PDA

View Full Version : brick, bricks and bricks

philip
12-26-2003, 06:08 AM
here's a render of a job I finished this late fall.
I had to model texture and render over 80 special shape bricks.
Close to 200 renders all in all.
It was done for www.akacom.com who did the website at http://na.hansonbrick.com/en/architect/index.php
have a look there for all the renders.

Matt
12-26-2003, 08:29 AM
Excellent photorealism as usual Philip, I've always admired your work.

Matt

miso popovic
12-26-2003, 09:48 AM
nice bricks! if i ware to nickpick i would say that i can see that the texture is same on some "in focus" bricks, but why nickpick!:) great lighting!shadow map?

philip
12-26-2003, 09:59 AM
yeah, the repeating textures are rather obvious, eh? :p
they were provided by the client and I had to use them so all bricks could be re-rendered using different textures by just replacing one image file.

for the lighting I used Overcaster and a spotlight with a gobo (the tree shadow), which lends the image some nice touch IMO.
At 200 renders in 2 months I had to make it rather quick :D

thanks for your kind comments!

SODAPLAY
12-26-2003, 05:04 PM
The only one thing that sets it away from total photorealism is the fact that you used same kinds of textures on the briks. If you'd use different textures then it would be totally photorealistic.

- SODA

riki
12-26-2003, 07:36 PM
They look good, but too clean and perfect.

veljko
12-27-2003, 02:04 AM
I have no problems with theese bircks- They look fantastic!:)

-now the part where i look stuppid---

what is a spotlight with a gobo?

philip
12-27-2003, 02:36 AM
a gobo or a cookie is something you put in front of a spotlight to create shadows and a more interesting lighting. In the real world these often are pieces of cardboard with holes cut into them. In the world of 3D you can just map an image onto the spotlight. I used a black and white image of a tree to fake this tree shadow.

ingo
12-27-2003, 06:43 AM
Hallo Philip, looks like you had a nice boring job, 200 pictures just with bricks. Two month only bricks, bricks....

The detail shot looks nice, i only would avoid the depth of field, its a bit disturbing (so rerender them all please ;) ).

Just curious, have you got the job over the internet ?

philip
12-29-2003, 02:24 AM
yes and no. They contacted me via email for a quote on a smaller gig early last year. I did various jobs for them over the year...

Why do you think the DOF looks "disturbing"? Are you sure that's the right term? :p

ingo
12-29-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by philip
yes and no. They contacted me via email for a quote on a smaller gig early last year. I did various jobs for them over the year...

Why do you think the DOF looks "disturbing"? Are you sure that's the right term? :p

Well first i wanted to say annoying, but hey, its XMas time ;)

Seems that a lot of us german cg guys work now for clients outside germany, i have a nice client now in the middle east, also got via internet. Or are we to dumb for aquiring clients in our country ? :p

philip
12-29-2003, 10:32 AM
yeah, I only had 2 jobs for german companies this year. All the rest came from Canada and the states.

oxyg3n
01-03-2004, 01:04 AM
Bricks look real to me, except for the repeating texture.

Roux
01-06-2004, 02:57 AM
Hi Phillip. Stop paying your bills and get back to the McLaren tutorial! :D .

I love the job you did.
If you really want a laugh, I work (full-time)for Hanson Australia (same company) and do all the E-Learning stuff, video training and 3D etc. I found it hilarious that I have 20K+ of software and they don't even know that I do 3D for them every other day.:rolleyes: Still, I don't think I could do any more without growing another two sets of arms and eyes.......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

At least they paid for quality work this time.

Now get back to your tutorial!

Cheers,
Roux