PDA

View Full Version : Smart IBL in 2018

Philbert
04-11-2018, 03:30 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has any luck with Smart IBL in LW 2018. When I try to run the LScript the window loads fine, I pick my settings, it asks for a save folder, then gives this error.

Line 1090, dimension value 2337 exceeds dimension size [2336] for any cachedata

I'm left with a couple of partially loaded lights and bull objects.

Ma3rk
04-11-2018, 03:48 PM
What I've been doing is actually create the sIBL set up in 2015. The resulting scene will then open fine in 2018.3.

adk
04-11-2018, 09:35 PM
What I've been doing is actually create the sIBL set up in 2015. The resulting scene will then open fine in 2018.3.

Good tip Ma3rk ... cheers for that

Ma3rk
04-11-2018, 10:49 PM
Next time I see Oliver Hotz, I'm going to suggest he take his Presets tool for HRD's to the next level & in essence do an sIBL for 2018. Christian Bloch hasn't made an update for some years so can't imagine he'd object unless all of this spurs him on to do it instead.

adk
04-12-2018, 12:50 AM
Next time I see Oliver Hotz...

... buy him a beer on me :D and I'll reimburse you somehow

Philbert
04-12-2018, 01:21 AM
Yeah I figured if nothing else I would have to do it in 2015, but it's not a permanent solution of course.

rsfd
04-12-2018, 01:55 AM
I'm doubtful that sIBL's workflow still does apply to either the new render engine and/or the newer HDR techniques like Importance Sampling aso.
My impression would be that sIBL somewhat has reached eol state anyway, unless it's going to be adopted to the developments of the last couple of years.
At least if you're looking for the most precise IBL solution…

04-12-2018, 08:41 AM
Actually, look at Oliver's tool now: I believe he states somewhere that he took the baton from sIBL and stepped it up. I remember hearing it and thinking, "Wow, cool!"

The tool I'm thinking of lets you shoot rays to a ball of which an hdri image will be made where the shots are light emission.
Robert

Ma3rk
04-12-2018, 11:40 PM
Actually, look at Oliver's tool now: I believe he states somewhere that he took the baton from sIBL and stepped it up. I remember hearing it and thinking, "Wow, cool!"

The tool I'm thinking of lets you shoot rays to a ball of which an hdri image will be made where the shots are light emission.
Robert

Not entirely. The HDR Preset in the ODTools at present only loads the image file and sets it up as a textured enviroment, creates an environment light, creates a parented null and optionally creates a ground plane. But it doesn't create the sphere's for background and reflection as sIBL does. As such, in VPR you only see a blurry image thru the camera and it renders that way too. You could always combine in post of course as you still end up with an apha of any objects in the scene, but that's obvioulsy less convenient.

Ma3rk
04-12-2018, 11:55 PM
I'm doubtful that sIBL's workflow still does apply to either the new render engine and/or the newer HDR techniques like Importance Sampling aso.
My impression would be that sIBL somewhat has reached eol state anyway, unless it's going to be adopted to the developments of the last couple of years.

I've seen that mentioned but in the past, never really got any further explanation, & frankly don't understand how that's the case. Your still using an HDR image the same way with or without the sIBL setup and pretty much, if not exactly, the same way Rebel Hill is using them in his new series & pretty much the same way HDR Light Studio works too.

Might you expand or explain? Maybe I'm missing something.

Asticles
04-13-2018, 12:52 AM

Agree

Asticles
04-13-2018, 12:56 AM
I've seen that mentioned but in the past, never really got any further explanation, & frankly don't understand how that's the case. Your still using an HDR image the same way with or without the sIBL setup and pretty much, if not exactly, the same way Rebel Hill is using them in his new series & pretty much the same way HDR Light Studio works too.

Might you expand or explain? Maybe I'm missing something.

If I'm not wrong, sibl simulates the hard lighting coming from a sun in an hdr file. Before importance sampling it was impossible to get hard shadows from an ibl image. Now you have it if you use a good enough hdri (with lots of EVs). So is it not necessary to add a sun.

Regards

rsfd
04-13-2018, 02:34 AM
I've seen that mentioned but in the past…
As Asticles already mentioned: I also think that the workflow with a low-res hdri for GI in combination with a high-res hdri for the environment reflections has no real base anymore since the introduction of (Multiple) Importance Sampling. Once it was a workflow to get cleaner renders for GI while more pronounced light sources needed to be added through the classical 3D lights (Spot, Distant, aso).
One possible disadvantage was the usually poor and imprecise quality of the GI lighting coming from the low res and blurred hdri. It is mostly comparable to a soft and colored ambient light.
Importance Sampling delivers a much more precise GI quality, in some cases even sufficient to be used as single light source. Of course this all comes with a performance hit, but if quality is the main goal, it seems the best option.
The sIBL workflow might still have its advantages in regard to performance for animations, but quality-wise, Importance Sampling adds a lot more.

One wish that I still have though for a workflow with the new rendering systems (PBR - principled bsdf) would be a Distant Light that can be altered in gradation (softness) *without* enlarging its size in specular reflections. Such a Distant Light could be perfectly used to simulate a real sun.

Ma3rk
04-13-2018, 10:58 AM
Thanks guys. Of course a lot on the current HDR's available now are in the 4K to 8K range. I pretty much add a light anyway for the shadow reasons mentioned and the sIBL script is nice for setting that up for proper angle. However with the new Enviroment light, I see what your saying. The link in the Documentation Wiki to Andrew Combs video is well worth the watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72AAwSFx4nA

(Just wish he'd clean up the annoying hum)

In any case, some experimentation is in order.