PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Room v1.0 has been released!

Sensei
03-26-2018, 02:44 AM
Hello!

I would like to inform that VirtualRoom v1.0 has been released!

VirtualRoom is LightWave Layout node for visualizing virtual interiors which can be seen through windows.

It should be especially interesting tool for archviz artists who are interested in city visualizations, and realistic visualizations of buildings.

Key features:
- randomize interior images.
- randomize draperies images.
- randomize coverage of interiors with lights turned on and off.
- randomize coverage of draperies.
- independent tinting, brightness and gamma for interiors and draperies, with lights turned on and off.
- optional distortions of interiors to simulate not perfectly flat windows.
- the all options in GUI can be overridden from Node Editor.
- compatible image format with old vRoom plugin.
- compatible with LW 2018.0.2, LW 2015.3 and LW v11.0.3

You can read more and order plugin here:
http://virtualroom.trueart.eu

Video tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT4dYgw9cBY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT4dYgw9cBY

http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/VirtualRoom/Graphics/Virtual%20Room%201.png

Best Regards!

3dworks
03-26-2018, 04:47 AM
looking like a vroom clone! ;-) very interested, as old vroom does not work anymore on 2018. 2 questions: is it available for mac os? can octane be used with it? cheers and congrats for release, markus

jwiede
03-26-2018, 06:43 AM
If you look at the plugin's page, it mentions both Windows & Mac support.

JamesCurtis
03-26-2018, 08:24 AM
I like what I'm seeing. Nice price too! Will consider ordering once I get paid by my current client on a project.

One question, would it handle, say, an apartment complex?

I'm assuming you can make your own custom buildings, and other assets?

3dworks
03-26-2018, 08:51 AM
If you look at the plugin's page, it mentions both Windows & Mac support.

yep found it out now, thanks! question remaining: is there a workflow for this plugin to render directly with octane? that would be the ultimate buying reason for me. nevertheless, it could be useful even when rendering the plugin effect in native LW, then comping into the octane renderings. just curious if we can link the nodes, somehow.

Sensei
03-26-2018, 09:05 AM
I don't have Octane to check if it works..

Sensei
03-26-2018, 09:21 AM
One question, would it handle, say, an apartment complex?

Of couse.
But if you have e.g. two or more sizes of windows on the same wall, you should make two surfaces for them, and attach VirtualRoom node with slightly different settings (different Offset and different Size parameters).
Alternatively, make weight map, with 0 and 1, expose it in Node Editor using Vertex Maps > Weight map node, then use it as Opacity to Mixer, 1st input Const > Vector, and 2nd input to Mixer Const > Vector, output from Mixer plug to Size nodal input in Virtual Room.

I'm assuming you can make your own custom buildings, and other assets?

What you make as "assets" are interior images and draperies images. What I showed in 0:50 to 1:00 of video.
e.g. make photos of your room, all walls 4 times, make photo of floor and ceiling. Composite it in Photoshop. Done.

It's all virtual.

- - - Updated - - -

yep found it out now, thanks! question remaining: is there a workflow for this plugin to render directly with octane? that would be the ultimate buying reason for me. nevertheless, it could be useful even when rendering the plugin effect in native LW, then comping into the octane renderings. just curious if we can link the nodes, somehow.

Does original vRoom work with Octane.. ?

3dworks
03-26-2018, 09:49 AM

i don't know if it does. Octane can render LW procedural inside a node, could that be the way? What is the output of the virtual room node? a texture?

Sensei
03-26-2018, 09:52 AM
What is the output of the virtual room node? a texture?

Color output. On video I am plugging color to Standard material in LW 2018. In LW 2015.3, and LW v11.x, I would plug it to e.g. Refraction Shading.

3dworks
03-26-2018, 09:56 AM
Color output. On video I am plugging color to Standard material in LW 2018. In LW 2015.3, and LW v11.x, I would plug it to e.g. Refraction Shading.

then maybe it could work. what are the modelling instructions to use it? does a facade need to be modeled like for vroom?

CaptainMarlowe
03-26-2018, 01:20 PM
Looks really interesting. Well done.

3dworks
03-26-2018, 03:03 PM
sensei, if you can read this here - please can you check your mail server, my emails to trueart.pl are getting refused... regards markus

>>> CONNECT trueart.pl [77.232.66.131]
<<< 451 4.4.1 Connection refused by trueart.pl

JohnMarchant
03-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Looks like the natural successor to vRoom. I was in contact with Luke and he offers no more support for vRoom, indeed he does not even sell it anymore. Shame i really liked the look of that plugin.

