PDA

View Full Version : Application memory problem

protogenes
04-07-2018, 08:48 PM
LW 2018 often causes an error warning of running out of application memory, so the OS pauses LW. This happens even when no other programs are running.

I'm running a Mac, 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB ram, OS Sierra 10.12.6.

Anyone got any fixes/ideas?

Thanks.

dlvphoto
04-09-2018, 11:27 PM
LW 2018 often causes an error warning of running out of application memory, so the OS pauses LW. This happens even when no other programs are running.

I'm running a Mac, 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB ram, OS Sierra 10.12.6.

Anyone got any fixes/ideas?

Thanks.

Reduce your Primary and Secondary rays on the GI panel. I've noticed that memory usage goes up exponentially with Primary rays * Secondary Rays during the Preprocess phase.

Pull up a process/memory monitor and hit render. Watch the memory increase during the preprocess phase. I've seen it increase to the initial memory usage on the preview screen multiplied by the Primary ray setting.

I'm thinking this is a bug as that seems extremely high for any render engine. The trend holds even in simple scenes a box, a ball and a single light and all other sample settings at 1. The memory usage doesn't increase with that level of multiplier when other sample rates increase, though it does increase measurably as you'd expect. The astronomical increase with Primary rays is problematic.

I'm working out a scene with a proper predictive trend line and will file a bug report by tomorrow on this with it. I've seen it on two different systems with both 2018.0.2 and 2018.0.3, both with and without plugins, and with a fresh install of 2018.0.3.

Asticles
04-10-2018, 12:38 AM
I also opened a bug report about that some days ago. Let's hope it will be get fixed on the next version.

jakuzaa
04-12-2018, 01:12 AM
Same here. edit: Windows 10

dlvphoto
04-27-2018, 08:26 AM
It took me longer than I had hoped and it was Oliver (of OD Tools) who finally used a scene I built to nail it down. Looks like a memory leak in transparency. If you have transparent objects in your scene, set them to 0% and see if it still has insane memory usage. Oliver filed the bug report before I could get to it, but it's filed with significant detail on how and when it happens.

squarewulf
04-27-2018, 12:51 PM
Have you tried downloading more ram?