PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave presets

Tony3d
04-02-2018, 07:59 AM
I remember seeing a surfacing site called Preset Central years ago. My link no longer works. What happened to them? Are they compatible with Lightwave 2018? Also, why does 2018 have so few presets?

prometheus
04-02-2018, 08:05 AM
I remember seeing a surfacing site called Preset Central years ago. My link no longer works. What happened to them? Are they compatible with Lightwave 2018? Also, why does 2018 have so few presets?

there were two ..preset central and another one later, they seem to both have gone, in my opinion it should be maintained by Newtek/lightwave group..
for your last question....the 2015 also had quite few presets, it may depend on user help as well, it really takes time to make Good presets, and I actually think they at least got some good basics going for general surfacing, it lacks
others where textures are needed..and it also requires either procedurals or real bitmap textures.

Tony3d
04-02-2018, 08:37 AM
What about the classic presets? Are they gone to? What the hell? I’ll never get this version going if I have to remake all my presets. I have literally hundreds set up per client! Don’t even no where to start!

Markc
04-02-2018, 09:09 AM
Have you tried copying the 2015 presets into the 2018 folder, they might work :goodluck:

Tony3d
04-02-2018, 09:24 AM
Have you tried copying the 2015 presets into the 2018 folder, they might work :goodluck:

No I have not. I figured if the classic presets are gone, they probably won’t work. I could try it, but I’m pretty sure they will be pretty broken. So far changing this whole rendering engine over I think was a bad idea. Would have been much better concentrating on Modeler which hasn’t had much of any upgrade for years. I’m finding even after hours of tweaking, my old renderings look better in 2015. If I had a chance to do it over again, I would not have upgraded!

prometheus
04-02-2018, 09:33 AM
No I have not. I figured if the classic presets are gone, they probably won’t work. I could try it, but I’m pretty sure they will be pretty broken. So far changing this whole rendering engine over I think was a bad idea. Would have been much better concentrating on Modeler which hasn’t had much of any upgrade for years. I’m finding even after hours of tweaking, my old renderings look better in 2015. If I had a chance to do it over again, I would not have upgraded!

I just tested by copying lw 2015.3 32 bit folder color surfaces presets, to lw 2018 64 bit presets folder, and they show up without me rebooting lightwave, presets are there and they are applyied as usual, now the looks may differ, note...this was just the color presets..metallic and other with textures...don´t know yet, but give it a try.

Edited..tried organic folder, seem to work as well, procedural textures are there, probably the right setting values in the standard material as well...but, since it is a new render engine and new lights, the surfaces may not match exactly the surface looks of previous lightwave 2015.

Markc
04-02-2018, 09:37 AM
Also, if you look in the surfaces panel, top left there is an option to load preset from disk.
Scrub that, it is looking for a .srf file.

Kryslin
04-02-2018, 09:38 AM
What I would try : Make a scene full of cubes that each have 1 preset applied. Import that into 2018, then save the converted presets out. Let Lightwave do all the conversion work.
Keep in mind you may have to tweak your results, because things are handled a bit differently in 2018. Things that rely on Shaders are going to take the longest to do, because shaders no longer exist in LW 18...

Tony3d
04-02-2018, 09:43 AM
Ok, here’s an example. The first image is 2015, the second image is 2018 after a lot of tweaking. Look at the tweeter detail, and reflection blurring. I think there’s No comparison.

UnCommonGrafx
04-02-2018, 06:12 PM
Tony,
Gonna continue from fb on this...

Help me understand our different perceptions.
I don't like the blur in the 2015 because it's not real. In a photo, it would look like what I see in the 2018 image: the items are in the same plane and thus would be of the same blur range.
As well, in the 2018 image, your bump map is, at all, visible in the reflection but nowhere else. Surely that's a waste of render time as it isn't evident in the 2015 image.

The first pic is an obvious example of cg; the second looks like an attempt at a photo. Clients will be the boss, I understand.

What makes the first image better for you? You seem reasonable for such conversation...
Thanks,
Robert

Ma3rk
04-02-2018, 06:55 PM

Ya, Preset Central went away a year or so back.

Can't tell you regarding earlier presets being compatible (I suspect not), but you might want to take a peek at what Oliver Hotz has been doing with his OD Tools:

https://vimeo.com/search?q=OD+Preset

But in particular:

https://vimeo.com/249925854

roboman
04-02-2018, 09:37 PM
Almost no presets I copied over looked even close to what they were and many didn't work. That's why I started down the road of learning nodes and the new texturing stuff, a few weeks ago....

Tony3d
04-03-2018, 12:10 AM
Tony,
Gonna continue from fb on this...

Help me understand our different perceptions.
I don't like the blur in the 2015 because it's not real. In a photo, it would look like what I see in the 2018 image: the items are in the same plane and thus would be of the same blur range.
As well, in the 2018 image, your bump map is, at all, visible in the reflection but nowhere else. Surely that's a waste of render time as it isn't evident in the 2015 image.

The first pic is an obvious example of cg; the second looks like an attempt at a photo. Clients will be the boss, I understand.

What makes the first image better for you? You seem reasonable for such conversation...
Thanks,
Robert

To me the first image reveals a lot more detail! Take a look at the tweeter driver. You can see the mesh in the silk dome much better. I still feel the reflection blurr looks better in the first image. The 2018 has a lot more noise. I also like my images to pop a bit above photoreal. Take this turntable I rendered in 2015. When I get time i’ll Bring into 2018, but I bet it won’t look the same. Even the woofer surround doesn’t look right to me. Look where the suspension meet the cone. Maybe I just need to play around more, but I think their time would have been better spent improving modeler ( hasn’t had an upgrade in years), than completely changing the way people work! Just not thrilled at all, and I’m afraid my clients will have the same thoughts! I really hope things improve, because I could think of a lot of other stuff I could have spent $300.00 on. One more thing, the first image definitely displays a wider dynamic range. Look at the black ring around the woofer. Much more detail in it, and the black surround.

UnCommonGrafx
04-03-2018, 04:17 AM
But Tony, don't forget: things look better in 2015 because you are getting up to speed in 2018.

I think the only argument I would give to why the engine was changed is that that's what research showed was needed. I would have to agree based on all the new PBR stuff that's come on the market.

All of your 2015 images will look 'better' for a time. That won't last if you stay on the learning hill.

As I look at the woofer, it looks like the light has been changed somehow as there isn't the same light gloss; quick to see on the tweeter, upper left side of 2018 image.
As to a richer black, the lighting has changed and that's just one more thing to get to grips with. :) Oh yeah, and make sure you tick the sRGB in the colorspace tab.

Markc
04-03-2018, 11:34 AM
As Robert says, I think if you try a new project from scratch with 2018, and use the new workflow/methods of texturing, it's a bit of a new learning curve.
I recently went through a similar process comparing imported characters from Daz.