PDA

View Full Version : New Augmented Reality stuff I made with LightWave

ConjureBunny
04-17-2018, 03:09 PM
Hi,

Don't mind me, I'm just showing off now :D
This is the kind of stuff you can do with AR Portfolio and LightWave...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzLYcxLMNo4

More to come :)

-Chilton

SteveH
04-17-2018, 03:43 PM
Chilton - I can't see anything. Unless it's a black panther at night......
Maybe it's just my system.

shrox
04-17-2018, 03:48 PM
Loki...Chilton is Loki. Sorcerer...

ConjureBunny
04-17-2018, 04:25 PM
Chilton - I can't see anything. Unless it's a black panther at night......
Maybe it's just my system.

Hmm. It's just a YouTube link, it should work. Here's the link, maybe that will work better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzLYcxLMNo4&t=1s

-Chilton

SteveH
04-17-2018, 08:55 PM
The YouTube link worked for me- very cool use of AR Chilton!

pauland
04-18-2018, 02:05 AM
It looks interesting but the low-poly treatment for the pool kind of kills it a bit, as does the gaps between the rocks and the pool - nobody would want to see grass pocking through there. The tile textures were a bit odd on the sunken seat surface.

I can see how this can work well, but I think the low-poly nature of the visualisation is a problem.

My other issue is scale. It's hard to gauge pool size. There's no indication of diameter or a "standard" human (that doesn't scale) to give a size indication. Also, I suspect that while the pool model scales, in reality some of the pool features will not.

kopperdrake
04-18-2018, 02:24 AM
Paul, it's just a quick model to show the possibility. The important bit - look how the real world scale model sits in the world, at the proper scale and angle, and there's no need for a target mat to fix a position! That, and the shadow compensation, is wonderful! What Chilton doesn't show in this is that if you spin the camera around and lose sight of the model, then spin back, the model is still there! Brilliant!

pauland
04-18-2018, 02:39 AM
I understand what AR is. I agree it's neat that we can do this.

I see the "real world scale" model being re-sized in-situ so now I have no idea how big it is, I can only guess from the environment.

My point is that as an example of AR it's neat. As a sales tool for these pools, as shown, good idea but not good enough.

RPSchmidt
04-18-2018, 05:31 AM
It is an interesting concept, but when taken as an example that would be used in sales, it could use some tightening up.

The hot tub is far too small for the rocks; even when scaled, I look at it and have a hard time imagining more than a single person fitting comfortably in it.

Is there a poly limit that is restricting a more realistic representation of the hot tub? I know it's just an example, but it seems like the rocks have far more detail than the hot tub. Even just using a slightly higher poly count and a better texture on the hot tub would add to the realism and overall experience.

Also, the rocks are seriously overpowering the hot tub, i.e., their scale is far too large when you consider the size of the hot tub in the example.

Again, I understand that it's just an example of what AR Portfolio can do, but if you used a more realistic example, it would really sell the concept.

Perhaps model your hot tub after something a bit more realistic?

Just my two cents... I know it's an example of capability, but better visuals (model, scale, etc) it would really sell the concept... and maybe a hot tub ;)

ConjureBunny
04-18-2018, 06:55 PM
I spent like 3-5 minutes on the pool itself and about 20 more minutes screwing around with the scene. I honestly didn't think it would turn out as well as it did.

I get it though, a better, more polished example is in the works. This time I will spend at least 45 minutes on it, and I might include more than one type of rock.

I visited a pool builder today. Holy cow. Some people have some INSANE swimming pools.

-Chilton

Chris S. (Fez)
04-19-2018, 12:40 AM
Proof of concept. Totally fine for testing purposes.

ConjureBunny
04-19-2018, 07:22 AM
Proof of concept. Totally fine for testing purposes.

Oh totally fine for that purpose. And clearly it worked, I think everyone gets it.

BUT... I need to up my art game here. My proof of concepts should really look better. This ain't amateur hour :)

-Chilton