PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Eight Video Demos Part 1 and 1/2

WilliamVaughan
12-25-2003, 06:53 PM
Happy Holidays from William , Addie (My wife), and Jack (my puppy). I thought I would record a demo of the expression Editor as a gift from the Vaughen Family to the LW community. Recorded at my house on a very inexpensive mic so excuse the audio :)

If the audio passes then I will try and sneak in some more time in the laboratory. :)

Back to the Fam.....hope you enjoy.

Expression Editor example-
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/expressioneditor.avi

Had a ruff time uploading so I didn't get a chance to Dl on my weak Wireless card....can someone confirm that it downloads ok?

Thanx and have a great weekend!

meatycheesyboy
12-25-2003, 07:03 PM
Downloaded perfectly. Thanks for the new demo, looks great.

WilliamVaughan
12-25-2003, 07:06 PM
cool to hear it worked out...enjoy!

Kvaalen
12-25-2003, 07:27 PM
Worked for me! It's very cool but I'd love to see more complexe examples. :)

What you showed is enough for now, I'll show myself more complexe examples when LightWave 8 comes out. :)

Karmacop
12-25-2003, 07:42 PM
Looks nice. However, I think the biggest problem with lightwave is the UI.

Why do the colour coded h, p, b only show when the channels are locked? I think this defeats the purpose of colour coding them.

Why are the channels in the expression editor not under their objects or in a heirarchy of any kind? It didn't even look as though you could filter it? It's fine if you have a small scene but imagine a scene even with just one character with say 20 bones. That's getting close to 200 channels ... there's no way I want to scroll through that.

Why isn't the an 'output' node? Maybe it's not needed but it sort of makes sense to me? :confused:

Also, can all expressions been shown in this window and sexpressions linked to expressions?

Anyway, sorry to sound so negative, but it's a great video and I can't wait for more :)

hrgiger
12-25-2003, 08:04 PM
I just started to appreciate the expressions builder in Lightwave 7 but this looks so much better. I can't wait to experiement with that.

HowardM
12-25-2003, 08:22 PM
Thats really cool!
But why do you have to Add Element for one node, then make a red dot, and then click Multiply for another node (but not Add Element like you just did for the 1st element?), and then just click Value but not even Add Element for the last one? Why cant you just drag each Multiply, Value, Element Node into the right node window?
Wouldnt that be so much easier and faster than click click click click click?!?

Its the extra steps in LW that need to be gone!

How many times does the Cam props need to be opened? or the Objs? why must they close and reopen over and over?
Dont you think its a waste of time?

Who is testing this stuff?!
:hmm:

kevingun
12-25-2003, 08:43 PM
I am not a light wave user but I hope to be in a couple of months
saving my money. Any ways I downloaded all the videos
for light wave 8 they have me excited and I have never used light wave. I have been using True Space for around 6 years
and what I was amazed about was how fast and easy it was to do some of those things. Some of you may laugh but TS Is a very good modeler and I plane on still using it for that purpose
but in my opinion it is very lacking in Fx and Animation
Any ways I just wanted to say that the videos have me excited about light wave and I am going to look forward to being a LW user;)

anieves
12-25-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Karmacop
Looks nice. However, I think the biggest problem with lightwave is the UI.

here we go again! he, he.

Karmacop
12-25-2003, 09:11 PM
Sorry about bringing up the UI again :(

But Like HowardM said, why so many clicks? Dragging and dropping is a good idea. The expression editor looks great, the implementation looks to be a bit sow though.

Can you select multiple channels and add them all at once?

Can you change the linked channel once it's already in the visual window (without typing it in by hand)?

Can you open a saved expression and have it load up visually for editing?

They are simple thigns but they make things so much more usable and faster.

Just an example with 7.5, why can't you change a partigon emmiter to a partile emmiter and visa-versa? You have to copy and paste settings even though they are essentially exactly the same. Small changes, but it makes everything much faster.

Again, sorry for being negative :(

Stranger3D
12-25-2003, 11:32 PM
Proton,

This is a screenshot that I catch from the new video demo. Please click on this new Timeline in lw[8]. Show us what's the difference to the old one, Ok?

