PDA

View Full Version : 2018 upgrade

Tony3d
03-28-2018, 05:57 PM
If I upgrade to 2018, Iíll get 2018 for both Mac , and Windows 10 correct?

Chris S. (Fez)
03-28-2018, 06:02 PM
Yup.

JamesCurtis
03-29-2018, 10:21 AM
But it'll be only one license, which can be applied to a machine of both OS's. You can only work on one machine at the same time in Layout or Modeler. Of course, you can render on many macines using Screamernet or its equivalent.

Tony3d
03-29-2018, 03:12 PM
I wish they would do more to modeler! Have they fixed the hub issues on the Mac? Are there any new modeling tools or plugins?

Tony3d
03-29-2018, 03:15 PM
If I do upgrade tomorrow, what do I have to do to get up and running again with the lisence?

raymondtrace
03-29-2018, 03:43 PM
There's nothing special to get up and running. The license appears on your account page on lightwave3d.com, instantly after purchase.

EDIT: and to your earlier question, why wouldn't you test the trial?

Tony3d
03-29-2018, 04:57 PM
Then just drop it into the about pages in modeler, and Layout correct?

- - - Updated - - -

Have they fixed the hub issues on the Mac? Any new modeler features?

LouO311
03-29-2018, 07:50 PM
Download the trial. I did last week and redid a scene I made in 2015 and it's much, much better. The renderer is outstanding! The lights, surfacing is really great. Yes, there is some relearning but not much. I really like the direction this program is going. Going to upgrade tonight or tomorrow.

Tony3d
03-29-2018, 07:55 PM
I thought scene files from 2015 were incompatible? How much of a learning curve is it? Any new modeling tools?

LouO311
03-29-2018, 08:35 PM
The scenes are compatible to an extent but I just redid it. Brought in the object and used the new lights, the Hypervoxel replacement, etc. The learning curve isn't much. I learned the Hypervoxel replacement and other new features within a few days and that was on my spare time. Modeller has some new tools but nothing major. Newtek is going to tackle the Modeler overhaul next. What was added to Modeler: https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/New+to+2018#Newto2018-Modeler

Tony3d
03-29-2018, 09:48 PM
So your telling me that I can’t load my old scene files without rebuilding them? That would be a non starter for me. Most of my scene files are pretty complex, and would be difficult to just rebuild. I’m going to have to download the demo tomorrow, then decide just which way to go. Thanks for the input though.

Tim Parsons
03-29-2018, 10:10 PM
So your telling me that I canít load my old scene files without rebuilding them? That would be a non starter for me. Most of my scene files are pretty complex, and would be difficult to just rebuild. Iím going to have to download the demo tomorrow, then decide just which way to go. Thanks for the input though.

They load just fine Tony. You'll get some requests for plugins that you should just skip, but I have not run into one scene that wouldn't load and render. Keep in mind that there are many Layout plugins that no longer work (DP stuff mostly) but a lot of them are no longer needed. Of course none of the shading plugins you may have are needed. All the Modeler plugins work - at least they have for me and I use tonnes of them. :) Upon loading of existing scenes you can turn on VPR and it will render - BUT - It may not look so great. That's because a conversion took place of all the shading - in some cases it looks just fine, sometimes not. But it's real easy to convert every surface to a Principled shader, just shift click all your surfaces and then right click and select Convert Layered to Principled Nodes.

Tony3d
03-29-2018, 10:38 PM
Ok, that sounds much better. I will have a look tomorrow. Does the sale run through the 31st, or does it end midnight on the 30th? One thing that worries me is my clients are very picky when it comes to color, and the overall render style of a scene. I wonder how much difficulty I’ll have loading an old scene to modify in some way, and matching the look of the original scene?

jeric_synergy
03-30-2018, 12:00 AM
Also, it's not like your 2015.3 version disappears. If you MUST match exactly, just fire up the old version.

Tony3d
03-30-2018, 12:03 AM
I’m wondering how much longer it will run before Mac OS updates take their toll.

hrgiger
03-30-2018, 12:46 AM
They havent done much to modeling as always.

50one
03-30-2018, 01:46 AM
They havent done much to modeling as always.

I was watching closely everything from beginning and won't update this time for the very first time in x years... too little substance for me. New renderer is great but dead slow even with simple scenes.

Quite possibly will sell my 2015 license soon.

kopperdrake
03-30-2018, 01:58 AM
One thing that worries me is my clients are very picky when it comes to color, and the overall render style of a scene. I wonder how much difficulty Iíll have loading an old scene to modify in some way, and matching the look of the original scene?

There's bound to be a difference, it's a new rendering engine using completely new principles. I have exactly the same problem, I produce component renders for several large companies and they have to all look as though they were done on the same day else they'll look out of place in marketing material. I've gone through the same learning curve with Octane render, and the same dilemna - do I redo everything with the new Octane engine, which they won't pay for, or just the new stuff, and risk it looking a little different.

