PDA

View Full Version : Performing point release updates

Ma3rk
03-30-2018, 08:29 AM
I finally pulled the trigger Monday & got 2018.2 and just yesterday (Thursday) 2018.3 was released. I looked in the Documentation Wiki and couldn't find anything regarding the best way to deal with installing point releases as in: should a completely fresh install be done or is installing over the current install OK?

I went with the fresh route this time as I haven't had time yet to customize much, but can see where that's going to be quite a pain later on.

Perhaps this should have a mention in the on-line docs near the top so that there's an Official recommended procedure.

Marander
03-30-2018, 08:58 AM
I finally pulled the trigger Monday & got 2018.2 and just yesterday (Thursday) 2018.3 was released. I looked in the Documentation Wiki and couldn't find anything regarding the best way to deal with installing point releases as in: should a completely fresh install be done or is installing over the current install OK?

I went with the fresh route this time as I haven't had time yet to customize much, but can see where that's going to be quite a pain later on.

Perhaps this should have a mention in the on-line docs near the top so that there's an Official recommended procedure.

1) It's not feature releases that .2 or .3 would be, it's maintenance / stability releases .0.2 / .0.3 (2018.0.3)
2) LW is always a full install in a separate directory. Install fresh and move over your plugins, import your menus etc.

Ma3rk
03-30-2018, 12:42 PM
1) It's not feature releases that .2 or .3 would be, it's maintenance / stability releases .0.2 / .0.3 (2018.0.3)
2) LW is always a full install in a separate directory. Install fresh and move over your plugins, import your menus etc.

Hmm, I'd have to question the term "maintenance" though. If I change my car's sparkplug's, that's maintenance. I don't create a whole new, separate car.

As far as point 2), why doesn't some clever person create a script or other tool that can migrate those things? Perhaps that's feature request if no one's suggested that yet.

In any case, thanks for confirming that it should be a fresh & separate install.

lertola2
04-04-2018, 07:07 PM
What I do is I keep all added 3rd party plugins in a folder outside the lightwave directory. I also keep my custom keyboard and menu configs in a dropbox folder. That way with each new version I just have to scan the added plugins directory and load the keyboard and menu configs and I am good. Dropbox lets me keep my home and office versions in sync.

Ma3rk
04-04-2018, 08:17 PM
What I do is I keep all added 3rd party plugins in a folder outside the lightwave directory. I also keep my custom keyboard and menu configs in a dropbox folder. That way with each new version I just have to scan the added plugins directory and load the keyboard and menu configs and I am good. Dropbox lets me keep my home and office versions in sync.

But basically, you're still manually having to update menus, keys, plug-ins, & registering as needed, correct? That's essentially what I'm doing except for dropboxing. I just maintain a local folder; I've only the one install. Just annoying. I attend the LALWUG meetings & several of the coders attend. Think I'll put a bug in one of their ears to develop a migration utility.

Up until this install though, I put my configs under the Bin folder & added the custom attributes in the desktop icon to point accordingly to the Target but I don't have multiple systems anymore to do net rendering, so no longer need to do that. I bit the bullet this time & let the intall put all of that on the C:\Users folder. That rankles me as EVERY app wants to put things on C:, but it certainly simplified installing things like LWCad. Unfortunately certain presets need to be there as well. Normally not an issue I suppose, but picked up OD Tools & Oliver kindly included several Gb's of ies files. Good thing drive prices keep dropping.

oliverhotz
04-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Dont forget about OD_Config for the easy transfer of the configs between versions... (exists for both modeler and layout)

Ma3rk
04-04-2018, 10:40 PM
Dont forget about OD_Config for the easy transfer of the configs between versions... (exists for both modeler and layout)

Forget? Didn't even know it was there. You should probably publicize that a bit.

Thanks Oliver.

oliverhotz
04-04-2018, 10:46 PM
I'll make a video for it tomorrow..

Marander
04-05-2018, 12:47 AM
But basically, you're still manually having to update menus, keys, plug-ins, & registering as needed, correct?

Yeah it's unfortunate that there is no option for incremental / in-place update, it would make the upgrade much faster.

What I do

1) having plugins in a separate 3rdparty folder
2) in the Menu Editor (with all plugins loaded in the old installation), I select Save to save the whole menu structure, once in Modeler and once in Layout. Whenever I change menus I update these configuration files in a central place.
3) install if the new version
4) start the new Modeler and Layout once and close it
5) open the .NewTek folder in Users directory and copy over the missing files (like LWK files and config files for plugins (but I don't overwrite any configuration files)
6) start the new applications again
7) Edit Plugins - scan the whole plugins and 3rdparty folder
8) close and open the new applications again
9) Edit Menus - Load (load the previously saved menu structure)
10) close and open again, test the plugins (like LWCAD and 3rdPowers, ODTools and ODPie)
11) for some plugins (like for ODPie icons) I might need to update some paths in the config files (search and replace in Notepad++)
12) uninstall the old version

For other machines I only install and then copy over the whole content of the .NewTek folder.

As I mentioned in another thread, if you need to do this often or for many seats, this can be automated and scripted easily as the LW setup contains various parameters for a silent / unattended setup. But a general script might be problematic because not every user performs installations the same way.

NewTek should really work on a update installer for future like most appllications offer, it makes everything much easier. However the timely release of fixes is more important to me.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I also copy over the .WTools folder (same place as .NewTek) for installations on other machines for LWCAD. Oh and I usually don't customize shortcuts except one key for ODPie which I configure manually).