PDA

View Full Version : It's been a long time!

ShawnStovall
03-07-2018, 12:48 PM
Hello everyone, I used to post on here years ago as a teenager. Back then I was absolutely in love with 3D art and animation, but life ended up getting in the way and I was never able to fully pursue it like I would have liked. Now-a-days I'm going to school for Computer Science, but I've also rekindled my interest in 3D (working on 3D software is actually my long-term goal).

I spent a lot of time with LightWave, it being the first software suite I used heavily, and I would love to return to it. I was just wondering if it would be worth upgrading my old education edition 9.6 to the new 2018. I know a lot has changed, and once I really get back into it I plan on upgrading anyway, but are the changes so significant that I would be doing myself a grave disservice by not upgrading while I'm learning?

Thanks everyone!

TheLexx
03-07-2018, 01:23 PM
One big change is the wonder of a PBR rendering workflow :devil: - might be as well to face that sooner than later. I would just mention there is a very good $295 upgrade price at the moment, which I believe expires 31st March.

ShawnStovall
03-07-2018, 01:38 PM
If it's only that price for a limited time I'll probably just upgrade right now. Thanks for the input.

Edit: After looking around for a bit earlier, I couldn't find my old dongle anyhow, so looks like I pretty much HAVE to upgrade.

erikals
03-07-2018, 05:03 PM
you could buy a dongle perhaps?

wouldn't hurt to upgrade though.

besides, it'd only be marginally more expensive.

ShawnStovall
03-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Yeah, with the current sale I figured it would just be better to upgrade now. Thanks for the suggestion, though.