Thanks~~and sorry for my bad English :o

Cman
12-25-2003, 11:48 PM
[B...
Why are the channels in the expression editor not under their objects or in a heirarchy of any kind? It didn't even look as though you could filter it? It's fine if you have a small scene but imagine a scene even with just one character with say 20 bones. That's getting close to 200 channels ... there's no way I want to scroll through that.

Why isn't the an 'output' node? Maybe it's not needed but it sort of makes sense to me? :confused:

Watching the vid, I think this is a "node-based expression generator", not "node-based expression system".
Notice, when applying the expression, you don't create a node for where the expression is to be applied, you just apply it.
It did seem confusing at first, because there is no "=", just a calculation that you apply to something.

I wonder, since expressions can be named, can one add a node of that expression name, so the equation node-tree is "collapsed" - so to speak.

I think it would be great to collapse, and also add nodes for channels to apply the expression, so one could visually add an expression to multiple channels.

btw, thanks for taking the time to do the video Proton.
I wish a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family. :)

Tesselator
12-26-2003, 03:20 AM
...oooOOOooo... A nodal expression editor!!!

Killer! Looking better everyday!

And thanks for putting in the effort on this new video! Sweet!

What's the name of this ten-eyed little guy? He's cute!

Capt Lightwave
12-26-2003, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by proton
Happy Holidays from William , Addie (My wife), and Jack (my puppy).

Happy Holidays to you too, William

If the audio passes then I will try and sneak in some more time in the laboratory. :)

The audio passed with flying colors.....sooo....keep 'em coming ;)

cresshead
12-26-2003, 06:38 AM
looks good!...and a nice file size too, only a 8mb download.

sound is okay too.

would love to see the auto lipsync module in lw8 as described by prospector [stinky pete??]

steve g

nerdyguy227
12-26-2003, 05:09 PM
When will you be posting the full feature list?

geoff3dnz
12-26-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Stranger3D
Proton,

This is a screenshot that I catch from the new video demo. Please click on this new Timeline in lw[8]. Show us what's the difference to the old one, Ok?

Thanks~~and sorry for my bad English :o That will bring up the timeline little dopeline editor thingy - (that's the technical term.) We've already seen this, do a search for lightwave screenshots - you'll find it.

archiea
12-26-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by anieves
here we go again! he, he.

well, that should be indicative that people are not liking what they are seeing... can;t cal it an isolated case....

Stranger3D
12-26-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by geoff3dnz
That will bring up the timeline little dopeline editor thingy - (that's the technical term.) We've already seen this, do a search for lightwave screenshots - you'll find it.

Thank you,

I had seen that screen shot, but I want to know the details
:eek:

riki
12-26-2003, 07:23 PM
Thanks Proton, it looks like everyone's been hard at work. Expression Editor even looks fun to use.

jeromeOlivier
12-26-2003, 08:41 PM
Thanks Proton, the new node based expressions editor looks awesome.

Looking forward to more stuff. I'm sure this goes for everyone when I say how much we all appreciate the extra effort you're putting in to keep us abreast of LW 8.

Now, take a few days off & chill with the lady. I've got a hunch she'll appreciate a little attention too. :)

Liber777
12-27-2003, 10:53 PM
What codec were the videos made with? Win Media Player only gives me audio on my internet PC. Thanks...

Kvaalen
12-28-2003, 02:21 AM
Proton gave a link for the codec here:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15590

:)

Matt
12-28-2003, 07:52 AM
Why do the colour coded h, p, b only show when the channels are locked? I think this defeats the purpose of colour coding them.

I am sooooo glad someone else has spotted that! That really does need to change otherwise it is pointless.

Originally posted by HowardM
[B]Its the extra steps in LW that need to be gone![B]

Totally agree, aside from the look of the UI, are beta testers commenting on the workflow or just bugs?

I'm also surprised as to why the expression editor isn't drag and drop. Maybe the interface code doesn't allow it?

- - -

Apart from that, it's still looks like a wonderfully powerful feature.

