PDA

View Full Version : daz export to lw

vonpietro
03-24-2018, 03:02 AM
Hi,

anyone know if you can export the posed character in daz?

I got it to export - but it does a t pose which is nice.
however, i like the pose handles in daz and can get a character posed very quickly.

is it possible to export the pose data (like a saved transform) in daz?

Ma3rk
03-24-2018, 03:14 AM
Short answer is yes in fact probably with animation even. Export out as a FBX then import that into Layout. Don't know if there are significant changes with 2018 but would think it should still be fine. Search youtube on the topic as there is (or was) one little quirk that's pretty easy to fix with an additonal bone.

There'll be others with more experience with the process chiming in on the topic I'm sure.

Oldcode
03-24-2018, 07:53 AM
There's no direct way to export everything that we like about a DAZ/Poser character into Lightwave. The comprehensive way to do it is to export the character in the T-Pose, and rig them with bones in Layout. For facial expressions and other morphs, you need to export each expression, each morph, into a separate OBJ file, then use the Background to Morph tool in Modeler to create that morph in the Motion Mixer. \

Depending the the character, it can be a tremendous amount of work, which is why I animate in Poser then bring the character geometry, textures, and animation data into Lightwave via PoserFusion.

Good Luck,

prometheus
03-24-2018, 08:42 AM
Just export out to fbx format, you can pose it which ever way you like in daz and get the pose in to lightwave with fbx, and same with animation..creating a time line animation with daz posing changes, and export to lightwave and the animation should be there.
upon export you will have to make sure what do export, animation, morphs etc.
figures, morphs and animation is good to always have checked, export to fbx 2012 ascii is what I mostly used.
Lightwave 2015 and daz 4.9
Lightwave 2018 had some initial issues first, but it was fixed, later daz versions...donīt know.
you always have to readjust surfaces though, especially glossiness and transparency, the lashes transparency map it always fail to load, so that is manual work.

Ik booster works on top of daz figures, so if you have set a specific pose with daz controls, you can manually start from that in lightwave and add ikbooster for getting similar controls in lightwave if you need to change pose or animate it, Ik booster can do booth IK an FK.

Edit..disregard my advice on exporting animations if you only want a static pose to start with in lightwave, if you check export animations, you will end up with keyframes on every channel for the character, so that would require deleting them all in lightwave first if you want to do your own ik booster animations.

prometheus
03-24-2018, 09:17 AM
just noted, previous with lw 2018.01 ...there was an issue of when importing the fbx, lightwave seemed to have added two set of bones in the modifier stack, making it all distorted, and if you removed one of those bone modifiers, it was corrected.
In 2018.02, I just discovered that it seems you have two duplicate set of bones in the imported figure, I need to check what is going on here...if it is lightwave or daz.

Test with genesis 8 figure.

prometheus
03-24-2018, 10:01 AM
just noted, previous with lw 2018.01 ...there was an issue of when importing the fbx, lightwave seemed to have added two set of bones in the modifier stack, making it all distorted, and if you removed one of those bone modifiers, it was corrected.
In 2018.02, I just discovered that it seems you have two duplicate set of bones in the imported figure, I need to check what is going on here...if it is lightwave or daz.

Test with genesis 8 figure.

Checked, it is the same within 2015, my exported genesis 8 figure gets a double set of upper bones, will have to track that down if itīs something special with that figure, or if it is the export settings that got messed up, so most likely not a Lightwave issue.

