PDA

View Full Version : Layout: Replace object with updated Object under a differenct name

Schwyhart
04-11-2018, 12:40 PM
I have updated my train model, but I have been saving incrementally. Now in Layout, is it possible to retain keyframes and such but replace the mesh?

Ztreem
04-11-2018, 01:31 PM
Yes. Select the object you want to replace and use replace object and choose your new model.

Schwyhart
04-11-2018, 01:40 PM
So, i found the Replace tool. But it replaced the object with only the first layer in that object, so now parts of the train aren't there. Any suggestions?
I looked in the scene editor to see if it had something to do with visibility, but it just appears as though only layer 1 imported.

Ztreem
04-11-2018, 02:46 PM
So, i found the Replace tool. But it replaced the object with only the first layer in that object, so now parts of the train aren't there. Any suggestions?
I looked in the scene editor to see if it had something to do with visibility, but it just appears as though only layer 1 imported.

Replace every layer with 'replace with layer' and choose the layer you want from your object file.

Ztreem
04-11-2018, 02:51 PM
If you can't get it to work there is another solution. Load your new model and turn off 'parent in place'. Go to the scene editor and drag every object layer so that the layers from the new object is childs to each layer of the old object. Now you can hide the old objects or use 'replace with nulls'.

MonroePoteet
04-11-2018, 03:13 PM
Would renaming / copying the .LWO files work and then just reload the Scene? For example, if the .LWO referenced in the Scene file is MyTrain.lwo and the last incrementally saved version is MyTrain_v011.lwo, could you exit Layout, rename MyTrain.lwo to be OLD_MyTrain.lwo (or MyTrain_v000.lwo), and then copy MyTrain_v011.lwo to MyTrain.lwo and reload the Scene?

mTp

04-12-2018, 07:53 AM
Sounds like you only have a layer 1 that you are replacing.
Said another way, seems you added layers to the object after loading it with only one layer.

This has got to the most vexing thing, when first hit upon as a process killer.

Thank goodness for the load layers command.

MTp has a thought but I think the layer additions will interfere. Replacing the one layer then loading the others and parenting are probably your best bet.
Robert

ernpchan
04-12-2018, 08:46 AM
A more production friendly way to work would be to always use a "live" or "published" file. Never use your work in progress files. You can continue to model and version up through your work in progress filenames but then you should be saving your latest wip as the "live" or "published" version. It won't fix the problem of needing to add new layers to Layout if you've added new ones to the model but with this way of working you won't have to be updating individual layers as the model changes since Layout will always be pointing to the one file.

jeric_synergy
04-12-2018, 10:12 AM
So, i found the Replace tool. But it replaced the object with only the first layer in that object, .....
If that's the case, anyone besides me think that, maybe, just maybe, that tool needs to be a bit smarter? Like, checking for other layers from the same file?

Andy Webb
04-12-2018, 10:33 AM
I've always found this really annoying.

If you have an object with 4 layers saved in layout and you want to replace it with an object with 4+ layers, it should ask you if you want to load the extra layers.

Also when it come to loading individual layers why oh why can you not choose more than one object layer at a time?

Loading just a few layers becomes a real pain in the backside doing one at a time!

stiff paper
04-12-2018, 10:51 AM
I don't have LW 2018 so if that's what you're using this might not work.

Make a copy of your .lws scene file.

I'll say that again; MAKE A SAFE COPY

And again; MAKE A SAFE COPY

Open your .lws in a text editor. In Windows use notepad. You might want to change the extension from .lws to .txt temporarily. It makes things easier.

Find an occurrence of the relevant text string for your object. Do a replace all for just the part of the old/new object name that's different.

Save the file.

Change the extension back from .txt to .lws.

Try loading it in Layout.

If it doesn't work then that's fine because you MADE A SAFE COPY. Right?

jbrookes
04-13-2018, 11:42 AM
This would make a good feature request. They say they don't mind multiple requests for the same feature, so it couldn't hurt to zap a request to the LW feature request email address.

P.S. Cardboard's text-editing trick might actually work. I've had to do bulk search and replace operations to scenes files in the past and they worked nicely. The 'power' of Notepad and CTRL H.

rustythe1
04-13-2018, 12:56 PM
i thought if you selected all the objects in the "scene editor" and then did the "replace object" (not layer) it reopens the file requester each time a layer is replaced so you just keep clicking on the same object for as many layers as you have and it selects the appropriate layer,

jeric_synergy
04-13-2018, 06:00 PM
Also when it come to loading individual layers why oh why can you not choose more than one object layer at a time?

Loading just a few layers becomes a real pain in the backside doing one at a time!

Absolutely. Write it up and submit it please.

stiff paper
04-14-2018, 04:14 AM
P.S. Cardboard's text-editing trick might actually work.
Cardboard's "Text editing trick" works just fine. I've used it in production dozens (if not actually hundreds) of times.

The only thing that might make it not work is if they've done weird things to the 2018 lws format.

This is the kind of knowledge that disappears when you spend 15 years chasing away every last one of your professional users.

jeric_synergy
04-14-2018, 12:10 PM
This is the kind of knowledge that disappears when you spend 15 years chasing away every last one of your professional users.
Western Civilization lost the secret of concrete for centuries.

Imagine all the cool tips we've lost as people migrated to better supported software. :cry:

++++

This would make a good feature request. They say they don't mind multiple requests for the same feature,......

At this point, should we even worry about what they might "mind"? --Seriously, the barriers to making a FReq are incredibly low: everybody should be making every FReq they support.

AND this might be a good place to say I'm rather disappointed with the lack of traffic in the "Feature Request" forum room. WUWT?

