PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 3D 2018 and Lightwave 9.6

jaxtone
03-30-2018, 11:21 PM
Though there seems to be a totally new way to work with nodes in Lightwave 3D 2018 and I am about to start with a new customer project with a tight deadline I wonder a few things.

1. Is it possible to install Lightwave 3D 2018 and still have my version of Lightwave 9.6 installed on the same machine?

2. Is really all old textures and UV-maps made in earlier versions of Lightwave useless when NEWTEK introduce Lightwave 3D 2018?

3. How come NEWTEK deleted the Shadow Map option in the lights panel?

Marander
03-31-2018, 12:52 AM
Though there seems to be a totally new way to work with nodes in Lightwave 3D 2018 and I am about to start with a new customer project with a tight deadline I wonder a few things.

1. Is it possible to install Lightwave 3D 2018 and still have my version of Lightwave 9.6 installed on the same machine?

2. Is really all old textures and UV-maps made in earlier versions of Lightwave useless when NEWTEK introduce Lightwave 3D 2018?

I wonder how you can manage a customer project with a tight schedule when you can not even find answers for the most simple questions.

Is LW2018 out yet? Can it be installed the same time etc etc.

Why not trying something out first before asking tons of questions or type a word in google, visit the LW homepage, browse some recent threads?

djwaterman
03-31-2018, 02:16 AM
Any version of LW can be installed while older ones are still on your system, they get installed into new and separate folders in the New Tek folder of your programs directory. I'm sure you'll find the UV maps usable from older objects imported into the latest release, but you'll have to do some conversion work on surface settings and such because of 2018's new rendering engine. Shadow maps are not needed because all lights now deliver soft shadows.

The difference between version 9 and the 2015/18 models is pretty big.

jaxtone
03-31-2018, 03:49 AM
Marander!

I have no use for your answer and wonder why you took some of you precious life time to read at all, by the way, I plan to finalize my customer projects as usual, do you have a problem with that?

If you wanna put your trust in a new software by reading sales arguments at a customers website you are more than welcome, but to be honest it more like buying a pig in a sack and get into real problems without bench mark at a forum where the users are!

Do you want me to start a fight, you are at a totally wrong place in the outer space but I just have to ask this! Do you have some kind of illness or did you just reach out some text to get your 15 minutes of shame?

Please do not write to me in the future!

I wonder how you can manage a customer project with a tight schedule when you can not even find answers for the most simple questions.

Is LW2018 out yet? Can it be installed the same time etc etc.

Why not trying something out first before asking tons of questions or type a word in google, visit the LW homepage, browse some recent threads?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for an answer that guides me in the right direction!

Any version of LW can be installed while older ones are still on your system, they get installed into new and separate folders in the New Tek folder of your programs directory. I'm sure you'll find the UV maps usable
from older objects imported into the latest release, but you'll have to do some conversion work on surface settings and such because of 2018's new rendering engine. Shadow maps are not needed because all lights now deliver soft shadows.

The difference between version 9 and the 2015/18 models is pretty big.

Greenlaw
03-31-2018, 12:05 PM
As mentioned by djwaterman, the differences between 9.6 and 2018 are quite astronomical. IMO, it's definitely worth upgrading to LightWave 2018 if you want to move on to more sophisticated 3D techniques and higher render quality but I don't recommend committing to it for a new paying gig if you've never used 2018. The learning curve will be quite high, and you may have a difficult time staying on schedule.

If I were you, I'd use the tools I know for any current projects, and learn any new tools on the side for personal projects until I was confident I can use them on a commerical job. As a matter of fact, that's l where I am now: even between LightWave 2015 and LightWave 2018, the workflow is completely different, so any 2015 projects I have will continue to be finished in 2015, and I currently have only one personal project being created in 2018 that I'm using to teach myself the new workflow.

Hope this helps.

MonroePoteet
03-31-2018, 03:30 PM

Yes, as mentioned above, unless you over-ride the install directory to be the same place as your LW9.6 (a REALLY bad idea!), then both can coexist
No, you can still open old objects in LW2018 and it will create a Standard Material node network to come close to your old Surfaces. As Greenlaw recommends, it'd be good to learn the new Surfacing methodologies, though.
You can achieve soft shadows in LW2018 by increasing the "Size" of a Spotlight at the bottom of the Light Properties panel

mTp

Greenlaw
03-31-2018, 03:47 PM
Just to add to the above: Trust me, you won't miss the Shadow Map option. I haven't used shadow maps in many years. It hasn't been necessary in recent versions of LightWave, probably since version 10.x.

rsfd
03-31-2018, 03:50 PM
@ jaxtone

I’m sorry, but your answer to Marander is simply out of bounds.
He had an applicable argument. You are flooding this forum with questions that you could easily research on your own.
The simpliest solution would be to just install LW 2018 demo and test everything what is of interest for you.
Most of us do have more important things to do instead of answering questions of somebody who is obviously too lazy to do basic research.