Markc
03-24-2018, 12:24 PM
If you just want a specific pose of the character, export as obj to LW.
Select the LW preset, under write groups I use surface names, and write surfaces I write material library and use collect maps

prometheus
03-24-2018, 02:04 PM
If you just want a specific pose of the character, export as obj to LW.
Select the LW preset, under write groups I use surface names, and write surfaces I write material library and use collect maps

It assumes the pose never will be changed, as obj, it doesnīt contain bones..Iīd vote mostly for fbx, but then again as you say, if the pose is determined for good, use obj and donīt ever plan to change the pose.

ruscular
03-24-2018, 05:59 PM
There is a way to export DAZ character and all of its expression to Lightwave as FBX. I would highly recommend getting the Ryan Daz3d to lightwave Mocap plugin from www.liberty3d.com
It will come with a video tutorial on how to prepare a model for Lightwave. The plugin however is specifically fully support Genesis 2 model but will work in some cases with Genesis and genesis 3

vonpietro
03-28-2018, 01:17 AM
thanks for all the answers.
My tinkering with daz and lightwave yielded the following

importing an fbx by just hitting load gave me a t-posed stance of the character with no morphs.
selecting import in layout gave me a completley different result - importing the bones and snapping the character to the posed daz layout. However, the bones were all wonky and didn't overlay exactly.

I tried obj export, and low an behold, it loaded in the pose that i had in daz, again with no morphs.

but the make your own morphs using the poses would work well enough.

the fbx import bone layout yielded super large hands for some reason, and some distortion in the feet as well.
I would rather use genoma on the character and get a rig that way than importing the crappy one from daz.

Overall though, the OBJ export in the pose i want works perfectly for me as i'm not doing animation with the character, i just need them posed.
this way i can just pose it in daz, export as an obj and bring it into lw as a statue. DO some slight resurfacing and done.

prometheus
03-28-2018, 01:57 AM
thanks for all the answers.
My tinkering with daz and lightwave yielded the following

importing an fbx by just hitting load gave me a t-posed stance of the character with no morphs.
selecting import in layout gave me a completley different result - importing the bones and snapping the character to the posed daz layout. However, the bones were all wonky and didn't overlay exactly.

I tried obj export, and low an behold, it loaded in the pose that i had in daz, again with no morphs.

but the make your own morphs using the poses would work well enough.

the fbx import bone layout yielded super large hands for some reason, and some distortion in the feet as well.
I would rather use genoma on the character and get a rig that way than importing the crappy one from daz.

Overall though, the OBJ export in the pose i want works perfectly for me as i'm not doing animation with the character, i just need them posed.
this way i can just pose it in daz, export as an obj and bring it into lw as a statue. DO some slight resurfacing and done.

I understand obj may be all you need since no animation is require, but may I ask you what daz figure you commonly want to export?
fbx is great and works with poses and morphs, If you use genesis figures only, if you use other characters..you may have issues.

grafxstudio
03-28-2018, 08:04 AM
Vonpietro
I have loaded a genesis 3 obj with a facegen morph into Lightwave. Textured it , lighted it and rendered it. Added postwork. Pretty simple

prometheus
03-28-2018, 10:39 AM
Vonpietro
I have loaded a genesis 3 obj with a facegen morph into Lightwave. Textured it , lighted it and rendered it. Added postwork. Pretty simple

I noticed that genesis 3 in one pose I tested, the bones where not accurately following the mesh, and with another pose..it was perfectly following the mesh, so I reckon it may have to do with what kind of pose it is, and how it was created.

Your image is nice by the way, looks more like illustrated than actually 3d rendered.

vonpietro
03-29-2018, 12:17 AM
my character was a lizard man.

grafxstudio
03-29-2018, 06:31 PM
Have a question, it might be off topic but how do you add makeup to Genesis character when the images are individual? Like blush, lipstick and eyeliner?

roboman
03-29-2018, 08:32 PM
You edit the uv image map with photoshop/gimp or some other image editing tool

Markc
03-30-2018, 05:04 AM
Have a question, it might be off topic but how do you add makeup to Genesis character when the images are individual? Like blush, lipstick and eyeliner?

I find it easier to do this in Daz.
It is then exported in the maps.

prometheus
03-30-2018, 07:02 AM

as Markc said above, but otherwise..just Paint new ones, krita has good symmetry paint and it is free to use, reload as new maps when you need make up of variations, and paint several maps to choose from.

wesleycorgi
03-30-2018, 08:19 AM
Catching up on this thread... because I've needed to import a bunch of posed Daz3D characters for a current project. I had to relearn a bunch of stuff that I had already went through.

