PDA

View Full Version : How to save animations in 2018?

djgeenen
03-22-2018, 02:27 AM
Could someone tell me how to save an animation in Lightwave 2018?
I haven't found anywhere to request a save or specify a location to save an animation.

Sensei
03-22-2018, 02:44 AM
You probably meant "how to save image sequence to animation file such as avi or mov"..

Press Ctrl-p for Render Properties, there is last tab Output,
click there on Animation, first left column to enable, then pick up file format, and file name.
You should not render directly to animation file, but first to image sequence.

If there will be crash, lack of power, you will lose data, file will be damaged. And you will have to start from scratch.

djgeenen
03-22-2018, 03:27 AM
Thanks for your reply.

But I don't see anywhere for file name or a destination.

Nothing is active that hasn't already been checked or specified.

UnCommonGrafx
03-22-2018, 03:38 AM
Notice how on this page, the data fields have relevant info as to where to save the files:
https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Render+Properties+-+Output

Robert

Sensei
03-22-2018, 03:56 AM
Thanks for your reply.

But I don't see anywhere for file name or a destination.

Nothing is active that hasn't already been checked or specified.

Click on list view item....
Then you'll be able to pick file name..

djgeenen
03-22-2018, 02:43 PM
OK, I've been able to save an image sequence of an animation.

But it was not saved as an avi file although avi was checked.

In the past, Lightwave would save avi files.

Thank you both for the help.

raymondtrace
03-22-2018, 03:55 PM
You may have found an issue that you can report through the bug report tool.

I would not be surprised if video output was not fully tested as few people in their right mind would choose to do this (for reasons explained in the first reply).

MonroePoteet
03-22-2018, 08:59 PM
Saving an AVI file works fine for me in LW2018.0.2, although as has been recommended several times (and I agree), I never render directly to an animation file. I use the open-source FFMPEG to convert the image sequences output from LW into animation files or import them into a video editor.

As others have said, I render render to image sequences, then convert to animations.

mTp

prometheus
03-24-2018, 04:30 PM
You may have found an issue that you can report through the bug report tool.

I would not be surprised if video output was not fully tested as few people in their right mind would choose to do this (for reasons explained in the first reply).

works fine to save as avi here too, check encoding options and try various options, though use avi only for small previews, for better workflow..render to image sequences and compile in free fusion or some other free software, unless getting premiere or aftereffects or something else payed for.

archartsnorth
02-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Hi!

I've had the same problem trying to output Quicktime animations. Controls/save options are twitchy at best in LW 2018.

That said, image sequences are, as previously mentioned the way to go.

Question: Is there a consensus regarding the "best" format for image sequences?

Thanks

Rayek
02-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Hi!

I've had the same problem trying to output Quicktime animations. Controls/save options are twitchy at best in LW 2018.

That said, image sequences are, as previously mentioned the way to go.

Question: Is there a consensus regarding the "best" format for image sequences?

Thanks

Always use a non-lossy format, with transparency/alpha channel support (if required for compositing later), and preferably at a high bit-depth to allow for flexibility later during compositing/editing. If the latter is not required, and you just want to export and convert directly to a movie file format, still keep it non-lossy, but transparency/alpha channels and a high bit-depth are overkill and just swallow up more disk space.

In most cases I use PNG 16bpc with transparency for simpler jobs and game work, although PNG transparency can be a pain to work with under circumstances. In those cases I use layered EXR with object masks. Lately I have been experimenting with cryptomattes, but I don't believe Lightwave supports those natively like Blender and Max.

For Lightwave you will need https://www.db-w.com/products/exrtrader/

Anyway, digressing here. Just export to any non-lossy format (PNG, TGA, TIFF, etc.) for direct conversion to a movie file format. Avoid lossy ones (JPG). Depending on your video editing software, even PSD will do.

archartsnorth
02-04-2019, 05:16 PM
Always use a non-lossy format, with transparency/alpha channel support (if required for compositing later), and preferably at a high bit-depth to allow for flexibility later during compositing/editing. If the latter is not required, and you just want to export and convert directly to a movie file format, still keep it non-lossy, but transparency/alpha channels and a high bit-depth are overkill and just swallow up more disk space.

In most cases I use PNG 16bpc with transparency for simpler jobs and game work, although PNG transparency can be a pain to work with under circumstances. In those cases I use layered EXR with object masks. Lately I have been experimenting with cryptomattes, but I don't believe Lightwave supports those natively like Blender and Max.

For Lightwave you will need https://www.db-w.com/products/exrtrader/

Anyway, digressing here. Just export to any non-lossy format (PNG, TGA, TIFF, etc.) for direct conversion to a movie file format. Avoid lossy ones (JPG). Depending on your video editing software, even PSD will do.

Thank You! Exactly what I needed to know...