PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave challenge...do this with the new volumetrics.

prometheus
03-07-2018, 01:03 PM
if anyone is up to the challenge?
Try do this with lightwave 2018 and the new volumetrics, rules are ...use as near life scale as possible, meaning do not downscale your landscape and clouds to tiny meters,
Provide a screen record of how fast vpr updates it.
Use particles.
Try to get the same speed and without it being too noisy..

sample vid is lw 2015 and old hypervoxels...
Now you do it with the new volumetics if you guys can acheive similar or better with these premises...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6PDjQdPyus&t=69s

RPSchmidt
03-08-2018, 09:04 AM
I didn't watch the whole video, but from what I did watch, I didn't get an idea of the scale you were working at.

Perhaps if you provided this scene without the volumetrics? I don't know about others who have read your post, but I wasn't sure exactly what you meant by "near life scale".

prometheus
03-08-2018, 11:47 AM
I didn't watch the whole video, but from what I did watch, I didn't get an idea of the scale you were working at.

Perhaps if you provided this scene without the volumetrics? I don't know about others who have read your post, but I wasn't sure exactly what you meant by "near life scale".

Canīt locate the scene now for a while, not even sure I have it on this computer, I also have 2018 under testing and a scene I need to constantly work on in discovery mode, for testing and recording a vid...so I canīt close that scene, since I can not save in discovery mode, and I will not open lw 2015 because that may conflict with the configs to have them both opened.
But for scale, particle emitter size is probably 2000 meters in depth and width...around 2000 particles as well.
probably around 200 meter and more in hv particle scale.

Sorry for having been a bit vague about that...canīt really expect you to follow my lead just like that, but I canīt check the scenfile now.

The point is however, I think it will be very hard to get this quality and speed with the new volumetrics in 2018, the old hypervoxels system in 2018 is Even faster than ion 2015..and faster than the new volumetrics, and the new volumetrics may be faster than the old hypervoxels if you compare it to the old hypervoxels within 2015 and not 2018, but...I think that may only be valid to a range of smaller scale, Ivé tried to use the new volumetrics in larger scales, and it becomes very slow, now you of course have to adjust the step size for it to render faster...but at these larger scales , I do not see it working nicely to get a decent speed balanced with a decent quality, setting large step sizes produces so much noise that it isnīt acceptable, and if you lower it for a better quality..the speed becomes intolerable.

With legacy hypervoxels this is not really the same case in either 2015 or 2018.
Please take note of that the scene content of the new volumetrics isnīt created in real life scale, it is in small 1 m scale, now why would that be if it isnīt suggesting that larger scales is much much slower to render, why would you make a 1m cloud when they are larger in real life and most likely you may have a scene created with other stuff in real scale.

So please anyone..go ahead and prove me wrong about my impressions of the new volumetrics isnīt as optimal as we really need them to be.