Funnily, past me retaught current me a good FBX workflow via Google finding my old posts on importing Daz3D fbx and obj! Lot's of good info here:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?130593-FBX-import-from-Daz

and here:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?125710-PIPELINE-DAZstudiopro4-LIGHTWAVE/

prometheus
03-30-2018, 01:24 PM
I usually import with baked rotations and lightwave joints,
Also...if you add ik booster for the option to pose any fbx daz rig, make sure you delete the fbx_base_bone transformer..but click no when asked for clearing descendants too.

Then delete the bone genesis3 female, click no when asked again for clearing descendants, and the big main bone will be gone, this is also necessary for ik booster to work properly, otherwise the bones will not fit the mesh when posed with ik booster, so make sure to follow that and you should be able to pose the DAZ rig with ik booster properly when that is done.

prometheus
03-30-2018, 02:27 PM
my character was a lizard man.

donīt know what character that is, but as I said, using pozer figures or any other third party content that isnīt any genesis figure, will probably yield wonky bones and such.

Markc
04-01-2018, 07:31 AM
Been doing some tests recently with Daz to LW.

grafxstudio
04-08-2018, 08:35 PM
When you surface a Daz Studio character, do you use the image maps that are brought over from the import? Or do you import all the image maps from their runtime folder and use those?

prometheus
04-09-2018, 10:25 AM
When you surface a Daz Studio character, do you use the image maps that are brought over from the import? Or do you import all the image maps from their runtime folder and use those?

You can do both, but if you do not collect the textures upon export, it may be hard to know..if your not acustomed to exactly which map is used where etc.
With an export with textures, they should all be setup as they should be, except for transmaps, which previously lightwave didnīt read in ( I think I noticed a change in 2018 ..it may be fixed, have to check again)

Then again, you will still have to re-arrange the textures a bit..if you convert your standard material to skin, when you convert to principled I think the texture connection is maintained..though not specificly with a texture node, rather the color layer node with the texture intact and fed in to the proper input slots to the principle node , but they need to implement the same
for when converting to skin material, as it is now..you have to add a texture node and make the connections in to several input slots for the skin material.

If you do not export textures, manually loading of each image has to be done, with texture export that is already done.
As far as I know, there is no changes made to the actual textures...wether you export fbx or if you pick them from the runtime folder.

grafxstudio
04-09-2018, 10:53 AM
This is how I have set up the arm. When rendered out I get a muted skin and not like the skins you get when you render through Daz Studio.141110 And this is what the skin looks like. Have I setup the surfaces correctly or should i change something in my nodal work flow?

Markc
04-09-2018, 11:46 AM
Depends what sort of look your after.
If you want an arty surreal look, then go with creating PBR materials.

The images I posted above, are all the standard maps from Daz.
By exporting an OBJ and selecting to collect the maps, everything is exported into a selected folder.
When you load the OBJ into LW most of the maps load into all the channels.
So all the surfaces are standard (none of the new 2018 settings).

prometheus
04-09-2018, 12:36 PM
This is how I have set up the arm. When rendered out I get a muted skin and not like the skins you get when you render through Daz Studio.141110 And this is what the skin looks like. Have I setup the surfaces correctly or should i change something in my nodal work flow?

hard to tell, I do not see the output of the nodes,but some nodes doesnīt seem right, you got a grayscale image it seems fed into hyperdermis color, where I would plug the color image in to that instead, you are also plugging in the maps to the distance inputs, which feels a bit awkward to use any map at all on.
I would start by feeding just the color image in to epidermis color, dermis color and hypodermis color, and maybe keep bump map, so remove the single color node for the dermis color and feed the color image map node in to that, and remove the greyscale image you have fed in to the hypodermis color and feed the color Image map in to that instead, remove the map inputs that goes in to distance values, probably plug the color image map in to specular color as well.
also check lightwave skin documentation....
"Images applied to the inputs for Epidermis, Dermis and Hypodermis inputs will always give a more realistic result."