PDA

View Full Version : VT2 projects in VT3

The Big Finn
12-25-2003, 09:07 AM
We finally got the VT3 upgrade (PAL version)... It's very nice and has many big improvements... some things still cause us lots of troubles.

We have trouble playing back older projects made with VT2. All the projects can be opened, but when they are beeing played or rendered, some problems occur with slow motion clips that haven't been rendered with VT2 (only streched). It looks like VT3 drops frames a few times in some clips and causes noticeable errors in the final video. If I take these clips away from the timeline and insert the exact same clips back again, everything works fine. This is very strange to me. These errors occur in the exact same spots every time and if I replace the clips, everything works fine. Of course there is quite a lot of work to be done with many erroneous clips.

I've also noticed that slow motion playback in general doesn't work as well as it did in VT2. There's also a few other things that I've been trying to solve... When VT2 projects are imported into VT3 all color corrections are lost and all cg text pages get shadows behind the text. Are there some settings that can cause this? Can I get past this problem somehow? I haven't found a way to get rid of this problem yet.

Has anyone else using the VT3 PAL version had similar problems?

ted
12-26-2003, 05:35 PM
I had some minor things like this, but thank goodness nothing was unable to be fixed with minor adjustments.
Not bad for such a major upgrade of features.
Our biggest issue was shadows on Chroma Key on an old spot that needed re-dubbing, but I think they have resolved that.
I wish you well.

bradl
12-27-2003, 02:52 AM
We noticed some changes in the CC module, namely Brightness and Contrast, that made VT2 CC's look bad in VT3.

The Big Finn
12-28-2003, 08:41 PM
I've played with my old VT2 projects in VT3 a little more now and I've found some new strange things... :(

Something strange happens to all the color corrections I've made in my old VT2 projects. Somehow the contrast and saturation values change place when the project is opened in VT3. I wonder why this happens!?!?! I thought that VT3 should be able to fully support old VT2 projects.

There's also quite a disturbing problem with audio tracks in VT3. In every VT2 project I've tried to open with VT3 all the audio tracks get strangely panned. In every track the left channel gets panned to right (10) and the right audio channel gets centered (0) automatically. This can be fixed only by editing all the tracks manually. Creating a sub project and editing that won't help (not even if I have only one audio track inside the subproject). Strange thinking...

One other strange thing is that every video clip in every one of my old VT2 project gets opened with shadows and size enabled by default in the control tree. This causes all the slow motion clips to look real bad. It looks like VT3 drops frames every now and then. When I disable the shadow option everything works fine. The trouble again is that I have to edit all the clips manually.

Again I'm curious to know if anyone else has noticed these problems.

Jim_C
12-28-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by The Big Finn
There's also quite a disturbing problem with audio tracks in VT3. In every VT2 project I've tried to open with VT3 all the audio tracks get strangely panned. In every track the left channel gets panned to right (10) and the right audio channel gets centered (0) automatically. This can be fixed only by editing all the tracks manually. ....

Create a tool shed preset, select all clips press apply.

The Big Finn
12-28-2003, 09:18 PM
Yeah... the tool shed is ok for this audio pan thing... Doesn't work on that shadow & size disable thing though... Some clips have colour correction and other options enabled and some don't, so it doesn't help me here (it would overwrite these other options)... or is there a way to do this automatically as well?

Why can't I just select all the clips I wan't to edit and just press enable or disable for each effect?!?!? Just like with Windows file properties... The changes are applied to every file that was selected and only the selected changes are applied. This would be a lot easier and the normal way to do things in the Windows world (at least the way I'm used to). It would even be more usefull that the Tool shed in some cases. Now here's something for Newtek engineers to think about.

I'm not complaining though... Newtek has done some pretty fantastic job with VT so far... just throwing ideas in the air... :)