PDA

View Full Version : Large file editing - modeler slows down drastically ! Original was FBX

adk
03-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Hi folks,

I've run into a major issue with modeler. I have imported an FBX from city engine, granted it's large and saved it as lwo - 90mb.

No matter what I work on in that file, heavy layers, light layers, even a blank layer with a cube, modeler is just dog slow.

A single cube should be fast to manipulate no matter what the other layers are composed of as far as I'm concerned

Anyone else experience this ?

Cheers

fgreen
03-07-2018, 06:31 AM
have never used the FBX format, so can't comment on if that could be part of your issue, but I have experienced sluggish performance when surfacing huge product models that originated in CAD-- some of them are over 200mb.

My workaround has been to cut some geometry and paste to a new object file. After closing the original, the speed picks up again. After surfacing or making modifications I copy/paste it back to the original. Also I typically don't run the hub and have modeler running by itself when working on big files.

This is a bit of a pain, but ends up being faster, and way less frustrating than dog-slow performance.

JohnMarchant
03-07-2018, 07:47 AM
Hi folks,

I've run into a major issue with modeler. I have imported an FBX from city engine, granted it's large and saved it as lwo - 90mb.

No matter what I work on in that file, heavy layers, light layers, even a blank layer with a cube, modeler is just dog slow.

A single cube should be fast to manipulate no matter what the other layers are composed of as far as I'm concerned

Anyone else experience this ?

Cheers

How many surfaces, surfaces and layers are the two things that slow down modeler. I once had a simple FBX model, only 10 layers, but it had 300 surfaces, allot more than was needed, getting rid of them was the answer. However if you have a single box with one surface then i fear you problem is elsewhere.

Lewis
03-07-2018, 08:14 AM
Yes number of layers and number of surfaces are greatly affecting modeler performance so check that.

adk
03-07-2018, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, much appreciated.
I've had something similar happen before but that was a much bigger model surface wise. That had like 300+ surfaces

This one I broke into layers myself so it only has about 15, but just under 100 surfaces. There's no way for me to control what CityEngine spits out surface count wise so looks like I'll need to just work around it ... a major PITA.
LW needs to "play well with others" across the board not just in Layout. I doubt that this is an easy fix tho.

Don't get me started on FBX import ... 99% of time it's a crash for modeler! Grrrrr

Cheers