PDA

View Full Version : Dielectric

Obi
03-28-2018, 10:09 PM
I open a thread; I am disappointed by the 'node' Dielectric seemingly impossible to add another node .. not terrible
Is there really a difference with the traditional functions?

Have a good day.

prometheus
03-29-2018, 06:59 AM
I open a thread; I am disappointed by the 'node' Dielectric seemingly impossible to add another node .. not terrible
Is there really a difference with the traditional functions?

Have a good day.

what versionm of lightwave?
and what do you mean by impossible to add another node? itīs not.
You have several input slots in the dielectric material for nodes.
And what do you mean by traditional functions?

Obi
03-29-2018, 08:18 AM
Hello prometheus

for the 'nodes' I'm wrong! I finished too late last night :o, right now I'm testing light sources in a dielectric material

'traditional functions'=>'matérial standart'

MonroePoteet
03-29-2018, 08:39 AM
As prometheus says, you can use the Inputs to the Dielectric node to change its behavior:

140926 Dielectric node only
140927 Dielectric with Green 2D Grid input color

As well, you can use Material Mixer to mix two different materials according to an Alpha input. Attached is a sample scene file which uses the Object Spot into a Scalar Layer Gradient to clip below the top edge of the Goblet. Using this as the Alpha input to Material Mixer, it adds a Gold Conductor material band to the top of the Goblet.

RE: Other types of Materials besides Standard, the Blender video posted here gives some good rationale and explanation for why the Principled BSDF material may be valuable:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?156573-Show-me-that-Lightwave-2018-s-new-render-engine-is-a-worthy-successor-to-2015&p=1541666&viewfull=1#post1541666

and I've found the other types of Materials give good shortcuts for producing good looking, versatile "base materials" quite quickly.

mTp

prometheus
03-29-2018, 12:00 PM
What you should know about Lightwave 2018,..itīs that vpr will showcase exactly the same as final render ( except for some post processing filters which it canīt handle)
So dielectic will in VPR look the same as final render, unlike what you could end up with in the old renderer.

Entering nodes is done either by clicking the node graph editor, or double click on the dielectric material.