PDA

View Full Version : Modeler 2018.0.3: Band Glue

Chrusion
03-30-2018, 08:31 AM
Band Glue operates a bit different now in 2018.0.3 (don't know about previous 2018 versions), but it is EXTREMELY SLOW now. :-( What used to take a second or less in 2015 and earlier, now takes nearly 60 times longer to complete... locking Modeler up at 13% CPU usage, with no progress indicator.

The difference in how it works now is that selecting multiple bands is supported. (Yay!) In 2015 and earlier, selecting pairs of polys in a "stack of independent rings" only glued the band of one ring at a time. Now it glues each band selected in each "ring." However, with 4 "rings" of 120 segments each selected, it takes 2 - 3 minutes to complete (that's 2 poly pairs per ring selected, then activating the plugin).

Another difference is it now selects the shared edge between poly pairs, which is a neat visual indicator of the direction and path if finds that the band of polys takes.

erikals
03-30-2018, 10:06 AM
hi, sounds like a bug-report...

https://i.imgur.com/5jEi2Ve.png

Titon
03-30-2018, 05:20 PM
Went entirely to using the 3rd powers plugins since 2018 has screwed up modeler significantly. Most of the base that i liked about lightwave is taking a serious hit with there disregard for the modeling side of lightwave.

Bandglue, bandsaw along with the mirror tool is unfunctional in lightwave. The mirror function leaves flipped polys along with missing polys...black holes. What an f'd up mess.

Seriously Newtek instead of making everything supposedly "pretty" at least try and fix the mess you created with modeler? And yes i have subumitted bug reports.....bugs bugs bugs....

jboudreau
03-30-2018, 09:05 PM
Band Glue operates a bit different now in 2018.0.3 (don't know about previous 2018 versions), but it is EXTREMELY SLOW now. :-( What used to take a second or less in 2015 and earlier, now takes nearly 60 times longer to complete... locking Modeler up at 13% CPU usage, with no progress indicator.

The difference in how it works now is that selecting multiple bands is supported. (Yay!) In 2015 and earlier, selecting pairs of polys in a "stack of independent rings" only glued the band of one ring at a time. Now it glues each band selected in each "ring." However, with 4 "rings" of 120 segments each selected, it takes 2 - 3 minutes to complete (that's 2 poly pairs per ring selected, then activating the plugin).

Another difference is it now selects the shared edge between poly pairs, which is a neat visual indicator of the direction and path if finds that the band of polys takes.

Can you show us a picture of how you are selecting the polygons. I tried what you said in versions 2018.0 to 2018.0.3 and it worked within a couple of seconds.

Thanks,
Jason

Titon
06-06-2018, 04:54 AM
2018.0.4 still unfunctional bandglue plugin. Has anyone looked into why this take 10 minutes to complete a task?

Tobian
06-06-2018, 05:32 AM
I haven't checked this, as i didn't really use it much, but I suspect what's happened here is that it's been replaced by James' edge pack code, which allowed multiselect (it always did btw), which is near instant on basic models, but slows down if there's a tonne of other geo in other layers, which a number of plugins suffer from.

Not a replacement, but a tip, if you use edit edges instead https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Edit+Edges - and shift click the edges to delete the loops, it's near instant. The downside is it can take a while to transition to the new geo engine (which all the tools introduced in LW 11.5 did). It remains to be seen if they do replace the geo core so all the tools can go this fast, but that's far afield. :)

lardbros
06-06-2018, 06:53 AM
If it's not been reported, with content that shows the issue, then it won't get fixed :(
Please can you take 5 minutes to report it if you haven't already!?

RPSchmidt
06-06-2018, 07:39 AM
Went entirely to using the 3rd powers plugins since 2018 has screwed up modeler significantly. Most of the base that i liked about lightwave is taking a serious hit with there disregard for the modeling side of lightwave.

Bandglue, bandsaw along with the mirror tool is unfunctional in lightwave. The mirror function leaves flipped polys along with missing polys...black holes. What an f'd up mess.

Seriously Newtek instead of making everything supposedly "pretty" at least try and fix the mess you created with modeler? And yes i have subumitted bug reports.....bugs bugs bugs....

I use bandsaw pro every single day...probably anywhere between fifty and two hundred times a day, depending on how much time I spend modeling. What is happening with bandsaw that makes you say it isn't working properly?

