PDA

View Full Version : Did upgrade to LW 2018 do anything for 3D printing?

GATOR
03-28-2018, 02:21 PM
I use LW 11.6 to create models for 3D printing. Does the new upgrade do anything in terms of new tools, better performance to make the upgrade worth it? I send a fair amount of my models out to be 'repaired' after I can't fix them in LW. Thoughts?

prometheus
03-29-2018, 11:57 AM
I use LW 11.6 to create models for 3D printing. Does the new upgrade do anything in terms of new tools, better performance to make the upgrade worth it? I send a fair amount of my models out to be 'repaired' after I can't fix them in LW. Thoughts?

As far as I know, No.
modeler got very little low..and it hasnīt specificly been enhanced as far as I know of anyway..on the area of fixing geometry or print 3d specific matters.
A few new tools spline bridge and live array and lattice cage in modeler, which is more about enhancing modeler in some ways, but not really anything that will enhance 3d print.

ConjureBunny
03-31-2018, 07:23 PM

Hey could you send me one you had to have repaired? I'd like to see what kinds of problems you're having. I'll test it on my printer.

Also, if you're using LW to export an STL file, try my free Lscript for that instead of LW's native export. I'm not saying the native one is bad, just... try mine and see if that fixes any of your problems.

http://www.liberty3d.com/2013/03/free-lscript-export-to-stl-2-0-for-lightwave-9-x-through-11-5/

-Chilton

Imageshoppe
04-01-2018, 04:23 PM
I use Chilton's script for all my STL exports, works great! Thank you Chilton.

The most common error I see with files for printing are non-manifold edges when you take the STL into your slicer. When they do show up and aren't a simple fix in Lightwave or the result of bad modeling practices, I use this site to fix them, which I've had a 100% success rate...

https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

Hope that helps...

pinkmouse
04-02-2018, 01:25 AM
Though LW is fun for modelling, and great for arty stuff, for anything I need made accurately like bits for the laser cutter I'm building, I use Fusion 360. It's free for non-commercial use, and although it's a different beast to LW in workflow, once you get over the initial hump, its parametric workflow is great and it exports out directly to Cura. I wouldn't build a galactic battlecruiser in it though. :)

prometheus
04-02-2018, 06:40 AM
Though LW is fun for modelling, and great for arty stuff, for anything I need made accurately like bits for the laser cutter I'm building, I use Fusion 360. It's free for non-commercial use, and although it's a different beast to LW in workflow, once you get over the initial hump, its parametric workflow is great and it exports out directly to Cura. I wouldn't build a galactic battlecruiser in it though. :)

I though it was only free for students and educational facilities? I do not see it promoted as free for personal use?

pinkmouse
04-02-2018, 06:43 AM
Yup, as long as you earn less than 100K per year from it, it's free, (well, apart from AD's data-mining. ;) )

prometheus
04-02-2018, 06:53 AM
Yup, as long as you earn less than 100K per year from it, it's free, (well, apart from AD's data-mining. ;) )

yes...I missed the small print, a bit hidden, are you a startup or hobbiest, check if your eligable for the free non commercial version.

Imageshoppe
04-02-2018, 08:47 AM
Though LW is fun for modelling, and great for arty stuff, for anything I need made accurately like bits for the laser cutter I'm building, I use Fusion 360. I wouldn't build a galactic battlecruiser in it though. :)

Ironically, a "galactic battlecruiser" is exactly what I'm printing, only made with Lightwave :)

http://files.datausa.com/imageshoppe/outgoing/ENTERPRISE/WIP_VIDEOS/Lower_Saucer_04_02_2018.jpg

46.5" wide and ultimately 100" long when finished. Each section will be sanded, preened and prepped for molding. Parts are accurate and dimensional and fit correctly together without overlap or slop in alignment.

I do take your point; appropriate tools for appropriate jobs. Rhino, Fusion, Solid Works, even Sketchup provide "real world" help and ease of layout for complicated shapes and commonly needed mechanical bits and always should be the first go-to when doing this work.

However, a box is a box... a 100mm cube designed in Lightwave will print no differently than one built in a CAD program, and if you can overcome issues with threads, thin shells and the like, well, it doesn't matter where the gcode comes from, does it?

Here's a rather more real world example where it's important that everything "work"; a prototype for a camera roll cage I'm building, designed in Lightwave including the threads...

http://files.datausa.com/imageshoppe/outgoing/3D_printer/CAMERA_ROLL_BEARING_CAGE.mp4

It's really more important that the printer is square and true, the file sliced cleverly and orientated for best resolution on the bed, the bed leveled properly, etc. than where the code comes from.

Regards,

clintonman
04-02-2018, 08:52 AM
yes...I missed the small print, a bit hidden, are you a startup or hobbiest, check if your eligable for the free non commercial version.

Can you link to that? I don't see the small print anywhere.

prometheus
04-02-2018, 10:28 AM
Can you link to that? I don't see the small print anywhere.

I was about to..but became a little afraid of moderators..
https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/free-trial
see attached image in the red circle:) and click on the little info icon (When you go to the link), then there is some awkward steps when installing to set it to be a free version..

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=140984&d=1522686486

clintonman
04-02-2018, 12:32 PM
I was about to..but became a little afraid of moderators..
]
Thanks for that. I was expecting to see it in the subscriptions section, not the trial section.

prometheus
04-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Thanks for that. I was expecting to see it in the subscriptions section, not the trial section.

Same here, lurked in there many many months ago...but only to find trial section and not a free version, and thus missed this..ergo, never downloaded it and tried it, I am sure they will miss out on a lot of folks
wanting to test it around without time limitation.

Gungho3D
04-02-2018, 09:42 PM
Ironically, a "galactic battlecruiser" is exactly what I'm printing, only made with Lightwave :)

http://files.datausa.com/imageshoppe/outgoing/ENTERPRISE/WIP_VIDEOS/Lower_Saucer_04_02_2018.jpg

46.5" wide and ultimately 100" long when finished. Each section will be sanded, preened and prepped for molding. Parts are accurate and dimensional and fit correctly together without overlap or slop in alignment.

I do take your point; appropriate tools for appropriate jobs. Rhino, Fusion, Solid Works, even Sketchup provide "real world" help and ease of layout for complicated shapes and commonly needed mechanical bits and always should be the first go-to when doing this work.

However, a box is a box... a 100mm cube designed in Lightwave will print no differently than one built in a CAD program, and if you can overcome issues with threads, thin shells and the like, well, it doesn't matter where the gcode comes from, does it?

Here's a rather more real world example where it's important that everything "work"; a prototype for a camera roll cage I'm building, designed in Lightwave including the threads...

http://files.datausa.com/imageshoppe/outgoing/3D_printer/CAMERA_ROLL_BEARING_CAGE.mp4

It's really more important that the printer is square and true, the file sliced cleverly and orientated for best resolution on the bed, the bed leveled properly, etc. than where the code comes from.

Regards,
Man that is really clever. I don't mean you have reached an unattainable goal no one else can reach, what I mean is that your post about the battle cruiser plus the link demonstrate the end goal capability.

Have you thought about doing a full workup from start to finish in tutorial form, something simple but also stepping through basic as well as finer-point requirements and spelling out common "gotchas"? True, maybe you wish to hang on to your "11 secret herbs and spices" for what you do, and no one would blame you for that :D