samurai_x
03-27-2018, 09:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZYeHlwMCCM

Broadcast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf22ZIBhYcc

This company just keeps innovating. :D

vipvip242
03-28-2018, 01:28 AM
perfect software with excellent LW integration.
The only limitation is the loss of UV mapping when editing a multi-surface obj in modeler : that would be so great to go beyond that...
there are workaround which makes the process heavier actually, using different subtools/ LW layers...

samurai_x
03-28-2018, 02:37 AM
I'm waiting for them to catch up to substance painter and eliminate one more competition.
The dynamic tessellation they integrated from sculptris is a game changer. Just eliminated 3dcoat imo.

gerry_g
03-28-2018, 03:33 AM
yeah I always get bad junctions when I attach something like an ear, even when I rehash its no better, think its a double edged sword though, going to have to do more retopo and reproject, overall the deformer is what grabs me as best thing in there, great for concept.

wyattharris
03-28-2018, 10:46 AM
yeah I always get bad junctions when I attach something like an ear
Yeah, no more having to plan how to join a head to a body and deal with the seams. Can't wait to give it a spin.

sadkkf
03-28-2018, 11:47 AM
yeah I always get bad junctions when I attach something like an ear, even when I rehash its no better, think its a double edged sword though, going to have to do more retopo and reproject, overall the deformer is what grabs me as best thing in there, great for concept.

Did you run into this with their VDM brushes, too?

Rayek
03-28-2018, 01:40 PM
If only they fixed the GUI. It's so bloated, and counter-intuitive. Never could get used to it. 3D Coat: no issues there. The first time I opened it I was flying within minutes. Zbrush: no way Jose.

sadkkf
03-28-2018, 01:59 PM
If only they fixed the GUI. It's so bloated, and counter-intuitive. Never could get used to it. 3D Coat: no issues there. The first time I opened it I was flying within minutes. Zbrush: no way Jose.

It's definitely a learning curve, but I've found the more I use it the less I fight it.

Wickedpup
03-28-2018, 05:30 PM
If only they fixed the GUI. It's so bloated, and counter-intuitive. Never could get used to it.
A Blender user complaining about the GUI and counter-intuivity of ZBrush? That is just hilarious....:ohmy:

Ztreem
03-28-2018, 06:33 PM
Feels like zbrush and blender is similar in that regard. No standard gui and do things a little different, but I heard a lot of users of both apps say that after they got used to the gui it works really good. I’ve learned blender and that gui and workflow is actually really good once you learn it. I can imagine the same for zbrush, otherwise it wouldn’t be as big in the industry.
At the same time we are all different and do different kind of work, so what fits one person doesn’t have to fit the other.

Revanto
03-28-2018, 06:49 PM

Yeah, I agree but the GUI has some redeeming aspects especially in the way you can compacts menus so that they are not in the way.

Rev. :p

Ernest
03-28-2018, 08:30 PM
but I heard a lot of users of both apps say that after they got used to the gui it works really good.

And by "got used to the gui" they mean "bought ZScenemanager and spent several full days completely redesigning the GUI" (which, to their credit, is very configurable)

samurai_x
03-28-2018, 09:29 PM
If only they fixed the GUI. It's so bloated, and counter-intuitive.

Hahahaha. Geez herbert, the app you keep advertising in forums is no different.
At least zbrush is mainly a sculpting app that had no standard workflow to follow so it is what it is.
Blender, like established 3d appz, had years to follow simple conventions. But even the recent interview with Ton, he keeps saying he's not really wrong.

Revanto
03-28-2018, 10:20 PM
I just tried out the Sulptris pro integration and it feels awful... Just soooo clunky. I went back to Sculptris and fiddled around to create this in about 10 minutes.

The very first time I used Sculptris 8 years ago, it felt natural and felt like I had some sort of talent. It did what it was supposed to do. Sculptris pro feels clunky and awkward. You can't even use the Move tool! Well, you can but it doesn't tesselate like in Sculptris (the original and the best). One of the main tools I use is the Grab tool in Sculptris but, in Zbrush, it's back to stretching polys...

I'm not actually that talented when it comes to art (see image attached above) but it just goes to show the amazing difference between a flashy program and one that does the job right.

Don't get me wrong, Zbrush still has so many cool tools but the Sculptris integration was poorly done.

Revanto :p

Rayek
03-28-2018, 10:48 PM
First, I own a license of both Zbrush and 3dCoat. I got my zBrush license a long time ago, and it's a brilliant piece of software, but I am no concept artist using it on a daily or weekly basis. In short, I install Zbrush, try to do some work in it, and the GUI gets in my way. If I'd be using it on a very regular basis, I would manage my way through it, but that is not the case: for 98% of the work I do I don't need high-end sculpting tools.

Once in a fortnight that I do need a good sculpting tool, I will use 3dCoat instead, because the GUI doesn't get in my way. And ps I am not the only person struggling with Zbrush's GUI: I've seen experienced Zbrush users forget where certain functions were to be found, and they work in Zbrush daily. It's not just me.