My solution was to use the old LightWave renderer for mission critical stuff, even though it wasn't as good, but for 'special' jobs (pretty marketing images using the client's components, but in a more artistic way) I used Octane and began teaching myself how it worked in those - with, to my eye, much more attractive results.

I would suggest the same route for yourself - for mission critical work, keep using the old renderer in the old version of LightWave, but where you can get away with it, use the new version. I'm looking into it myself soon (I've bought it but no time to look at it yet), and I suspect I'll use it the same way I use Octane, only for larger projects where either complexity and/or animation means a render network will be beneficial :thumbsup:

Tony3d
03-30-2018, 04:21 AM
Thatís what I was already thinking about doing. Thanks for affirming it for me. I donít know though with all this talk of slow rendering, and bugs, I may just skip this upgrade. Perhaps had modeler had more going for it, it may have been worth it. Shame really after all this time waiting for a substantial upgrade!

Chris S. (Fez)
03-30-2018, 07:50 AM
Rendering and surfacing is great and as fast as Arnold. Just a bit of learning curve. Layout performance is also improved. NewTek just released the 3rd stability patch yesterday.

If you like using Lightwave and make money with Lightwave then $295 is a steal.

Chris S. (Fez)
03-30-2018, 07:54 AM
Plus, if you want to significantly speed up your toolset and workflow for lw2018 then get the new ODtools. Hundreds of incredibly useful tools born from production.

wesleycorgi
03-30-2018, 08:03 AM
New renderer is great but dead slow even with simple scenes.

I think it is a bit unfair that this sentiment keeps getting perpetuated. Yes, it is a steep learning curve. But since I updated a few weeks ago, I've committed to not turning back to previous versions as a crutch.

I find the new renderer quicker. As an example, yesterday I was asked for a higher res render of an archviz scene (going from 720p res to 4K). In previous versions, the time to output of the "upres'ed" image would have been linear. In 2018, I found that this time was cut significantly.

MonroePoteet
03-30-2018, 08:10 AM
I was watching closely everything from beginning and won't update this time for the very first time in x years... too little substance for me. New renderer is great but dead slow even with simple scenes.

Quite possibly will sell my 2015 license soon.

In LW2018, Global Illumination is on by default, but Interpolated of OFF by default (which was a poor default decision, IMO). You might try turning on Interpolated GI, or turn it off in LW2015 to compare render times.

mTp

Tony3d
03-30-2018, 08:31 AM
Ok, I’m going to download the free trial, and give it a spin. I have upgraded Lightwave ever since version 5 appeared on the Mac! When are they ever going to commit serious time to Modeler? It just burns me up that simple things like creating a spring has to be such a chore in Lightwave. Now they bought that hardware plugin that makes screws from the guy who developed it, but never did a thing about getting rid of the bugs. They just threw it in the mix! I’ll have a look, but really not happy.

Chris S. (Fez)
03-30-2018, 08:34 AM
Did you fill out the recent Modeler survey? They are ramping up Modeler development now.

Chris S. (Fez)
03-30-2018, 08:37 AM
Also, if you find a bug, submit it with content and they will likely fix it. Dead easy to submit bug reports and feature requests these days. Right in the 2018 interface.

Tony3d
03-30-2018, 08:41 AM
From within the interface! Well sounds positive. Does this $295.00 go through tomorrow, or does it end tonight at midnight?

Tony3d
03-30-2018, 08:49 AM
What are these ODTOOLS for Lightwave all about? Never mind nothing for modeler.

Chris S. (Fez)
03-30-2018, 08:51 AM
I would imagine it goes through tomorrow at midnight.

Chris S. (Fez)
03-30-2018, 08:55 AM
Tool descriptions here. He added 3 more tools yesterday and adds more practically every week. They have changed my Lightwave life in terms of productivity: http://www.origamidigital.com/odtoolsOrder.html

Qexit
03-30-2018, 08:59 AM
What are these ODTOOLS for Lightwave all about? Never mind nothing for modeler.They are a commercial set of plug-ins available from Origami Digital. This link takes you to the order page. At the bottom, you can scroll through the very long list of tools included:

http://www.origamidigital.com/odtoolsOrder.html

Or, you can look at these videos demonstrating some (most ? I've never run through all of them) of the tools and what they do:

https://vimeo.com/album/4335852

You get frequent, regular updates with bug fixes and new tools.

Chris S. (Fez)
03-30-2018, 10:02 AM
What are these ODTOOLS for Lightwave all about? Never mind nothing for modeler.

There are many extremely useful tools for Modeler in the OD Toolset.

