PDA

View Full Version : exporting from LW 2018 to unity - workflow?

andromeda_girl
04-07-2018, 12:09 PM
hey there, found a video online for LW 11 to unity but this is ancient and the workflow is not at all the same... the video actually showed LW and unity talking to each other live and LW automatically exporting an FBX scene for unity but LW 2018 does not have this happening, it must have changed the workflow and so far i cannot find any information on how this is done.

is there any documentation on this with 2018's new version of LW?
thank you,

Ztreem
04-07-2018, 03:23 PM
The automatic workflow you mention is a plugin for unity shipped with lw 11 or 11.5 that enables unity to read lws files. You can just export fbx from modeler or layout and import in unity works just fine.

andromeda_girl
04-07-2018, 03:26 PM
thanks for the reply but not really, it doesn't. re-mapping all the surfacing has to be done for a start.
does the mesh import, yes. 200 surfaces textures or material types? not a single one.
:P

Ztreem
04-07-2018, 04:15 PM
thanks for the reply but not really, it doesn't. re-mapping all the surfacing has to be done for a start.
does the mesh import, yes. 200 surfaces textures or material types? not a single one.
:P

I don’t think that materials and textures comes intact to unity from any software especially not pbr materials as fbx doesn’t support that yet.

Ztreem
04-07-2018, 04:18 PM
If you load all your textures into unity before importing your model, the supported texture channels used to be applied with the right texture.

andromeda_girl
04-07-2018, 04:38 PM
urgh.
a somewhat unexpected procedure :)
would have been nice to know that before i started.
I would not have expected that. unity is pretty alient to me :P
really wish these software companies can all just agree on a single format. exchanging between packages is such a headache.

Vänta!!

Vad fan! Du är ifran Sverige :D
Fantastisk. Jag behöver mer svensk vänner. Vilken stad bor dig?
Jag kommer tilbacka till Sverige i Mai och Juni... jag ska besok med vänner i Stockholm och i Malmö också.
Jag studera svenska, men min svenska är inte bra, förlåt. jag måste studera mer. Jag ska till Berlitz sprak institutet i Stockholm i Juni för mer lektioner.

rustythe1
04-07-2018, 04:58 PM
I don’t think that materials and textures comes intact to unity from any software especially not pbr materials as fbx doesn’t support that yet.

i think it does support it, if you look through the change log there have been many fixes for FBX, including things like metalness (which one would assume the PBR settings relate to) fbx dosnt have to support PBR, it just needs to support where the images and settings plug into, however if you look through the change log it could still be quite broken (some fixes did relate to colours and textures not exporting) it all seems to work to Unreal fine so the problem could be more unity import, remember, if its like unreal, you need to put all texture maps etc in the same folder as the FBX for them to be seen,

ConjureBunny
04-07-2018, 07:38 PM
Hi,

Are you exporting from Modeler or Layout? The rules are slightly different (OF COURSE :D )

Are you trying to include animations? Are you trying to control the camera and lighting?

Are you trying to make textures look the same? If so you'll need to UV everything. LightWave does support PBR, but as far as I know, does not have an easy way to export PBR into a format Unity can use now. That's a real damn shame, and it's something I plan on correcting with a plugin at some point, but there's only so many bottles of Adderall I can down in a day before I start seeing demons.

There are all kinds of gotchas when working with LightWave and Unity. I probably need to update my videos for Unity 2018 but a lot of them still apply.

It's a shame the LightWave bridge never got more fleshed out, it wasn't a bad idea. There was also a brief attempt by an LW/Unity user at one point to create a plugin for Unity that could read Modeler files. He got really close to getting it right, but that was 5 years or more ago. And of course, the Modeler file format just changed again, so it's a moot point.

Um... If you can tell us a wee bit more about what you're doing, and how you'd like to do it, I suspect we can give you better advice. I'm not speaking in the "royal we" here, my specialty is somewhat limited to Modeler, mechs, and human-like animations.

-Chilton

BigHache
04-07-2018, 08:15 PM
I started a quick start guide in the thread LightWave to Unity Quickstart (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?156142-LightWave-to-Unity-Quickstart). It's not extensive, just a quick start.

Chilton, I think you've spent more time than most on the forums in Unity and LW, please feel free to add comments and I'll adjust the PDF.

Morgan Nilsson
04-08-2018, 12:56 PM
urgh.
a somewhat unexpected procedure :)
would have been nice to know that before i started.
I would not have expected that. unity is pretty alient to me :P
really wish these software companies can all just agree on a single format. exchanging between packages is such a headache.

Vänta!!

Vad fan! Du är ifran Sverige :D
Fantastisk. Jag behöver mer svensk vänner. Vilken stad bor dig?
Jag kommer tilbacka till Sverige i Mai och Juni... jag ska besok med vänner i Stockholm och i Malmö också.
Jag studera svenska, men min svenska är inte bra, förlåt. jag måste studera mer. Jag ska till Berlitz sprak institutet i Stockholm i Juni för mer lektioner.

Generally, obj or fbx files is the way to go either way. Those bridges that are often shown for other packages are really just gimicky things of no real importance in my honest opinion. And yes, you have to do the surfacing in the game engines themselves as well, but that is expected anyways as it enables you to organize things easier rather than have a bridge/importer do it for you which can be quite messy in-engine.

Tja ;)