PDA

View Full Version : Ann: AR Portfolio

ConjureBunny
04-06-2018, 06:30 AM
AR Portfolio (which can be found here (https://mailchi.mp/a9db7083f3fd/new-product-on-liberty3dcom-ar-portfolio-by-chilton-webb)) is a pre-configured platform to rapidly build an Augmented Reality app around your 3D models. Great for any 3D artists who want to show off their own work to prospective clients, friends, fellow artist or turn into an app they can produce and sell to a customer.

This kit contains:

A secret webpage just for AR Portfolio users that will contain tips, videos, and additional features.
A Unity project preconfigured for deployment to Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows platforms.
Real-time Light Estimation and a custom solution for platforms that don’t support it
Instructions for creating extremely high speed, high quality, faked shadows and a real-time custom shadow engine that works on all platforms.
A custom user interface that allows you to control placement, rotation, and scale.
A simplified model loading system that requires practically no setup.
Hundreds of hours of testing on multiple devices.
Custom, in-depth error checking to detect multiple failure states
Hundreds of lines of custom code to control all of the above features. You will never need to look at them, but they’re well documented in case you want to learn how it all works.
Ongoing development with frequent updates, to keep the product at the cutting edge of augmented reality advances.

Months of work went into refining this project, which started as the AR-Showcase Factory, to create the most advanced augmented reality quick-start package in the industry. Existing ARKit and ARShowcase Factory users will get a free upgrade email shortly.

Here are a few tech demos of various capabilities. Note that not all features are available on all platforms yet.

Here's a video showing some of the tech you get automatically, by using this kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6043V1wVRE

For more information, take a look here:
ARPortfolio on Liberty3D.com (https://mailchi.mp/a9db7083f3fd/new-product-on-liberty3dcom-ar-portfolio-by-chilton-webb)

Thanks!
-Chilton

JamesCurtis
04-06-2018, 07:11 AM
Cool! Might be interested. Price on website is reasonable.

Question: do I need to have VR goggles for me to use or see this properly?. I don't have them.

ConjureBunny
04-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Hi James!

No headset needed. This is something that runs in your phone or on any computer with a webcam. You can use it to build apps that you keep on your own devices, send to other people, or sell on the various app stores.

I basically took all of the top augmented reality stuff, created a wrapper for it, and then added some custom code that ties it all together. The whole is definitely greater than the sum of the parts, in this case.

And it will evolve over time, with new additions. ARKit just added wall detection and I know ARCore is about to do the same. So this product will at some point have an included wall detection system. It can already do image marker detection through Vuforia, but I plan on including a free replacement for that tech at some point in the future, too, as that tech evolves on ARKit and ARCore.

-Chilton

fishhead
04-06-2018, 10:21 AM
Sounds great, Chilton. Really looking forward to what you come up with! :-)

kopperdrake
04-06-2018, 10:29 AM
Very neat. A few questions if I could, Chilton :)

Does it need a phone with a built in compass to function correctly?

Can I load several objects into one scene, but turn them on or off (ie, colour variants of a product that someone might want to see which is better?)

I notice a scale system when you import your object - do the apps respect the initial size, so if a 1m cube is placed in the scene, it will appear to be 1m?

I'll buy it anyway, but the answers would be cool to know :thumbsup:

omichon
04-06-2018, 10:32 AM
doh ! I was so exited to play with that but ARcore can't be installed on any of my devices :bangwall:
Please Chilton, can you tell me what kind of phone or tablet do I need for that ?

ConjureBunny
04-06-2018, 10:37 AM
Very neat. Does it need a phone with a built in compass to function correctly?

Yeah, kinda. Newer phones are better, but Image marker detection will work on pretty much any phone.
So you technically can do this even on a pretty low end phone. I have a Note 4 that image markers work on.

I don't want to mislead anyone though--the stuff you see in these videos is called ground plane detection, and that requires a newer phone.
For the iPhone, you'll want a 5s or later, and for Android, a Galaxy 7 or something in that class.

That said, just a few weeks ago the specs for iPhone were much higher, you needed an iPhone 7 or later. So I'm hoping the same underlying tech for that gets a migration to Android soon, so older Droids can use ground plane detection, too. I don't know if that will happen or not though.

-Chilton

kopperdrake
04-06-2018, 10:40 AM
Is ground plane detection an Android version thing, or a hardware thing? If it's an Android version thing, do you know what version?

ConjureBunny
04-06-2018, 10:43 AM
doh ! I was so exited to play with that but ARcore can't be installed on any of my devices :bangwall:
Please Chilton, can you tell me what kind of phone or tablet do I need for that ?

I feel your pain. I have probably four Droid phones it WON'T work on.
Oh and there's a thing out there called ARCoreForAll, which I banged around on for probably a month with zero luck. If you have a lot of spare time and want to see if you can make it work, great :D
https://skarredghost.com/2017/11/02/install-arcore-android-phones-using-arcoreforall/

Again, no luck here, but your mileage may vary.

But there's a little hope. One of the underlying toolkits I used for AR Portfolio came up with a ground plane detection for the iPhone that didn't use ARKit, and works on older phones. I know they're trying to bring it to Android, for phones that don't do ARCore. I just don't know if it's going to happen or not.

So, for the iPhone, you'll want a 5s or later, and for Android, a Galaxy 7 or something in that class.

And image markers will work on pretty much anything with a camera. Image markers aren't free though, at this time. I'm working on a thing to make it so my users can use them for free, but who knows how long it will take. Image markers let you use an image of something as the ground plane, and if the camera sees that image, it slaps your model onto it wherever it is.

-Chilton

JamesCurtis
04-06-2018, 11:11 AM
I have Samsung Galaxy Note Pro tablet model SM-P900 with android 5.02 or 04 I think on it. Will this still work for me? I do not own a smartphone.

Markc
04-06-2018, 11:24 AM
From what I read on Google Developers site, ARCore needs Android 7.0 or higher.

ConjureBunny
04-06-2018, 12:39 PM
Right, ARCore does have that requirement.

For devices under that requirement, Vuforia's SLAM and image marker systems are used, and can provide a usable solution. So we're not limited to what ARCore can do, but it's close to the same specs.

As different companies race to create better solutions though, I will probably change how AR Portfolio works under the hood. But the core concepts will remain the same, so updates and porting to newer versions will be a snap.

My intent is to create a layer of abstraction between the underlying toolkit (ARCore, ARKit, Vuforia, others) and what you use, so all you need to do is drag in your models and optionally tweak a few things.

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
04-06-2018, 12:44 PM
Great question re the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro tablet, I don't know the answer.

I'm going to post a new test tonight, and try to keep it updated so people can find out whether or not their equipment will work with it.

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
04-06-2018, 12:51 PM
Is ground plane detection an Android version thing, or a hardware thing? If it's an Android version thing, do you know what version?

It's apparently hardware dependent, but the requirements keep changing as they find clever ways to make it work on older hardware. I'm going to put a test app together tonight so people can try it out on their phones, to see what it works on.

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
04-10-2018, 12:28 AM
Everyone who bought ARKit or ARShowcase Factory should have an email now giving them a free upgrade to AR Portfolio.

Going forward, only AR Portfolio will be maintained, as it contains the best of both worlds, and I have massive plans for this one :) .

-Chilton

omichon
04-10-2018, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the free upgrade, Chilton :)
Looking forward to get the proper hardware to play with it.