Tony3d
03-30-2018, 10:19 AM
Let me ask you, what happens to the standard T shaders from 2015 when a scene file is opened in 2018? Suppose it gets all screwed up.

gerry_g
03-30-2018, 11:25 AM
the Standard material has the T buttons and is a match for the old LW 2015, the Principled BSDF does not and works through the node editor, well actually both do if you want, you can use either material type for texturing, if you bring in an old scene file it will convert it for you automatically

Tony3d
03-30-2018, 01:15 PM
Ok, just bought 2018. I always take my preset folder and copy it to the new version so it shows up in my workspace shelf. Will this still work in 2018? The new quickbolt plugin is nice, just needs a preview.going to try and load some of my clients scene files, and see what happens.

rustythe1
03-30-2018, 01:59 PM
No, as the new surfaces (even though standard works through import) are not compatible, things like blurry reflections and shader tabs are missing, its just the basic tab that is compatible, even the node based part is different, but it is fairly painless to add surfaces as you now have a drop down in the surface editor where you can save them, and if you get od tools he has just added a preset shelf for nodes

Tony3d
03-30-2018, 02:44 PM
Ok. Thanks everyone. Going to have to play with this a while to see what’s going on.

Greenlaw
03-30-2018, 02:58 PM
So your telling me that I can’t load my old scene files without rebuilding them? That would be a non starter for me. Most of my scene files are pretty complex, and would be difficult to just rebuild. I’m going to have to download the demo tomorrow, then decide just which way to go. Thanks for the input though.

I suggest creating only new projects in 2018. I'm still working on a couple of projects that I started in 2015 in 2015 because it's way too much trouble to re-create my scenes in 2018.

I do have one new project I'm creating in 2018 to help me learn the new workflow. So far I'm really liking 2018. I feel like I've had to re-learn LightWave but it's worth it: the quality of the renders is amazing.

That said, I wouldn't trust myself to commit to a paying job with it yet, but that's just me. Maybe after I finish my new personal project I'll be ready.

Tony3d
03-30-2018, 03:10 PM
My surface preview button is always grayed out! Any suggestions? On a Mac.

Chris S. (Fez)
03-30-2018, 03:44 PM
Preview works fine here on Windows

Tony3d
03-30-2018, 03:48 PM
Works fine in layout, but greyed out in modeler!

pming
03-30-2018, 07:27 PM
Hiya!

Well, looks like I upgraded to 2018 in some drug-induced euphoric fountain of optimistic bed-made-of-kittens mind-blank. o_O

Why? ... I have no f'ing idea. Really. I guess the optimist in me really comes out when I'm having a bad day and take too many T3's with Crystal Skull Vodka chasers. Good for Newtek, so there's that. ;)

Honestly though, I've been using LW off and on since I grabbed it back in v8. Not my go-to package (was XSI, now it's sort of Modo), but I definitely have a sort of "soft spot" for LW. At any rate, does anyone have a list of must-have plugins that work with LW-2018? I know about LWCAD, and I've resisted buying it forever...maybe now's the time. Anyway...yeah...

*shrug* It's only money, right? ;) And besides...watching LW render using all 88 threads is kinda nice! :D

Tony3d
03-30-2018, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the laugh! Found out the preview is greyed our in modeler because it requires VPR TO WORK. Only works in layout. Guess you get no preview in modeler now.

DogBoy
03-31-2018, 08:14 AM
My surface preview button is always grayed out! Any suggestions? On a Mac.

It only works in Layout (just in case you are in Modeler).
*Edit* Sorry, I replied before reading further and seeing you'd found that out.

view3d
03-31-2018, 09:10 AM
Hi all been away for a while. Now that the upgrade is out .... the biggest question , is Newtek being responsive to feedback or have they gone back to being in silent mode again?

Chris S. (Fez)
03-31-2018, 09:45 AM
3rd stability release in 3 months.

Yes, they are more responsive.

It's a fine release for CPU rendering and as long as the Octane plug is updated, I don't see a problem. Folks with small farms get Arnoldesque rendering for a fraction of the cost. I mean a fraction of a fraction of the cost. Even if GPU is the future it means those hooks and standard pbr workflows are already in Lightwave.

Modeler is a bit rough around the edges. Keep submitting bug reports.

jwiede
03-31-2018, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the laugh! Found out the preview is greyed our in modeler because it requires VPR TO WORK. Only works in layout. Guess you get no preview in modeler now.

Yes, and everyone who feels that is a problem should file a bug saying so.

jeric_synergy
03-31-2018, 12:02 PM
Ok. Thanks everyone. Going to have to play with this a while to see what’s going on.

Like that other user said: LW2015 for mission/deadline critical, meanwhile come up to speed on the new renderer, and expect a bit of a learning curve. I hear RH has put out some good stuff for learning the new renderer.

+: remember DOCUMENTION BUGS are bugs too: if something is missing, or misleading, or wrong in the dox, or just plain confusing, submit it as a bug.

jeric_synergy
04-01-2018, 12:51 AM

??? RR shows using something in LWM from the Layout viewpoint. It might just be jumped up OpenGL though. Can't make it work myself.