PDA

View Full Version : Is this a genuine bug or feature change in LW 2018.3?

Ma3rk
04-10-2018, 10:13 AM
I only had LW 2018.2 for a couple days before 2018.3 was released so have to perspective on this issue at all.

I first noticed this issue when "kicking the tires" with OD Tools IES presets but then when viewing RH's new RH_LSR series it confirmed to me that something has changed.

Here's a frame capture from one of RH's videos where he's using 2018.0:

Note the items pointed to with the arrows & that the light is visible as a wireframe.

Here's what I see with an ies light:

There's no wireframe of the ies light. The Visible to Camera option is grayed although I can toggle the black check mark & toggling Show in OpenGL does nothing.

I've looked to see that I haven't missed some setting in another panel and not finding anything obvious. I'll file a report but wanted to get some confirmation first. I've tried adding Layout to the nVidia Manage 3D Settings panel (enters as Trimble SketchUp (layout.exe)) with the default settings, but made no difference.

Thanks.

RebelHill
04-10-2018, 10:18 AM
It's VPR... do you have OGL overlay turned on?

Ma3rk
04-10-2018, 11:19 AM
It's VPR... do you have OGL overlay turned on?

I was looking for that but can't find where that option is.

Ah. Found it. That'd revealed the ies light. Good deal.

What about the grayed out option though? Particularly, in affecting Spec & reflection, etc. as pointed out in your tutorials.

Thanks.

Tim Parsons
04-11-2018, 06:53 AM
What about the grayed out option though?

Some lights were never meant to be visible to camera. Point light and IES etc., so in version 2018.0.3 they greyed out the button. (Hopefully the button will be removed in future releases.)

Ma3rk
04-11-2018, 11:14 AM
Thanks Tim. There's no mention of it in the changelog so perhaps that happened in .2.

The thing is though, that setting affects how some materials render (mainly transparent & refractive as I recall) as shown in a few of RH's videos so wondering how that is being dealt with. Guess my other question would be why NOT have them visible?

Tim Parsons
04-11-2018, 11:42 AM
Thanks Tim. There's no mention of it in the changelog so perhaps that happened in .2.

The thing is though, that setting affects how some materials render (mainly transparent & refractive as I recall) as shown in a few of RH's videos so wondering how that is being dealt with. Guess my other question would be why NOT have them visible?

There is a lot of things that don't get mentioned in the change log. :) In 2018 lights that have physical properties can be seen by the camera. The point light has no physical size and IES lights are representation of how a manufactures' light behaves and nothing about it's physical characteristics, so it's only natural that these lights should not be seen. It was just an oversight on the devs part to have that button visible in the interface. Personally I think the option should disappear when not available. (Have you noticed you can still check it even though it's ghosted? :) Not good UI.)

Ma3rk
04-11-2018, 12:42 PM
Ya, that why I was wondering if it was still toggling "visibility" for surfacing in some manner. I guess I'll go back through RH's new series at some point soon where he demonstrates the issue & make some test scenes with ies lights.

I work professionally with lighting which is why I'd like the ies's to have visibility with volumetrics.

Ooo. Actually the do! Just didn't have all of the scattered about settings & tick marks checked. The "Light" itself doesn't, but the output of them do which is what I was after.

Tim Parsons
04-11-2018, 01:20 PM
I work professionally with lighting which is why I'd like the ies's to have visibility with volumetrics.

They very much do!