PDA

View Full Version : Getting there!

Tony3d
04-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Ok, finally modeled, and rendered a scene from scratch in 2018, and I think my clients should like this look. Surfaced in Principal.

kopperdrake
04-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Beautiful - love the reflections.

jwiede
04-08-2018, 01:24 PM
Are the copper wires done using Principled material or Conductor? If Principled, perhaps try using Conductor instead?

The wires still look kind of "plasticky" to me -- more like bronze-colored plastic than actual copper wires. The rest looks quite nice, though.

Tony3d
04-08-2018, 02:18 PM
Actually your right, the wire were conductor. Looks much better than my copper from 2015 actually. For my first try, i’m Actually stating to like this method. Going to start making up a bunch of surfaces. I may have added a bit to much roughness to the wire sides.

prometheus
04-08-2018, 02:23 PM
Are the copper wires done using Principled material or Conductor? If Principled, perhaps try using Conductor instead?

The wires still look kind of "plasticky" to me -- more like bronze-colored plastic than actual copper wires. The rest looks quite nice, though.

As for looking at real reference copper and online web reference, copper mostly have that pinkredish look, rather than yellowGreenish..brown, that tends to look more like brass.
That is one part of why the image posted doesnt look like copper.

I used to cut cablewires for car cables for some two years or so in the late 80s early 90s, my first job 3 months after school..puhh..the most dull job I ever had, I think I know how they look like.
Otherwise ..nice image.

Ztreem
04-08-2018, 02:46 PM
It can also be good to look up some pbr colors for metals and use as a starting point.
https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StandardShaderMaterialCharts.html

Tony3d
04-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Can you show me a rendered example of copper wire? That would help a lot.

Tony3d
04-08-2018, 10:08 PM
Does this color, and texture look better?

BigHache
04-08-2018, 10:10 PM
That is a great looking render. And I'd say that looks more coppery.

Tony3d
04-08-2018, 10:21 PM
That is a great looking render. And I'd say that looks more coppery.

Thanks! At first I was really put off by this new Principal render engine, but now that Ive dabbled in it a bit, I think Ill be ok. Now if they can only work a bit on modeler!

Adjusted the lighting just a bit.

CaptainMarlowe
04-09-2018, 02:42 AM
Very nice render. Well done.

kopperdrake
04-09-2018, 03:01 AM
Now if they can only work a bit on modeler!

Sounds like that's next, if that poll was anything to go by. Exciting times!

Ztreem
04-09-2018, 04:07 AM
Thanks! At first I was really put off by this new Principal render engine, but now that Ive dabbled in it a bit, I think Ill be ok. Now if they can only work a bit on modeler!

Adjusted the lighting just a bit.

I think the highlights of the copper is a little too yellowish. Look here. https://www.google.se/search?q=copper+wire&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiBn9nN-KzaAhUGrlkKHQG0AwgQ_AUICigB&biw=1600&bih=1069#imgrc=3YkV8TE-Tki2DM:

Tony3d
04-09-2018, 04:34 AM
I think the highlights of the copper is a little too yellowish. Look here. https://www.google.se/search?q=copper+wire&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiBn9nN-KzaAhUGrlkKHQG0AwgQ_AUICigB&biw=1600&bih=1069#imgrc=3YkV8TE-Tki2DM:

Not sure how to fix that. The lights are pure white!

Ztreem
04-09-2018, 04:54 AM
Not sure how to fix that. The lights are pure white!

Ah OK, I thought it was a bit yellow in the light. Maybe the color of the copper is too saturated.

RPSchmidt
04-09-2018, 07:44 AM
You may want to consider adding some minor normal mapping to the wire... the color is good, but the flawlesslessness of your wire is throwing me.

Of course, an idealized render might be more what your client is looking for. But if you had some normal mapping on the wire to add some minor shading and very slight imperfections, it might look more realistic.

At the end of the day, though, an excellent render!

Tony3d
04-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Thought this new rendering engine was suppose to take care of that sort of thing? Wouldn’t that material take on colored hightlights?

Ztreem
04-09-2018, 09:53 AM
Maybe your render is in linear color space? I did a quick test in Blender as I don't have Lw2018. This is the principled shader with copper color and white lights. Same render but different color spaces.

prometheus
04-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Maybe your render is in linear color space? I did a quick test in Blender as I don't have Lw2018. This is the principled shader with copper color and white lights. Same render but different color spaces.

Yes..that can be quite different.

also, when choosing color for copper, rather than relying on the copper preset, you could use the color picker and pick from screen ..and choose from a web image of copper.

or maybe...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_(color)

Tony3d
04-09-2018, 10:41 AM
color space is RGB Preset.

prometheus
04-09-2018, 10:41 AM

Yes..that can be quite different.

also, when choosing color for copper, rather than relying on the copper preset, you could use the color picker and pick from screen ..and choose from a web image of copper.

or maybe...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_(color)

checking my inside lightwave book appendix..
R:186
G:110
B:64

None of the 2018 copper presets has those values set, then again..copper color may shift depending on how it has been treated.

prometheus
04-09-2018, 11:04 AM
the standard first copper preset and changed to values from the index from inside lightwave..top image with changed values, the lower image is the copper preset with unaltered color values.
srgb preset.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=141112&d=1523293295

In this case I prefer the copper look of the changed colors to the index from inside lightwave, though it is missing that pinkish tone overall, it depends also what kind of environment it is in, picking up color bleeding in the surface reflection..
pure white environment, and we may get a very low pinkish value, and darker environmen more to pinkish darker copper.
Ztreem and his first image in srgb looks better.

gerry_g
04-09-2018, 11:52 AM
you should be running the sRGB preset from the colour space menu, meaning you imported images and rendering is done in linear space but your image viewer is set to sRGB so it looks corrected on your monitor which is sRGB of course , there is a toggle on your image viewer that will let you see the linear version if you want but the idea is to export it as 32bt tif and gamma correct it in post rather than just take the rendered outcome as it stands, or better still set up some buffers and export all buffers in 32bt space

Ernest
04-09-2018, 03:50 PM

Those are plain light shots, not art directed, studio-lit product shots. A little bit further down that search there are some actual beauty shots of real copper
http://www.precimax.co.in//wp-content/uploads/2015/03/metal-wire-drawing.jpg

jwiede
04-09-2018, 04:20 PM
Does this color, and texture look better?

Referring to #8 / #10, material looks better, but color still too yellow/brown for copper (IMO).

jwiede
04-09-2018, 04:26 PM
Those are plain light shots, not art directed, studio-lit product shots. A little bit further down that search there are some actual beauty shots of real copper

In particular, note how the Copper spec/reflection is consistently red-pink-white spectrum (very little yellow or orange), and how saturated the red is regardless of lighting. Copper is _very_ red.