But as I also was unluckily trapped by your thread:
1) yes
2) no
3) LW 2018 has a Physically Based Rendering Engine implemented (as many other 3D-applications did during the last couple of years)

prometheus
03-31-2018, 04:07 PM
No more eggs to crack tonight...

nodes work pretty much the same in many cases, itīs more about the new materials that need to be node edited for adding textures, unless you use the old standard material which is available, that will still have the bump and texture "T" channel and acess to standar layering methods, while the new skin, dielectric,Principled BSDF materials..they can all be controllable directly in the material/surface editor...Except for bump and texture maps, you need to enter node graph editor by itīs button or double click the surface to enter the node editor, then adding texture and feed it in..it is a more tedious way rather than just enter a layer system and add the image texture to the layer panel in my mind, it will be more open and flexible in someways..and in other ways not.

What you also need to be aware of, all the material shaders will be gone, the old volumetric preset light will be gone, viper will be gone, dpont nodes dp kit etc will not work, dpont node textures will not work (only the textures that is accessable through the layer node will work, so you can still use dpont rock, and other dpont textures within that, but not as single node textures, but as layered textures within the layer node..but you will not be able to use other nodes and feed in to any input of dpont node textures)
there are new nodes that kind of replaces many of the dpont nodes, but I suspect it still really misses a lot of them.

Also, extruding animations with weight maps with third party plugins like fertilizer, and dpont growth seem to not work anymore, I am not sure if any other node will make it possible to use the weight map for animated growing stuff?
And turbulenceFD, works to some degree in 2018, it does however require you to use the old legacy volumetrics, so you can not use it in conjunction with the new global volumetric scattering, so if you would want a nuke going off, then have volumetric lights shine behind it..that is a no no I think.

You change the volumetric system from legacy and the new one in the volumetric button and tabs, and accessing hypervoxels also requires adding it through the image processing tab, maybe someone should make a script or something to better and faster invoke it, until new sprites and surface liquids arrives..we still would like to use the hvīs right?

I was under the impression that you Jaxtone was on a newer version than 9.6, but guess I was wrong...what is your experience with VPR? None? and FPrime? those two are probably the Major change that made a huge different in artist tweaking friendlyness.

With fprime and with VPR in 2015...there was a risc of having the preview renderer not showing what the final render would actually render, with 2018 ..there shall not be a difference, what you see in vpr is what you would see in the final renderer, except for if you have set VPR to draft..then you would get a lower quality render than the final renderer, and on thing more..VPR doesnīt render glow, corona, bloom or other post process filters, it renders lensflares though...if you use camera view that is, lensflares will not show up in perspective views.

prometheus
03-31-2018, 04:10 PM
Just to add to the above: Trust me, you won't miss the Shadow Map option. I haven't used shadow maps in many years. It hasn't been necessary in recent versions of LightWave, probably since version 10.x.

I agree, use larger size on the spotlight.

SBowie
03-31-2018, 04:24 PM
I’m sorry, but your answer to Marander is simply out of bounds. That seems to be the trend. Let's try to do this without personal remarks.

Most of us do have more important things to do instead of answering questions of somebody who is obviously too lazy to do basic research.Like this one, for example...

jaxtone
04-01-2018, 12:23 AM
rsfd

Ahead, letīs not spend time on this! I have a lot to do and you have a lot to do and I must say that your personal feelings doesn't make things easier. I would even make room for a personal feeling here and illuminate the negatives of the need to spend time for explanations for a man like you that have a busy schedule just like myself. Since this already have happened and I guess we both are grown ups I recall the old saying "Don't Judge a man Until You Walked a mile In his shoes".

By natural reasons you obviously don't know anything about the last two weeks problems with my account, to log in, follow up or use the forum as it meant to be I guess its my duty to inform about the scam where someone ripped my account, login and possibilities to reset my password. When someone have put in their own e-mail as the recipient instead of yourself its impossible to reset your personal information. My questions that you and your friend Marander interpret as irrelevant had more to do with the fact my hands were tied behind my back and time was running out for the update for a limited price.

Now I did get a lot of help from Deuce to reset my account and I appreciate it, really!

The main thing was to catch up with as much information as possible before the update to Lightwave 3D 2018 for a special limited price still was available. I'm really sorry to have violated you and Marander, but more sorry that time has run out for an update to a great price because of that someone ripped my account and that I had to spend time explaining why I needed answers from you and my other fellow "wavers" instantly. I promise I will definitely use the search engine as usual when time is on my side and things get back to normal.

The "Flooder" :)

@ jaxtone

I’m sorry, but your answer to Marander is simply out of bounds.
He had an applicable argument. You are flooding this forum with questions that you could easily research on your own.
The simpliest solution would be to just install LW 2018 demo and test everything what is of interest for you.
Most of us do have more important things to do instead of answering questions of somebody who is obviously too lazy to do basic research.

But as I also was unluckily trapped by your thread:
1) yes
2) no
3) LW 2018 has a Physically Based Rendering Engine implemented (as many other 3D-applications did during the last couple of years)

jaxtone
04-01-2018, 12:44 AM
About this image I have to ask you a couple of things according to the new engine.

