PDA

View Full Version : 3 questions about the Academic version of LW

Turner
12-27-2003, 06:09 AM
Hi -

1) If the academic version is purchased now, will it also be freely upgraded to release 8?

2) Can the academic version of LW be upgraded later to a professional license?

3) Does the academic version come with printed manuals? (Actually, does the "regular" version come with printed manuals?)

I'm asking here because I'm anxious to find out, I didn't see a "sales" board, they're closed, and I'm chomping at the bit to learn some pro 3d software!

I'm hoping someone in here knows...

Thanks,
Andrew

Rich
12-27-2003, 09:37 AM
"1) If the academic version is purchased now, will it also be freely upgraded to release 8?" YES

"2) Can the academic version of LW be upgraded later to a professional license?" YES

"3) Does the academic version come with printed manuals? (Actually, does the "regular" version come with printed manuals?)"

Not sure if it comes with printed manuals but it will come with a pdf version of the manuals that make searching for items easy.

I'm not sure where your looking to buy your academic version from but if you go to www.journeyed.com (http://www.journeyed.com) This site will explain it in more detail.

Turner
12-27-2003, 09:41 AM
Hi Rich -

Thanks for the info!

Okay, first: How the heck do YOU know?? ;)

Second, this is good news. This will allow me to learn as much as I can and hopefully get some animation/visualization work after I graduate...

Cheers,
Andrew

Andyjaggy
12-27-2003, 10:53 AM
Yes the academic version does come with manuals, it is upgradable, and you should get the free lightwave 8 upgrade. I know because I bought it several months ago. It is exactly the same thing as the regular version you just can't use it for commersial stuff.

Moser95814
03-15-2004, 02:44 PM
I got the manual with the academic version. I also recieved the UV freebie (which was a nice surprize) with the NT email saying I would be recieving the upgrade to 8. I didn't get the DFX+ bonus (not suprized). I also read somewhere that you can upgrade to the commercial version for around $500.00.

iharris
03-16-2004, 10:27 AM
The upgrade to pro license is $495 I believe. I got my academic license in Sept and also go tthe emails, particularly like the free UV plugin:D .