(Oh and Proton, please, as a favour for me, could you tell the guys to sort out the bunched up black lines at the bottom of the timeline,
it's bugging the hell out of me now!!!!! ;)

CB_3D
12-28-2003, 08:50 AM
cool! a little too much clicking here and there, though.

Mattīs post above is a good example. the interface that has been shown to us needs a polish by an experienced designer. i am suprised these details donīt bother more people? isnīt our profession supposed to be the final aesthetics of a product, wether it be architecture, fx or product design.

toby
12-28-2003, 01:54 PM
I'm really curious about the Codec used for these videos - what do you guys think the advantage is? I can get better results right out of Quicktime Pro / mpeg 4, why go with an obscure proprietary codec?

cresshead
12-28-2003, 02:29 PM
the codec is what was created for camstasia which is the program that proton uses to grab the screen capture..it has a small file size and can grab at a good rate and compress quickly also camstasia has a player for this codec where you can scrub back n forth with no "mushing" of the video picture..try that with divx and the screen "melts"....this codec is therefore ideal for training where you need to scrub a video to catch what's happening on screen.

steveg

toby
12-28-2003, 02:38 PM
I see -
scrubbing is also one reason I prefer mp4 to divx, I don't know if it's as good as Camtasia's

thanks

WilliamVaughan
12-28-2003, 04:28 PM
I choose this codec becuase it works on both Mac and PC and I have had nothing but bad luck with quicktime movies...my machine at work refuses to play .mov files.

Quicktime hoses my machine and usually crashes it. So far no one I know has ever had problems with this codec and I think the quality works great.

I actually like to use DIVX for compression but alot of Mac users have issues with DIVX....

I tested downloading these videos at the house on my crappy wireless card on my laptop and they came down no problem....glad you are all enjoying a look at some of teh new features...more to come.

riki
12-28-2003, 04:42 PM
It's working fine for me on the mac, plus looks nice and clean as well. I don't mind the file sizes (even on 56k), I just que them to download overnight while I sleep. It's all very painless.

archiea
12-28-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by CB_3D
cool! a little too much clicking here and there, though.

Mattīs post above is a good example. the interface that has been shown to us needs a polish by an experienced designer. i am suprised these details donīt bother more people? isnīt our profession supposed to be the final aesthetics of a product, wether it be architecture, fx or product design.

hey CB, go to the link below regarding interface issues...

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15592

Karmacop
12-28-2003, 04:59 PM
Matt, I think the reason it's not drag and drop is because of the lightwave interface. If does seem as if they're slowly changing things like this while at the same time adding cool 'noticeable' features. I tihnk so far the best thing I've seen with the LW8 interface (which I guess isn't part of the interface) is not only the right click drop downs but the numerics that pop up beside IK booster bones that you can edit by clicking and dragging.

toby
12-28-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by proton
Quicktime hoses my machine and usually crashes it.

Although I have a PC friend who swears by QT, I have heard of problems with it on PC. QT should get their butt in gear on this -

I thought that WMP could play the 'standard' mpeg 4, no?

I actually like to use DIVX for compression but alot of Mac users have issues with DIVX....

Mac users should go to divx.com (http://www.divx.com) or 3ivx.com (http://3ivx.com) for a free divx decoder

riki
12-28-2003, 06:09 PM
Mac users should go to divx.com or 3ivx.com for a free divx decoder

I've tried these a number of times but the quality falls in and out. A one point it can look okay and then at another becomes a crazy mess of boxes.

toby
12-28-2003, 06:16 PM
good gawd those dynamics look crazy bitchin! I guess I'm getting [8] sooner than later

nerdyguy227
12-28-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by riki
I've tried these a number of times but the quality falls in and out. A one point it can look okay and then at another becomes a crazy mess of boxes.

I heard the same thing from many many other mac users. I have a PC and just this Christmas I got Dr. DivX (a program that converts vidio files into DivX format). It works great! I render uncompresed vidios from LW that are about 1000 MB and convert them to DivX and they become about 10 MB with no noticeable quality change!:D

I got the trial of Camtasia. It worked great, but it didn't seem like it was worth that amount of money.