PDA

View Full Version : Spark SDI blue screen

bryanharley
04-09-2018, 07:02 PM
Getting a blue screen from my Spark SDI. It's running the lastest firmware. It was working OK just a few days ago. But today all I get is a blue screen.

I've tried different SDI sources and resolutions (720p60 and 1080i60), different BNC cables. Check the device webpage preview and it shows blue, checked via NDI video monitor and shows blue. I should note I’m connected via Ethernet.

Tried a factory reset. Tried reinstalling latest firmware. Still shows blue.

The lights on the front of the unit say everything is working. Solid red power light. Solid green signal light. And flashing green run light.

I'm at a loss. What's the problem?

lukerctv
04-10-2018, 09:26 AM
This is dumb, but make sure your SDI is plugged into the right port on the Spark. The incidental "SDI" logo on top of the Spark does not line up with the actual SDI input.

bryanharley
04-10-2018, 09:31 AM
Yep, there’s only two ports - Loop and Input. I’m plugged into Input.

bryanharley
04-10-2018, 12:03 PM
I should also note that I tried plugging an SDI monitor into the Loop output and don't get a signal. But I know my Input signal is good and working.

chrisfore
04-14-2018, 10:19 PM
I've had this issue as well, NewTek has no idea how to fix it. I can see my spark from studio monitor from any computer on my network except my TriCaster. I've done a factory reset on TriCaster and re-installed new firmware/drivers, no luck. I think there is a bug with the Spark....hoping that the new NDI updates will resolve it.

kanep
04-14-2018, 11:28 PM
I've had this issue as well, NewTek has no idea how to fix it. I can see my spark from studio monitor from any computer on my network except my TriCaster. I've done a factory reset on TriCaster and re-installed new firmware/drivers, no luck. I think there is a bug with the Spark....hoping that the new NDI updates will resolve it.

Is your TriCaster set to Private/Home/Work for the type of network and not public?

SBowie
04-15-2018, 07:27 AM
I can see my spark from studio monitor from any computer on my network except my TriCaster.This doesn't really sound like the same issue, does it? Are you seeing nothing but blue output from your Spark?

kanep
04-15-2018, 04:26 PM
This is dumb, but make sure your SDI is plugged into the right port on the Spark. The incidental "SDI" logo on top of the Spark does not line up with the actual SDI input.

Maybe you meant 'correct' for right, but the SDI Input is the left port when looking at the front of the unit.

bryanharley
04-15-2018, 10:44 PM
Never did get it working. NewTek had me send it in. I’m curious why it died.

chrisfore
04-16-2018, 07:36 AM
Good question, initially it seems different. However, after I sent in my spark, got a new one, and factory reset TriCaster, I am now getting the blue screen output on my Spark SDI. TriCaster still cannot see the Spark as well (although it can see other NDI sources).

kanep
04-16-2018, 08:03 AM
Can another computer see it using NDI Studio Monitor?

Being that you are getting a blue screen (not a black screen) it would seem to say that the TriCaster IS seeing the Spark, just that the the Spark isn't getting SDI input for some reason.

I'd contact support.

http://new.tk/support

Arkhound
10-23-2018, 09:18 AM
Hello,

I am currently getting this same issue with my Connect Spark. I'm using it to send the HDMI out of a laryngoscope to the NDI where I then want to access the live video via URL.

I can access the NDI via my desktop browser and from the studio monitor software but there is no video, just the blue screen.

The device is powered, lights are in order (red solid, signal solid, run blinking), HDMI plugged to "IN", and accessible from local network. I plan to test swapping out the HDMI but I've used the current one many times before and am doubtful it is the issue.

Any help?

lukerctv
10-23-2018, 09:58 AM
Sounds like an HDCP issue. What exactly is the source?

Arkhound
10-23-2018, 12:39 PM
Verathon Glidescope. We were previously using a laptop with an encoder to create a streaming server but an NDI was a meager cost increase over the encoder and completely removes the laptop and server application from the equation.

Side question if you have any knowledge on the matter: We use Unity for ease of prototyping and the Lua format that the stream is in doesn't seem to be compatible with the video player functionality in Unity. Can the video be configured to stream in a different format?

lukerctv
10-23-2018, 01:49 PM
It could be an input incompatibility with the Spark too, if the scope puts out an odd resolution/frame rate. Any idea if that's adjustable, or what exactly the video format is?

Arkhound
10-23-2018, 02:06 PM
As far as I understand, it's a generic 640x480 signal since those were the specs of the original application that I inherited.

Zane Condren
10-23-2018, 02:18 PM
There's your problem the SDI Sparks only understand Broadcast Video formats.

lukerctv
10-23-2018, 02:39 PM
He's talking HDMI, but both Sparks are missing compatibility with a bunch of formats that are seen on those input types.

I would suggest returning the HDMI Spark and getting an SDI version, and then using a scaler such as the one linked below to take the 480i HDMI input and scale it to Spark-compatible 720p or 1080p 3G-SDI

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15775

If you have to use the HDMI Spark, you can add an SDI to HDMI adapter to the chain:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10318

Arkhound
10-24-2018, 10:46 AM
So, I've actually managed to a snapshot of the output using a power injector but I can't get a sustained video feed.

I'm hesitant to put yet another adapter in the pipe. I was hoping for an all-in-one solution with the Spark but it seems like I can't get that without even more pieces. I guess I'm just surprised it doesn't handle the format like an encoder can. I may have to keep looking for a better candidate.