Aaaanyway... I don't know how my use of Blender is related with this particular conversation, and it feels awkward. I came back to these forums when LW2018 came out, and tested it thoroughly to see if it would entice me back (Heck, I used it till 2017 from Amiga times). I got emotionally invested again, got disappointed once more, and that is my mistake, and it lead to some negative behaviour on my part, which I regret. Lightwave has that effect, I guess ;-)

So, last post here. And last post in which I will coin the word "Lightwave". Finito. Life is far too short for this tribalist behaviour. :-)

gerry_g
03-29-2018, 04:09 AM
yeah but 3D Coat is bad with tablet nav, as in unusable without a second device, ZBrush is way better, it works as per expected, and I don't buy that the GUI is better either, it's a total mess, with ZBrush you can role your own, make up any configuration of tools and panels and save it as a custom preset.
Sculptris is nice but has next to no other tools than sculpt or copy, clone, mirror etc, ZBrush is from another planet entirely.

wyattharris
03-29-2018, 12:20 PM
I just tried out the Sulptris pro integration and it feels awful... Just soooo clunky. I went back to Sculptris and fiddled around to create this in about 10 minutes.
Hmm, that wasn't my experience. Felt very comfortable and it just flowed. The 'remember brush size/dynamics' buttons are a god send. Can't imagine why it took this long for that feature.

I remember having the same issues with the ZB way of doing things. It's not an object or model, its a tool. Made no sense to me. V2 was not even designed with 3D in mind, it just supported it, so I was lost that entire cycle. By V3 I was determined to get it. Found a good tutorial and within a week it made sense. The truth is for the massive number of features it has, you really only need about 10. It's a lot like LW. I remember it CAN do x, now to look up where it is. I noticed with my work and that of most of the featured artists at ZBC, you can get by with the standard brush for just about everything.

Also, like Ernest mentioned, I was fine with the subtools as they were but you can't beat ZSceneManager for $29.

djwaterman
03-31-2018, 02:33 AM
I want to upgrade, do I just do it through the upgrade page on the Pixologic site or do it through the actual program,(deactivate and so on)? It seems that they might have a new easier way to upgrade now.

gerry_g
03-31-2018, 03:41 AM
if you haven't upgraded since v3 series I think you have to re register as the licensing system has been overhauled, go look on the ZBrush site, pretty sure it gives a reasonable explanation and links to what you need to do

Revanto
03-31-2018, 05:07 AM
I thought I'd go back and give Sculptris Pro another chance and it was once again a frustrating experience. Trying to get things to look decent as to how I wanted them never happened for me in the end. I then jumped back into Sculptris itself (IE the fun free program that I fell in love with) and spent about 20 minutes while using my crappy art skills to create this:

Sure Sulptris doesn't have all the bells and whistles as Zbrush but in terms of the feel of the actual sculpting, the original Sculptris beats Zbrush by a mile. It just goes to show that, sometimes, it IS the program that makes the difference.

In saying that, though, I did enjoy fiddling around with the primitive deformers in ZB. That's actually kind of fun but I did have minor glitches. If any of you try it, try rotating the deformer with the gizmo (use a distinct shape and not a sphere, though) and you'll see what I mean.

Revanto :p

hrgiger
03-31-2018, 06:19 AM
Not sure what you mean Revanto, Sculptris pro mode in Zbrush is awesome. Zbrush has never been this good. Sounds like you're just used to the way Sculptris works.

VermilionCat
03-31-2018, 06:25 AM
I've never used Sculptris but the one in ZBrush feels really good. The one thing I don't like is you cannot use while polys are partially hidden.

Revanto
03-31-2018, 07:37 PM
Not sure what you mean Revanto, Sculptris pro mode in Zbrush is awesome. Zbrush has never been this good. Sounds like you're just used to the way Sculptris works.

Yeah, obviously, most people will disagree with me. There are a ton of people who just couldn't live without Zbrush and love the workflow. I'm just not one of those people. Zbrush has great tools (like live booleans) but not all of them agree with me.

Lots of people hate MS paint but I've seen a guy do awesome artwork in it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF81462BFB46EA970

Maybe I just need to fiddle with the settings or something and try it out again. I don't really want to give up on this unless I reach a point where I feel like the program is just not cooperating with what I want to do.

Rev.

hrgiger
04-01-2018, 01:50 AM
I'd say look at your sculptris pro panel and adjust your tessalation and decimation settings. There are good videos on zclassroom covering the new features, including Sculptris pro.

kyuzo
09-05-2018, 09:27 AM
Once I upgrade my hardware, I'm looking at getting some sculpting software, and it sounds like ZBrush is a good option. I don't think I'll need the full package, and have just noticed the ZBrush Core option.
Anyone got any experience of that? Or any advice?