PDA

View Full Version : Documentation

moon1
03-20-2018, 09:01 AM
Is there better documentation for lightwave 2018. I have looked at the online stuff and I can't find a lot about how to use anything. Where are the reconstruction filters? What is Filter Radius and how do you use it? The docs really don't explain how to use a lot of the new features. Is there better docs some where else to explain things?

rsfd
03-20-2018, 01:58 PM
Don't think that there is something better out there at this time.
But there is more to find in it as one thinks at the first look.

Reconstruction Filters (to find in the Render Properties "Buffers"-Tab):
https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Reconstruction+Filters
Filter Radius is the same as in any other Image Processing Software (i.e. Photoshop et al)

jbrookes
03-20-2018, 02:12 PM
I've resorted to using YouTube (and this forum).

I agree, the LW 2018 on-line documentation needs a lot more stuff added to it (and to its glossary), along with more examples.

The best LightWave manuals ever written were the ones for LW 4 and 5. Neatly organized, all features covered along with keyboard shortcuts, description of where to find said feature, and an example or two for each one (with pictures). Nice high-rez color images on glossy heavy-bond paper.

hypersuperduper
03-21-2018, 02:03 AM
Newtek has been very responsive with improving the online docs recently. I suggest taking a screenshot of the ui panel you want explained and submitting it as a bug report. Try to be very clear about what is not explained in the documentation. I have done so with some documentation questions I had and a few days later the doc was updated with lots of new very good information.

BeeVee
03-21-2018, 04:33 AM
Yes, please send bug reports, and give the page url in question. I want to make these docs the best ever for LightWave. I remember the LightWave 5 manuals with great fondness and the aim of the wiki, from the beginning, was to improve upon them. This is v1 of the docs in this form, even though I have been working on them for nearly three years already.

B

UnCommonGrafx
03-21-2018, 04:49 AM
Have you looked at the user section in the back?

Yeah, if you think there isn't enough info, consider it a bug and ask for more info. Your needs will benefit us all.
Robert

Signal to Noise
03-21-2018, 11:57 AM
Dan Ablan needs to write a Inside LightWave 2018 book. :hammer:

JamesCurtis
03-21-2018, 05:41 PM
That would be great, but I'm sure he'd want it to be profitable to do so, because I'm not sure how many sales he'd get these days.

What say you, Dan?

Morgan Nilsson
03-22-2018, 05:15 AM
Yes, please send bug reports, and give the page url in question. I want to make these docs the best ever for LightWave. I remember the LightWave 5 manuals with great fondness and the aim of the wiki, from the beginning, was to improve upon them. This is v1 of the docs in this form, even though I have been working on them for nearly three years already.

B

I've sent a bug report/feature request for the docs and even tried to "bump" it. It has been in open status for a few months now.

The report number is LWF-1272.

Keep up the good work, the documentation is awesome!

AnimeJoex
07-21-2018, 05:47 AM

Even though I'd be totally onboard with that, that wouldn't happen. If he was still producing educational material for Lightwave it would be in video form like his Signature series at 3DGarage . But the last time I mentioned Dan Ablan's name here, someone replied by saying "that ship has sailed." So, I took that to mean that, for whatever reason, the Ablan - Lightwave tutorial days were pretty much over.

BeeVee
07-22-2018, 05:47 PM
I've sent a bug report/feature request for the docs and even tried to "bump" it. It has been in open status for a few months now.

The report number is LWF-1272.

Keep up the good work, the documentation is awesome!

I am terribly sorry Morgan. The page has been ready for some time, but it wasn't out in the open! Fixed now...

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Back+to+Beauty+-+Rendering+for+Compositing

Thanks for your report. Like this we can make the docs better for everyone!

B

dablan
07-22-2018, 07:54 PM

Well that would be just awesome. Now, if there's any publishers left in the world that publish computer software books.....

- - - Updated - - -

Ship hasn't sailed.... just been busy with primary work. Glad to see there's interest. And if I can find the time, it will be a video course.