PDA

View Full Version : Node Editor - Zoom via Hot Keys

devin
04-04-2018, 09:04 AM
I'm trying to finally have a go at Nodes with 2018 and then discover that you can't use the normal zoom hot keys (Ctl + Alt + LMB) to zoom in the window.

I first thought it was a bug with my install but then discovered...

"While you can use the Alt key and mouse to pan the Node Editor window around, Magnifying needs to be done with the icon at the top right of the viewport."

Why? Code limitation? Why would you not extend normal navigation to the editor, esp. with a release now so heavily dependent on the node editor?

Ztreem
04-04-2018, 10:03 AM
I'm trying to finally have a go at Nodes with 2018 and then discover that you can't use the normal zoom hot keys (Ctl + Alt + LMB) to zoom in the window.

"While you can use the Alt key and mouse to pan the Node Editor window around, Magnifying needs to be done with the icon at the top right of the viewport."

Why? Code limitation? Why would you not extend normal navigation to the editor, esp. with a release now so heavily dependent on the node editor?

I think it's a limitation of the node editor. Also test the paning icon and see how its movement is inverted compare to the rest of LW. It's just the way it is. :D

jeric_synergy
04-04-2018, 10:36 AM
I think it's a limitation of the node editor. Also test the paning icon and see how its movement is inverted compare to the rest of LW. It's just the way it is. :D

Not much of an excuse, is it? (I'm sure you're not justifying it here. ;) )

People SPEAK of the malleability of software, but often treat it like it was carved in stone.

That inversion thing? That should be fixed. CONSISTANCY, devs, is a big thing. --Although I never noticed it, so perhaps it works better for me: I know I always go "the wrong way" first in GE. Another speed bump, but just for me.

prometheus
04-04-2018, 11:49 AM

It seems consistent with the direction of focus.. when you use pan icon in viewports in layout, same in in modeler...so what are you refering to exactly as inverted compared to the "rest" of lightwave?

the lack of good navigation options, zooming with mouse and more simpler control is partly why I don´t like to use nodes in Lightwave, and have been complaining about it for a while.
With blender nodes VS Lightwave..

For blender It´s a one key button press and pan(middle mouse), with lightwave it is Three buttons to keep pressed.
Lightwave lacks mouse zooming, while blender got a one button mouse middle weel to zoom in, or I can use my keyboard built in scrollwheel as well.
Zoom level, lightwave stops at a too low zooming level, blender much more zoomable.
Rubberband jagged connection lines in Lightwave, looks horrible..blenders much smoother.
Fit all option, huhh..what kind of shortcut is +F?? VS blenders home buttton..much better for me.
Adding nodes in between connections in blender..while keeping connections,Not possible with lightwave without disconnecting and re-route the connections again.
For blender Much nicer graphic choosen for nodes, nodeelement and colors, including node input slots are bigger.

That is all a huge part of why I prefer the nodes in blender VS Lightwave.

Ztreem
04-04-2018, 03:12 PM
It seems consistent with the direction of focus.. when you use pan icon in viewports in layout, same in in modeler...so what are you refering to exactly as inverted compared to the "rest" of lightwave?

You're right its consistent. I was tired after a long day at work and mixed it all together...Another thing that is kind of logic but at the same time it's not. When you drag the mouse to the left with the alt key pressed the view goes to the left if you drag the mouse to the left with the pan icon the view goes to the right. It is consistent so no problem, it just confused me after a long day at work.

jeric_synergy
04-04-2018, 06:32 PM
You're right its consistent. I was tired after a long day at work and mixed it all together...Another thing that is kind of logic but at the same time it's not. When you drag the mouse to the left with the alt key pressed the view goes to the left if you drag the mouse to the left with the pan icon the view goes to the right. It is consistent so no problem, it just confused me after a long day at work.

::test test test:: With the icon, it's like you're moving the window, with ALT it's like you're moving the background. --Works well.

Snosrap
04-04-2018, 08:42 PM

Yeah - this has been that way forever and it is just plain stupid. Anything can be done if there is a will. Do the devs not know about this. They should assign somebody just to go around the software and fix all these little things.

Ztreem
04-05-2018, 05:11 AM
Yeah - this has been that way forever and it is just plain stupid. Anything can be done if there is a will. Do the devs not know about this. They should assign somebody just to go around the software and fix all these little things.

Most of the devs is users themselfs so you would think that things like this shouldn’t be in there from the beginning. It’s kind of annoying that we need to bug report every little thing we find even when it feels obvious. My faith is gone...

jeric_synergy
04-05-2018, 09:47 AM
YES. Dozens of "little things" add up to a dissatisfying user experience. That adds up to users being reluctant to use the app. Q.E.D.

+++++++++++
OK, here's my feature request (FReq):

Adjusting view in NODE EDITOR: various points

1) there is no provision for incremental keyboard adjustment of zoom. --I suggest "+", "-", and/or "[" and "]", which are all traditional, consistent keys for adjusting view in LW/LWM. (While technically "[" and "]" are not adjusting the _zoom_, the user experience is much the same. )

2) Hotkeys are not consistent with the rest of the app. Once again, CONSISTENCY improves user experience.

WHY would "a" suddenly be "Select All" when this is not the case for most of the app? In LW/LWM, "a" has {always/for a long time} been "Show All". Having the function but with a different hotkey is just confusing. If the dev wanted to use "a" for "Select All", use CTRL-a, which is a common shortcut for "Select All".

C'monnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Originally I was just going to request a keyboard zoom, but once I saw what a dog's breakfast the Node Editor navigation is, I expanded it to beat the consistency drum.

Ztreem
04-05-2018, 10:05 AM
YES. Dozens of "little things" add up to a dissatisfying user experience. That adds up to users being reluctant to use the app. Q.E.D.

Exactly. That is my reason to leave LW, too many small things broken, old or workflow wise slow to operate.

jeric_synergy
04-05-2018, 10:19 AM
Exactly. That is my reason to leave LW, too many small things broken, old or workflow wise slow to operate.
Check my edit/expansion of my post, weigh in.