PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 2018 - Help with FiberFX and Light node editor!

Paul_Boland
04-10-2018, 05:54 PM
Hi Folks.

I'm in need for more help with Lightwave 2018 please...

First, FiberFX. I've never used this so I'm totally new to it. I have a sphere and the polygons on the top half of it are called Top and the polygons on the bottom half of it are called Bottom. I want to apply fiberFX differently to the two surfaces. But when I apply them, whatever I apply to the Top seems to mirror onto the Bottom. What am I doing wrong?

Second, I'm trying to set a light to Linear Falloff and I'm using the help in the Lights section of the online Lightwave 2018 documentation. I have applied the Linear Falloff node and wired it up as show in the diagram in the manual but when I double click on the Falloff node to adjust the falloff distance, it's greyed out and I can't adjust it. Can anyone help me with this?

Kryslin
04-11-2018, 12:03 AM
While I can' help with the light problem, I can help with the FFX problem.

In FFX, right click on your sphere, and select clone. This gives you a second instance of FFX that you can give different settings. Though really, if it's as simple as a different color, you can use an image map

If your object is subdivided, you have to have your display subd's and render subd's the same. If you're animating them make sure subdivision is moved to the bottom of the list.

FiberFX makes a lot of surface texture variation; since there are no FiberFX samples to increase, you will have to increase AA samples to clean it up. It's an exception to the samples before AA passes rule.

FiberFX is fastest under normal lights; Environment Lights are slower, and if you have a couple hours or more, radiosity.

DogBoy
04-11-2018, 03:20 AM
I have applied the Linear Falloff node and wired it up as show in the diagram in the manual but when I double click on the Falloff node to adjust the falloff distance, it's greyed out and I can't adjust it. Can anyone help me with this?
See that node called Input? See how it is plugged into Range/Nominal Distance? That is stopping you inputting any data. Unplug it if you really want to type something in.

Nodes 101:
As soon as you plug anything into a channel you can no longer input anything, because that data is the input amount. You cannot both plug something into an input and also type in a value for that same input.

And to add an image to Kryslins post. I right clicked on the object in the FiberFX panel and chose clone. Notice the bullet marks against the surface names.

Kryslin
04-11-2018, 09:53 AM
@ DogBoy : Thanks for the image.

DogBoy
04-12-2018, 04:29 AM
@ DogBoy : Thanks for the image.

My pleasure. I just thought Paul could use all the help he can get.

Paul_Boland
04-12-2018, 01:32 PM
Thanks very much, folks, that has sorted out all the issues I was having, much appreciated. Only issue I have now is, when adjusting the light falloff distance, there is no circular indication of that distance in the scene in layout like there is in Lightwave 2015. I've sent in a feature request to get this back as that visual indication of how far the light was travelling was a great help to me.

jwiede
04-13-2018, 07:17 PM
Thanks very much, folks, that has sorted out all the issues I was having, much appreciated. Only issue I have now is, when adjusting the light falloff distance, there is no circular indication of that distance in the scene in layout like there is in Lightwave 2015. I've sent in a feature request to get this back as that visual indication of how far the light was travelling was a great help to me.

I'm fine with it ALSO offering a nodally-driven operation, but we need the old dropdown & slider-based GUI control for falloff adjustment back again too, complete with (related) viewport gizmo indicating falloff range (if active). This is another case where going "all nodal" clearly detracted from efficiency-of-use and discoverability of LW's UI/UX (w.r.t. managing light falloff), and in an extremely-trafficked region of the app. Not all such changes that occurred are painful/annoying, but IMO this one is definitely one of the more painful and annoying cases.

Paul_Boland
04-15-2018, 09:18 PM
Still trying to wrap my head around FibreFX but I am getting there. I have found if I have a model with multiple layers in it, I can't use the advice above to apply textures to different named surfaces. I will create an example file of this and show you what I mean in the hope someone can help me figure that out...

But just to show that yes, I am actually making headway with Lightwave 2018, here is work in progress on recreating my Shooting Stars characters in 2018, starting with Bo Nus. Here's the current version of him:

And here he is, work in progress, in 2018:

I really like the new look. The render times are not too bad, 50 seconds. I'm going to try and learn morphs so I can make his mouth move realistically instead of just the old way, a hinged jaw that went up and down.

Kryslin
04-16-2018, 10:08 AM
FiberFX will give you many, many head against desk moments. Persevere, and keep notes. It can be worth the pain, because the result can be good. It just takes work.

And you can instance a layer of a multi layered model in FiberFX. Each layer is treated as a separate model, and thus, can be instanced with the right click on model, select clone, and enter new settings.

If you have a lot of fibers in your scene, Layout lags badly. Bring up the pixel filter / image effects panel (ctrl f8 on windows) and turn FiberFX off (click its checkmark, then turn it back on after you pose your character(s), or even update FFX settings. When you have 3-4 characters in frame, each with FFX applied, things can grind to a snail's pace. Not exactly NT's fault, I suspect other apps will have issdues with 50,000,000 fibers on objects, too.

Paul_Boland
04-16-2018, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the added help, much appreciated!

I've hit a problem... I successfully applied morphs to the characters mouth, but when I open the mouth, his beard doesn't follow! Any ideas on how to fix this?

Kryslin
04-16-2018, 11:19 PM
Is the beard on a separate layer? Does it need to be? With multiple instances of FFX you can have everything - except guide chains for long hair - on a single layer. Just make sure all the surfaces where the hair grows has a different name. Otherwise, you're going to have to have a duplicate morph for the beard, and link the two via expressions, nodes, or whatever works.

Greenlaw
04-17-2018, 11:52 AM
If the beard is a separate object without the morph map, you can use a vmap transfer plugin, like Transfer Maps from OD Tools or Weighter 2, to transfer it to the beard guides.

I haven't done this recently but the technique worked for me with ZBrush FiberMesh guides that had to deform with character morphs in LightWave. At the time I was using DrainBGVmap but that plugin only works in the old x32 LightWave.

Weighter 2 is supposed to work but I had problems with it after Windows 10 came out. OD Tools Transfer Maps works for me in Windows 10 with LightWave 2018 but I haven't applied this tool to hair guides yet. I believe it should work though.

Paul_Boland
04-17-2018, 01:39 PM

After some testing and working out the problem, I figured out I wasn't moving the chin polygons, just the lips, hence the lips were coming down over the bearded chin and the beard was showing through. I got it sorted and am continuing to make progress. Thanks for the help, appreciated.