PDA

View Full Version : Glow on Standard

Tony3d
04-03-2018, 11:12 AM
Where did they put the glow on Standard import, and so long as you don’t save anything, your original files can’t get changed correct? Ok I found the glow panel, but I’ll be damn if I can get it to work!

04-03-2018, 11:54 AM
Glow is by itself in the image processing tab, if I recall correctly.

Can't be changed if you don't save'em.
Robert

Tony3d
04-03-2018, 12:32 PM
Glow is by itself in the image processing tab, if I recall correctly.

Can't be changed if you don't save'em.
Robert
I saved everything. Image, modeles, and scene.

gerry_g
04-03-2018, 03:08 PM
also it doesn't work very well, could not find a good setting at all when I tried it, you may have better luck, better done in post

Tony3d
04-03-2018, 03:19 PM
This 2018 upgrade after all the years of waiting, was a solid let down as far as I’m concerned!

- - - Updated - - -

How is it suppose to work? It does nothing on this end!

BigHache
04-03-2018, 03:37 PM
Just to confirm, are you doing an F9 render or are you using VPR? Glow is a post-process image filter and will not show in VPR.

Tony3d
04-03-2018, 04:29 PM
No, I'm doing a final F9 render. Can you explain how to set it up? Here's my panel.

Tony3d
04-03-2018, 05:24 PM
Nevermind. Got it working

prometheus
04-04-2018, 12:19 PM
also it doesn't work very well, could not find a good setting at all when I tried it, you may have better luck, better done in post

what would that be? I donīt see any direct issue with it..at least the glow seem to be there as it should according to radius etc, but I can not tell for sure if the quality is lesser or not, since the discovery edition destroys the render with checkers.

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind. Got it working

Tony...a bit of lecturing, if you had taken a routine of searching for glow in forum search, you would have spared yourself the frustration and commenting of Lw 2018 being a solid let down (at least for this task)
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?156152-Putting-Glow-on-a-material-for-Luminosity-2018&highlight=glow

It should in fact be easier now with glow since you can use the whole list of surfaces and check several surfaces to include glow, instead of previously click on each surface and switch tab to set the glow there.
Check my post..and image in the thread link for the use of corona instead of glow, and how I set that up, the glow output is there set to luminosity channel..so whatever surface has luminosity is affected by corona.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=140259&d=1519329162

Tony3d
04-04-2018, 01:56 PM
I really wasn't referring to the glow. in general this upgrade is simple not right for me, or rmy clients needs. I have many clients whom I have done work for over the past 17 years, and they have a look that there entire portfolio's are based on. With Lightwave 2018, it seems I would have a lot of trouble matching that look. Countless times they will re-render old scene files, and make changes to them. I haver built up a Library of models that I pick from to build new scenes. Seems all of those models will need to be re-surfaced! I don't have the time for that for many reasons. It would probably cost my clients a lot of money to redo all that work. I'm talking hundreds of models. With this new system I can't take that chance! I'm sure there are many people out there in my situation. If they have found an efficient way of dealing with this, I'd love to hear from them!

prometheus
04-04-2018, 02:05 PM
I really wasn't referring to the glow. in general this upgrade is simple not right for me, or rmy clients needs. I have many clients whom I have done work for over the past 17 years, and they have a look that there entire portfolio's are based on. With Lightwave 2018, it seems I would have a lot of trouble matching that look. Countless times they will re-render old scene files, and make changes to them. I haver built up a Library of models that I pick from to build new scenes. Seems all of those models will need to be re-surfaced! I don't have the time for that for many reasons. It would probably cost my clients a lot of money to redo all that work. I'm talking hundreds of models. With this new system I can't take that chance! I'm sure there are many people out there in my situation. If they have found an efficient way of dealing with this, I'd love to hear from them!

That is why you should do your best and try the Trial version before purchasing, try you must:yoda:, and investigate what it ment by new surfaces and lights(me smartass..no one likes:D )
Yeah..I figured your comment was more a General frustration, but it was written in context as you complained about the glow ..especially with the post previously.

For me..I spared myself of being dissapointed and didnīt upgrade this time, I knew from the trial that it doesnīt work for me as I expected it too, but itīs really not about the surfacing in my case, In fact I love the new surfaces mostly, itīs other things that doesnīt fullfill what I had expected, I will wait one or two more years and see what happens.

Edited long past original message....
And I am more of a hobbiest user nowadays, if I were to have many clients with premade models and texturing, it would have been more crucial and big responsibility for me to ensure and really verify the new Lightwave version as well as reading up on surfaces for me, that said...If I would have had lightwave 2018 at the time when I did product renders for a company, then I strongly beleive that I would have benefited from the new surfaces and the new lights...the new lightwave version does however not fit the bill for my current personal projects.

Currently I am trying out the Environment lights with spaceship lighting, and it seems to be very useful for speed and yet giving that GI look sort of, especially if you lower environment lights raytraced shadows to maybe 50% black, turning raytraced shadows off completly will give you the ambient kind of light, since that is now gone..but for my spaceshot It isnīt an option to have it was out/disregard shadows completely.
brute force GI I do not think is feasable for me in render speed for animations though.