3dworks
03-27-2018, 02:05 AM
sensei, if you can read this here - please can you check your mail server, my emails to trueart.pl are getting refused... regards markus

>>> CONNECT trueart.pl [77.232.66.131]
<<< 451 4.4.1 Connection refused by trueart.pl

sensei told me to use trueart.eu address for contact him, just to keep you updated... ;-)

Asticles
03-27-2018, 02:12 AM
This is great!

pixym
03-27-2018, 02:10 PM
It is a pity that the "rooms" are not in real world size (250mm). They are "virtual" …

Sensei
03-27-2018, 08:38 PM
It is a pity that the "rooms" are not in real world size (250mm). They are "virtual"

What is pity? If you're making big city with skyscrapers, people rarely use kilometers as unit, because of problems in display in Layout.. I used scale 1:10. 0.25m = 2.5m. Because of example 3d building demanded it.

pixym
03-27-2018, 09:20 PM
I mean this :

Sensei
03-28-2018, 12:50 AM
I mean this

I understand what you meant. And already answered above. 250 mm = 2.5 m but with scale 1:10. If there would be entire city, Layout sometimes does not display nicely in viewport when there are used kilometers..
People doing exterior archviz often are using 1:10, 1:100 and 1:1000 scales. To prevent issues in viewport.
People doing visualizations of planet often are using 1:1000000, and instead of Earth radius 6370 km object has 6.37 meters..

pixym
03-28-2018, 05:54 AM
People doing exterior archviz often are using 1:10, 1:100 and 1:1000 scales. To prevent issues in viewport.
Not Me, I have never experienced this issue…

Marander
03-28-2018, 07:41 AM
I understand what you meant. And already answered above. 250 mm = 2.5 m but with scale 1:10. If there would be entire city, Layout sometimes does not display nicely in viewport when there are used kilometers..
People doing visualizations of planet often are using 1:1000000, and instead of Earth radius 6370 km object has 6.37 meters..

I disagree, when using a physical base render you should whenever use real world scales. Landscape is different, you reduce scale but in no way in the amount you mentioned.

rustythe1
03-28-2018, 08:37 AM
especially with PBR roughness, fixed properties and fixed light properties,

oliverhotz
03-28-2018, 09:32 AM

you dont need it for octane.. Octane now has OSL, and there's free osl textures to do just that.

Chris S. (Fez)
03-28-2018, 10:39 AM
you dont need it for octane.. Octane now has OSL, and there's free osl textures to do just that.

Now for Max 2019 as well, which means there are going to be many, many OSL resources soon. Already over 100 included with Max. I hope this is not a huge task to add to native Lightwave.

3dworks
03-28-2018, 05:06 PM

argh, didn't know that. too late - in any case octane seems not to be able to handle it as it has no direct connection to how layout render engine evaluates data. no problem as you might just use the plugin output as render pass when using octane and put everything together in comp.

the scale "problem" is just with the demo model, but i guess the plugin would work perfectly when modelling in real scale. in my experience since using LW 6 i never encountered any problem when rendering buildings or cities modeled in real scale units...

however i would like to know what are the modelling guidelines for using this plugin. do we need to use just separated quads as projection surface? can different polygon sizes be combined when using different surfaces? rarely you will find a building with all the same window sizes. do the polygons with the virtual room surface material have to be disconnected from the rest of the wall?

3dworks
03-28-2018, 05:15 PM

found something here http://lesterbanks.com/2017/10/free-windowbox-shader-map-interiors/

someone is already testing it here

https://vimeo.com/262144475

and it has an additional middle ground, which is far more realistic and ideal for shopwindows for example! maybe sensei can implement this as well into the LW native version?

Sensei
03-30-2018, 11:11 PM
Release v1.1: Fixed two issues that appeared on MacOS X. Thanks Markus for helping finding them.

Sensei
03-31-2018, 07:55 AM
and it has an additional middle ground, which is far more realistic and ideal for shopwindows for example!

IMHO what you showed looks like nothing realistic as my solution.
The whole point is in randomization of interior images, randomization of draperies, randomization of whether lights are turned on or off (or partially turned on)...

maybe sensei can implement this as well into the LW native version?

I very like that there are virtual people visible in these rooms.
It's a bit of work, but doable. Similar to how draperies are implemented.
Randomize yet another set of images of people.
And place them first, prior calculation of draperies (so draperies will override them).
Yet another very good idea Markus.

Send me such people sets with alpha by e-mail..

And make some city with Virtual Room..
(in the easiest to make version you can just make boxes, and set Room Size to fraction of box width,height,depth)

Pavlov
05-23-2018, 01:02 PM
Hello Sensei, one question. This method is quite good for distance but not for closeups since there is no real item inside the rooms, just mapped walls.
So i wonder if it's potentially possible to add a set of 3d items to be scattered automatically on the floors - i.e. sofas, furnitures, tables and so on.
In this case this tool would cover nearly 100% of the needs for interiors seen from outside.
If not, for close shots we have to put real apartments with furniture behind windows.

Thanks
Paolo