PDA

View Full Version : Tricaster Mini War Story -- Power Pushes In! BEWARE!!!!

ewolfram
04-04-2018, 05:37 PM
During setup, I plugged in the power supply on our Tricaster mini, as I had done many times before, and it just pushed in the AC power port. The plug had nothing to plug into anymore because it was pushed inside the Mini box. This happened on a Sunday morning right before an important live event from Union Sq. NYC. To make matters worse, although we had several Allen wrench kits, we didn't have the strange star-shaped kit that is needed to open up the Tricaster (honestly, who does? And if you don't have one, get one now.) So we ended up needing to use pliers to open the box and retrieve the power cord from inside. It worked and our event went well. But you can see the damage that needed to be done.

Something like this really should never happen. This is a known issue and Newtek lets us go into battle with crap like this. When I contacted support, they took a week to tell me to send it in for repair, of course, at my cost and we'd need to rent another unit while it was away.

I'm mostly writing this to let others know to get those star-shaped wrench kits and to say a prayer every time you plug in your mini.

lukerctv
04-04-2018, 07:20 PM
The power connector and included power supply for the Minis are both tragically awful. I wonder if anyone's modded the Mini with a better power connector?

I also ran into those obscure security bits trying to get inside my Mini to diagnose an issue, pretty frustrating. There's really no need for it.

Lee-AVP
04-05-2018, 09:22 AM
I fully support your field modification.

We had an 850 that went back to Newtek for a bad RJ45 connector on the back. When it came back from repair, it still didn't work. Took a drill to the top of the case, run an ethernet cable through the hole, plugged it in to the motherboard, and siliconed it in place. In battle, you do what you have to do.

lukerctv
11-03-2018, 06:32 PM
Just had this happen today - needed emergency surgery in the field.

Can't wait to get rid of these Minis...