I also have had zero issues with mirror, although I use it far less than bandsaw.

I would like to see examples of the issues that you are running into with those tools.

Matt
06-06-2018, 10:28 AM
Band Glue operates a bit different now in 2018.0.3 (don't know about previous 2018 versions), but it is EXTREMELY SLOW now

Just tried it here, it's the same speed in 2018 on the object I tried, but maybe my object isn't large enough. Do you have the model you're using for us to try or give us some indication of how dense it is?

Tim Parsons
06-06-2018, 12:05 PM
2018.0.4 still unfunctional bandglue plugin. Has anyone looked into why this take 10 minutes to complete a task?

Just select the edge loops you want removed and press delete. I haven't used bandglue in 5 years or so.

Ma3rk
06-06-2018, 01:38 PM
Just select the edge loops you want removed and press delete. I haven't used bandglue in 5 years or so.

A much more elegant solution. Just tried that on a simple sphere with two edge loops selected & delete worked as expected. Tried with Bandglue and no object left at all. Can't really get it to work at all actually in 2018.4. Oddly, even from poly mode & poly's selected, it displays edge selections (lime green) just before object vanishes if that's some sort of clue. So, ya, something is goobered with BandGlue.

Have you done the reporting honors Chrusion?

BandSaw Pro appears to be working as expected though, but just being a reciprical of a tool probably means nothing in scripting world.

Tim Parsons
06-06-2018, 01:47 PM
A much more elegant solution. Just tried that on a simple sphere with two edge loops selected & delete worked as expected.

Also new to 2018 is that when you delete a loop that terminates on an open edge - it will now delete that leftover point. This is great when working on subD objects where it used to leave a nasty n-gon that wouldn't subdivide. Good job with this NT!

gerry_g
06-06-2018, 02:50 PM
About a year ago there was whole thread on this, 'Delete' is best but only if your deletion is very minor, anything large and it bogs down taking an age to complete, 'Detail'<'Edit Edges' is way way faster on big objects, shift and click on an edge, try it

Titon
06-06-2018, 05:57 PM
About a year ago there was whole thread on this, 'Delete' is best but only if your deletion is very minor, anything large and it bogs down taking an age to complete, 'Detail'<'Edit Edges' is way way faster on big objects, shift and click on an edge, try it

Edit edges works well but when you have a mass of poly's to elimanate it still takes for ever using this process. Just wish that they would fix the problems with modeler to begin with. With each version upgrade it gets worse and worse.

Frustrating beyond belief!

pixym
06-06-2018, 10:06 PM
I have noticed this issue since the first 2018 release…

lardbros
06-08-2018, 12:33 AM

But you didn't report it? :)

Ma3rk
10-28-2018, 09:44 AM
Any word on this getting fixed?

Sensei
10-28-2018, 10:55 AM
SwiftEdgeLoop is available since 2007, has options to make new edge loop, slide existing edge loop, and dissolve existing edge loops (just click on on edge loop mouse pointer and press RMB + ctrl key), and is FAST..
http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/SwiftEdgeLoop

Ma3rk
10-28-2018, 01:47 PM
Just tried Band Glue again and it's working fine. I'm going to explore but wondering if I have another menu entry to an older version. This one looked different somehow.

Even so, I might consider some new tools in the arsenal.

jboudreau
11-13-2018, 01:17 PM
Just tried it here, it's the same speed in 2018 on the object I tried, but maybe my object isn't large enough. Do you have the model you're using for us to try or give us some indication of how dense it is?

It's the same speed because you are probably using it on just 1 layer of a clean object with nothing else open.

I figured out what the problem is and how to replicate it. The issue is the band glue slows down if there's a bunch of other geometry in other layers and other objects.

To replicate close all your objects and just take a simple object and put it into layer one and do a band glue on it. It will be instant. Now take a high polygon object say 100,000 polygons and paste it into layer two. Now go back to layer 1 and do that same band glue on the simple object. It will take a lot longer now to complete. The more geometry that gets loaded into layers the slower the band glue will be.

The code needs to be updated because it should not even be looking at the other geometry in the other layers or the other opened objects unless those layers are selected

Please fix this

Thanks,
Jason

Ma3rk
11-13-2018, 10:28 PM
Wow. Good find.