UnCommonGrafx
04-14-2018, 12:57 PM
i thought if you selected all the objects in the "scene editor" and then did the "replace object" (not layer) it reopens the file requester each time a layer is replaced so you just keep clicking on the same object for as many layers as you have and it selects the appropriate layer,

Right.Just tried it and that is a good thing.
But if the layer isn't loaded, this won't address the problem of the op.

gerry_g
04-14-2018, 01:33 PM
Load object layer, will show you a window with all the layers of your object you want to select from and allow you to add any that you tick in the list to the existing one (the one you have selected before you start that is)

jwiede
04-14-2018, 02:18 PM
Load object layer, will show you a window with all the layers of your object you want to select from and allow you to add any that you tick in the list to the existing one (the one you have selected before you start that is)

It's the typical LW tools UX anti-pattern: A bunch of similar tools, each with significant limitations users are just a-priori expected to know in advance, and none with full "superset" functionality that covers most use cases. LW is rife with this particular anti-pattern, worsening over time, and customers' pleas and complaints have been ineffectual at motivating Newtek to fix.

LW needs explicit intent and effort made towards coalescing such cases -- at bare minimum, explicitly disallowing more from occurring. Individually they may not seem like big deals, but together they make the UX quite frustrating (requiring iterating through a bunch of options to find suitable one), and make discovery needlessly difficult.

jeric_synergy
04-14-2018, 02:24 PM
(being lazy....) Does that do it all in one go, or do you have to respond for every layer?

+++++++++

It's the typical LW tools UX anti-pattern: A bunch of similar tools, each with significant limitations users are just a-priori expected to know in advance, and none with full "superset" functionality that covers most use cases. LW is rife with this particular anti-pattern, worsening over time, and customers' pleas and complaints have been ineffectual at motivating Newtek to fix.

Bingo.

gerry_g
04-14-2018, 03:46 PM
no all layers ticked load in one go, it even has a deselect all button so if the list of layers is particularly large you can uncheck everything and then just select what you want

jeric_synergy
04-14-2018, 05:21 PM
no all layers ticked load in one go, it even has a deselect all button so if the list of layers is particularly large you can uncheck everything and then just select what you want

So, it defaults to "all ticked"?

(BTW&FWIW, any time there's a potentially lengthy "tick" list, buttons for "Clear All", "Set All" and "Invert Selection" are appreciated.)

gerry_g
04-15-2018, 07:07 AM
sorry being dumb here, got confused with 'load from scene', the 'load object layers' is a one at a time drop down menu, you select the object you want to load a layer from into the one that you currently have selected in your scene, on selecting that object you get a smallish dialogue box with a drop down that lets you pick one layer at a time, so if you want more you have to go round again, 'load from scene' on the other hand is more sophisticated and lets you make multiple selections of either objects, lights, cameras or even plugins if I remember correctly, sorry for the confusion

jeric_synergy
04-15-2018, 08:06 AM
So, does that rather put us back at square one on replacing multiple layers from a new object? IE, is it always a one layer at a time affair?

gerry_g
04-15-2018, 08:20 AM
yes or just take your existing object into modeler by selecting its master layer and hitting the modeller button top right of screen and then load into modeller the one you want to add layers from and copy and paste them there re save it and sync layout, presume that would be doable no.......

jeric_synergy
04-15-2018, 11:21 AM
Ugh.

This whole "neither fish nor fowl" aspect of the division is becoming a bigger and bigger argument for unification.

gerry_g
04-15-2018, 01:26 PM
Ugh nothing, there are tools there to fix your problems, all of them work in their own way and work well, I use them all the time, it's a whole lot better than Modo where you have to merge scene files or Blender where you have to append scene

Ron Schatz
04-22-2018, 11:47 AM
So No, replace object is just replace layer one,
Work flow,
load single layer cars (45) in to scene all round the site. Client then requests, " shouldn't the cars move?" yes of course.
So, remove all the wheels from the single layer car and add 3 wheel layers with updated pivot points, to roll and turn the cars as needed.
then replace object, OH wait where are wheels? doh
the most accurate and cleanest would be to REBUILD the scene, Pufffffff.
Has anyone made a plug-in for this? this has been the problem since what? LW6

rustythe1
04-22-2018, 01:10 PM
Only if you have only layer one selected, as I said you just need to select all the layers of the object in the scene editor, then replace object will replace em all, you just need to select the same lwo for each window that opens (this actually allows you to select different versions for different layers if you needed to)

Ron Schatz
04-22-2018, 01:33 PM
The issue is adding object layers to a single layer LWO. It just replaces layer for layer, not added layers.
If you work on the lwo thru the hub you can add layers to the scene as you save and update your lwo in LM, but if you do the work just in modeler, the scene Doesn't update the layer additions.

jeric_synergy
04-22-2018, 10:01 PM
Only if you have only layer one selected, as I said you just need to select all the layers of the object in the scene editor, then replace object will replace em all, you just need to select the same lwo for each window that opens (this actually allows you to select different versions for different layers if you needed to)

Well, that is certainly useful information. New to me, after millennia using LW.

Since many people seem to be under the same misimpression as me, perhaps a hand-holding alert would be reasonable.

rustythe1
04-23-2018, 01:15 AM
yea, that's the way lightwave is, it can do so much more than we all think, after nearly 15 years of use i still find new things every day, some times its a "that's cool" or "why did i never know this before!?" moment

jeric_synergy
04-23-2018, 08:59 AM
.... "why did i never know this before!?" moment

While the app should not be larded up with "safety rails", this kind of thing SHOULD be more discoverable. IOW, so many of us should NOT be surprised. It's indicative of something not good.