In my Lightwave past I haven't coped with anything but the old light optional stuff, mostly spotlights, point lights etc. The reason for this is to avoid insane render times. Dome lights and the new stuff takes to long time for me to get good results and here are a question about your rendered images of the "green" glass. I wonder about the noise that appears just like in Dome light etc. that takes so many render passes to eliminate and sometimes still are in the end image. (I should find it hard to match an already finalized noise level on a 3D object when adding it to a film sequence. To me its better to adjust the 3D-object's noise level after its been added to the film sequence.)

I know that some people likes to let Lightwave do the whole job and even seen some "wavers" that have created whole film sequences in Lightwave only. Now, thatīs out of business to me and takes to long time, minimize my options to freely chose coloring, tempera and VFX during a whole film process. I prefer to render passes in Lightwave and add or refine the details afterwards in post production process.

Therefore I wonder if there is still options in Lightwave 3D 2018 to make clean high resolution renders in no time at all that I can adjust in post?

About the "shadow map" I didn't use it for 10 years either but as a result of sitting between to mountain tops there were no other options. The native spotlight was to sharp and the domes and stuff to grainy if you didn't have all time in the world for each rendered image. I had to find alternatives and believe it or not succeeded but have in mind that the "shadow map" was only used with a lot of blur in its native settings before it was edited in post. This way to work was quicker than the alternatives and delivered a result the customer was pleased with.

Yes, as mentioned above, unless you over-ride the install directory to be the same place as your LW9.6 (a REALLY bad idea!), then both can coexist
No, you can still open old objects in LW2018 and it will create a Standard Material node network to come close to your old Surfaces. As Greenlaw recommends, it'd be good to learn the new Surfacing methodologies, though.
You can achieve soft shadows in LW2018 by increasing the "Size" of a Spotlight at the bottom of the Light Properties panel

mTp

jaxtone
04-01-2018, 03:14 AM
I just updated to 2018... and thatīs mostly because some of you informed me of that it was possible to run both 9.6 and 2018 on the same machine. I will definitely take my time learning the node system but keep the old version for critical customer projects to not risk tight deadlines and customer relations.

Thanks!

rsfd
04-01-2018, 11:34 AM
@ SBowie

You are right.
Should have left this thread silently after #1.
But felt as #2.
And then unfortunately continued up to #4 (which was the last entry at this time).
Won’t repeat such an action.

@ jaxtone

My apologies.
(I’ve come across some of your latest threads and this one here -and your answer to Marander (which I do not know at all btw) obviously got me on the wrong foot).
All the best,
Roger

Marander
04-01-2018, 01:00 PM
Hey Roger thanks and jaxtone no hard feelings from my side, sorry for my rant.

I was caught on the wrong foot maybe because I answered the very same question in another thread just a day or two before in this forum (install LW separately, even with silent install parameters, by the way all things that can be figured out within 5min).

It's just I'm the type that always tries to figure out things long before asking. Because if you try something yourself (for example a 3d project and see how far you can go without following any tutorial, and therefore being forced to do a lot problem solving) you learn the most, at least that's the case for me.

Cheers, Marander

Tim Parsons
04-01-2018, 03:20 PM
I'm glad to see everyone hugged it out. :)

jaxtone
04-01-2018, 08:53 PM
Hi Roger!

No problem at all to understand that misunderstandings appears from time to time and again, excuse me for my own behavior which was all related to stress. Letīs put all that behind us and keep waving to a hopefully bright future where we all treat each others as good friends at the forum!

Jack

My apologies.
(I’ve come across some of your latest threads and this one here -and your answer to Marander (which I do not know at all btw) obviously got me on the wrong foot).
All the best,
Roger

rsfd
04-04-2018, 12:08 AM
Marander, jaxtone

glad to see we're d'accord now :)

let's continue with our work, we will meet again, surely on our "right" feet!

cheers, Roger

jaxtone
04-04-2018, 01:16 AM
Marander!

Absolutely. I just started to do some basic tutorials covering the world of Nodes and I guess I will get lot of fun and migraine on the way to whatever waits around the corner...

Since I never updated from 9.6 to 2015 I guess there has been improvements even there!

Jack

Snosrap
04-04-2018, 08:44 PM
Since I never updated from 9.6 to 2015 I guess there has been improvements even there!

It'a like whole new software for you!

jaxtone
04-05-2018, 09:41 PM
Makes me glad to hear! I have to check up whats new in the 2015/2018 then!

It'a like whole new software for you!

Ztreem
04-05-2018, 11:33 PM
Makes me glad to hear! I have to check up whats new in the 2015/2018 then!

And lw 10 + lw 11.

jaxtone
05-13-2018, 12:02 PM
I am definitely a citizen in Jurassic Park :)

- - - Updated - - -

Well I stated it earlier, I wrote the wrong version in the start of the thread though I have been running 11.6 for some years now!

And lw 10 + lw 11.