well, and will probably change hands at some point in the not too distant,

Lightwave and modo are both not doing well in this segment, which is bigger than japan's automotive industry.;) C4d has overtaken both which was never used much 3-5 years ago.

But when you see articles like, the last few lightwave studios thinking of switching to modo, its a wake up call for NT to start developing lightwave's other toolset.

Gungho3D
04-22-2018, 04:53 AM
... both Sublimation and Yamato studios that use lightwave are now in "research" mode. They seem to be going towards modo ...
I know the feeling. Based on the extended silence from NT, I was doing "research" well over 18 months ago. Almost went C4D, went Modo "the lot" instead, was impressed by its procedural modeling in v10. Probably a few $K I can kiss goodbye :-(

If I read between the lines in the two part interview correctly, there is no missing the fact these guys love LW Layout, but seem to wanting to future proof.

robertoortiz
04-22-2018, 05:46 AM
If I read between the lines in the two part interview correctly, there is no missing the fact these guys love LW Layout, but seem to wanting to future proof.

Same here. Our studio is pushing hard for me to pull the trigger. Corporate silence is a GOD AWFUL strategy for your customers. The opposite of what you should be doing.

stiff paper
04-23-2018, 11:03 AM
C4d has overtaken both which was never used much 3-5 years ago.
This amazes me. Slightly.

C4D doesn't have anything specific that would recommend it above anything else for making anime (at least not that I know of?) but it's reliable, it's easy to learn and it all works like it should. It really looks like Japanese anime creators are doing everything they can to avoid buying into the Autodesk treadmill. Can't say I blame them.

I assume almost everything is comped in AE?

samurai_x
04-23-2018, 11:43 AM
This amazes me. Slightly.

C4D doesn't have anything specific that would recommend it above anything else for making anime (at least not that I know of?) but it's reliable, it's easy to learn and it all works like it should. It really looks like Japanese anime creators are doing everything they can to avoid buying into the Autodesk treadmill. Can't say I blame them.

I assume almost everything is comped in AE?

C4d plays best with AE. And nearly every studio uses AE for comp so its gaining some traction in the last 3 years. Only big studios doing films and AAA games use Nuke.
Unfortunately, AD is 90% in the cg studios. The 10% for other 3d software. Very rare to see lightwave, modo. Houdini for bigger studios but most can just hack it with 3dmax and tons of plugins. Blender has zero appeal. I'm the only one I know using it.

robertoortiz
04-23-2018, 11:55 AM
C4d plays best with AE. And nearly every studio uses AE for comp so its gaining some traction in the last 3 years. Only big studios doing films and AAA games use Nuke.
Unfortunately, AD is 90% in the cg studios. The 10% for other 3d software. Very rare to see lightwave, modo. Houdini for bigger studios but most can just hack it with 3dmax and tons of plugins. Blender has zero appeal. I'm the only one I know using it.
Amen... Great post.
Here in the DC area ALL STUDIOS, and I mean ALL no matter the size use ADOBE toolsets. With Photoshop, Illustrators and AE being the 3 kings.

jeric_synergy
04-23-2018, 12:00 PM
With Photoshop, Illustrators and AE being the 3 kings.
And with good reason.

jeric_synergy
04-23-2018, 12:02 PM
C4D doesn't have anything specific that would recommend it above anything else for making anime (at least not that I know of?) but it's reliable, it's easy to learn and it all works like it should.
Dude, you contradict yourself right there in one sentence.

It's reliable, consistent, and works. That's THREE things that would recommend it.

I could contrast it w/LW to stay on topic, but what's the point?

Marander
04-23-2018, 02:07 PM

Right, but to complete your statement beside the Cineware / AE integration, C4D also offers to save a Compositing Project File directly in the Render settings for After Effects, Nuke, Motion and Digital Fusion (as well as Shake and Final Cut on the Mac, as well as Adobe AI vector import support, AI rendering plugin etc.) - just one example of the countless small details LW is missing.

The fact that LW is supported with other applications is mostly due to the work of these applications to include LWO / LWS support (natively in C4D, modo, 3D-Coat, Terragen, Vue etc.), but LW itself dosen't support the others. Considering LWs 3D market importance these days, I wonder if these applications will ever add support the new LWO format in the future - right now they don't (I don't know about modo).

And about Anime features, I don't even want to start ranting about LWs Graph Editor, Animation features or Character workflow.

stiff paper
04-23-2018, 02:31 PM
Dude, you contradict yourself right there in one sentence.
I was not comparing it to LW. LW was not even lurking on the periphery of that bit of discussion. (Do you honestly think I consider LW to be a strong competitor for C4D in 2018? I don't even use LW any more. That's how strong a competitor I think it is.)

Nothing really comes close to Maya for character rigging and animating workflows. So that's an instant selling point for Maya. Also, if you wanted to pay for Maneki, there's that too.

3ds Max with Pencil+ would definitely be workable. Maybe not really better at anything than C4D is for what they need, but it has the same pluses: a known quantity, reliable. (it does also have workflows that not even a mother could love... so there's that...)

Modo... would be cheap. Definitely problematic when it came to animating with multiple characters (and other stuff too), but cheap.

C4D? It's just not obvious. It definitely isn't amazing when it comes to rigging. It's only okay for animation. It definitely isn't cheap. In this context, the most notable thing about C4D is that it isn't Autodesk.

But anyway.

Maneki: https://vimeo.com/221387651

jeric_synergy
04-23-2018, 10:33 PM
Ah, well then! ;)

samurai_x
04-23-2018, 10:37 PM
And about Anime features, I don't even want to start ranting about LWs Graph Editor, Animation features or Character workflow.

From the article they said that layout is actually pretty good. Its the other parts of lightwave that are lacking.
Definitely this is because lightwave is still not a unified app. Which I think studios are realizing its never going to happen.
Newtek will continue to add destructive tools in modeler and not move modelling tools to layout.

Modo has been slowly adding more and more tools to facilitate animation and fx. If they can optimize the performance for deformation and playblast previews, I think the remaining lightwave studios will switch.