PDA

View Full Version : Octane Lightwave not using GPU (much) for rendering

GimbalLock
03-26-2018, 09:24 AM
Hi Forum,

After using the demo of Octane for a few days I've purchased the subscription version of Octane for Lightwave. In the demo I couldn't render so I didn't notice this: when making F9 renders, LW Octane uses my CPU (at half speed) while my graphics card is doing nothing. It also renders super slow.

I've been unable to find any posts about similar issues.
Use Priority Settings > High has no effect.

And here's another example, same scene, PathTracing kernel. It seems to not really use GPU or CPU at all in this case. It's rendering a simple sphere with a glass-like shader on it, and taking a relatively long time doing so.

I have another scene that uses the GPU a little bit (max 20%) and no CPU at all - so it also renders rather slow. Help much appreciated!

GimbalLock
03-26-2018, 10:17 AM
For comparison, here is what it looks like when 3d Coat renders on GPU. So my system as a whole is able to. Just not in LW Octane.

3dworks
03-26-2018, 11:03 AM
best is to post this on the otoy octane forums directly, so more plugin users and also the developer will be able to help you...

that being said i don't know what could be the issue. maybe just a setting in windows drivers, as on mac i never encountered this problem. in any case it is best to use one or more dedicated GPU's for octane, as this way you still can use the remaining GPU for OpenGL and general screen redrawing.

link https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=36

GimbalLock
03-26-2018, 11:49 AM
Yeah, thanks. I filled in a support form to Otoy, they should know. I'm having the same issue in Octane standalone so it's not really Lightwave related.