Now hopefully some of the programers still read this forum.

lardbros
11-14-2018, 06:14 AM
It's the same speed because you are probably using it on just 1 layer of a clean object with nothing else open.

I figured out what the problem is and how to replicate it. The issue is the band glue slows down if there's a bunch of other geometry in other layers and other objects.

To replicate close all your objects and just take a simple object and put it into layer one and do a band glue on it. It will be instant. Now take a high polygon object say 100,000 polygons and paste it into layer two. Now go back to layer 1 and do that same band glue on the simple object. It will take a lot longer now to complete. The more geometry that gets loaded into layers the slower the band glue will be.

The code needs to be updated because it should not even be looking at the other geometry in the other layers or the other opened objects unless those layers are selected

Please fix this

Thanks,
Jason

Unfortunately I think Modeller generally slows down to a crawl when there are high-poly background objects, or even objects in other layers. I agree, it shouldn't... but I think most tools slow down due to this. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed soon.

Chuck
11-14-2018, 08:20 AM

Please fix this

Thanks,
Jason

Thank you for the research and the summary! If you have not already done so, please use the menu option in LightWave to create a bug report.

Chuck
11-14-2018, 08:23 AM
Wow. Good find.

Now hopefully some of the programers still read this forum.

Some of them do, but they don't take their work assignments from forum comments, they work to bug report cases in our bug database.

Kryslin
11-14-2018, 10:18 AM
I've noticed something odd about native band glue in 2018.0.7...

1) Create a box, with 6 Y segments.
2) Select the center 4 polygons on one side with segments..
3) Use Native Band Glue.
4) Instead of the expected result of the center 4 bands being glued (2015, 3rdPowers BandGlue), all bands are glued.

If this can be verified by a couple of others, I'll file a bug report on it.

jboudreau
11-16-2018, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately I think Modeller generally slows down to a crawl when there are high-poly background objects, or even objects in other layers. I agree, it shouldn't... but I think most tools slow down due to this. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed soon.

Yes it does, I've been doing extensive testing on this matter. I will be uploading some videos of my findings soon.

Thank you for the research and the summary! If you have not already done so, please use the menu option in LightWave to create a bug report.

Yes this has been bug reported. At first they thought it was due to the newly added symmetry for some of the tools but that is not the case. This slow down issue that I found is as far back as Lightwave 11 and possibly further way before they ever added symmetry to some of the tools in LW2018.
For some reason the code is looking at geometry that is in other layers that are not even selected and other objects for that matter which brings modeler's performance to it's knees. This makes no sense since the code should only be focusing on the selected layers you are working on and nothing else.

This doesn't just cause slow down on many of the tools but also lag on switching between layers.

I also can replicate it and have given the development team the steps to do so along with the lightwave object.

Thanks,
Jason

jboudreau
11-16-2018, 11:26 AM
I've noticed something odd about native band glue in 2018.0.7...

1) Create a box, with 6 Y segments.
2) Select the center 4 polygons on one side with segments..
3) Use Native Band Glue.
4) Instead of the expected result of the center 4 bands being glued (2015, 3rdPowers BandGlue), all bands are glued.

If this can be verified by a couple of others, I'll file a bug report on it.

Hi,

Just tested here in LW2015 - LW2018 and it works fine, Only the 4 polygons in the center got glued leaving the other 2 segments.

Thanks,
Jason

jboudreau
11-16-2018, 11:31 AM

This is not just a LW2018 Issue. It goes way further back than that. From my tests it goes back as far as Lightwave 11 and possibly further

Thanks,
Jason

jwiede
11-16-2018, 12:51 PM
This is not just a LW2018 Issue. It goes way further back than that. From my tests it goes back as far as Lightwave 11 and possibly further

I suspect it goes back to LW9 (when the edge code was added). I've got pre-11 versions here I can check, what's the fastest test for the specific issue?

Kryslin
11-16-2018, 01:32 PM
Hi,

Just tested here in LW2015 - LW2018 and it works fine, Only the 4 polygons in the center got glued leaving the other 2 segments.

Thanks,
Jason

<snip redundant info>
Ok, the problem is if you have an edge selection present on the same mesh, Band glue acts like dissolve edge, even though you're working with polygons. Have an edge selection present on said box, along with the polygon selection and see what happens. Time to hit the docs and see if this is normal behavior or not.