PDA

View Full Version : INPUT/OUTPUT: What formats do you need supported to DO YOUR JOB?

robertoortiz
04-09-2018, 08:52 AM
One thing that has become obvious as I read on the kind of work the LW community is doing, is how diverse are the needs of their user base. My needs as a DESIGNER are not the same as someone doing ARCH VIZ.

To tell us,
WHAT FORMATS do you need supported in order to do your job?
Are they currently supported by LW? If so how well?
How much are they now an industry standard?
I am looking forward to your requirements.

-R

prometheus
04-09-2018, 10:33 AM
Nothing really, since I do not work with 3d proffesionally currently.
That said, I would really like to have full svg support, that means with drill option, and with full bezier handle control, there is a free splotchdog plugin, but it can not autodrill and splines do not have control handles.
Currently I go the route of Inkscape to blender, and now also krita to inkscape to blender, then export to lightwave.

Svg I feel is a great vector format with options to edit handles, unlike eps format...and eps format requires prescription on adobe products, while svg offers a very good alternative..with extremely cost effective opensource software.

How much it is recognized as industry standard? probably not VS eps, that doesn´t mean it is a worse format, just that others in the industri while sharing files may rely and demand to work with eps.

DonJMyers
04-09-2018, 05:08 PM
I use targas and dpx. Targa is one of the oldest formats, has good color accuracy and has no size limit, so you could make a 50,000 pixel across billboard image if you wanted to.

Greenlaw
04-10-2018, 08:55 AM
Traditionally, I've always use EXR for production because it offers the most flexibility, color depth and features, and is compatible with the major compositing tools like Fusion and Nuke. At work, we use EXR, PNG, and sometimes TIF. PNG is pretty good because it supports a wide color range (not as wide as EXR though) and is compatible with pretty much anything out there. Occasionally TIF because an outside studio may use it.

For final output, it's whatever the client needs...usually a movie format but that comes out of the compositing or editng program, not LW.

robertoortiz
04-11-2018, 12:05 PM
At ANIMATON VFX:
work for animation/VFX we use PNG like crazy. That isout principal way to get LW content into After effects.
Illustration/ Motion graphics

we use a ton of VECTOR files at work used for animation and Logo work. Mostly Illustrator files.
I would be cool if Lw offered better Vector INPUT tools.

Greenlaw
04-11-2018, 12:46 PM
Yeah, same here...in our group, we use PNG for After Effects because EXR support in AE is still pretty clunky compared to Fusion and Nuke.

I wish Adobe would improve EXR support since I seem to do more comps in AE these days. (I also wish more 2D cartoon animation programs supported EXR; motion vectors, material IDs, and depth channels would useful in cartoons too.)

papou
04-11-2018, 02:00 PM
When comping, writing PNG is sometimes slower than rendering the frame. So we don't like it. Plus it is too CPU consuming :)
We prefer to use TGA, DPX, EXR.

OlaHaldor
04-11-2018, 04:04 PM
Alembic in/out.
FBX in.
PNG for textures.
EXR/DeepEXR out for compositing.
EXR out for grade and finishing.

Asticles
04-12-2018, 10:57 PM
I would like to have DWG import. That is not currently supported. I always have to export as dxf, which is extra work.

DXF is not working with 3d objects, and also, I would like to open them without having to explode everything.

3DM import is also not supported. It's an standard on surface modeling, used by rhino or moi. An interface with tessellation options would be great. Same for IGES.

STEP impot for mechanical design. Not supported. Or Solid works parts and assembly files. Also not supported.

The new gITF seems interesting, worth a check.

Best regards.

Andy Webb
04-13-2018, 04:02 AM
Import: anything and everything.
Export/Save: PNG and that's about it.

On occasions it would be handy to export different views as a 2D ai or even a PDF would be great.