PDA

View Full Version : looking at LW 2018

alenskas
03-06-2018, 02:05 AM
Hi

Been years soince I posted. I really just bought LW 2018 and am looking through the content scenes out of interest to learn a little more about the developments.
I want this thread to paste my screengrabs and thoughts. Nothing serious - please no wankery here - just my notepad and would like to hear constructive thoughts on my posts.

my system:
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5960X CPU @ 3.00GHz, 3001 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
GeForce GTX 760

alenskas
03-06-2018, 02:07 AM

TheLexx
03-06-2018, 02:42 AM
please no wankery hereThat should have been the heading instead. :)

Am curious which modeling method you used, eg box modeling etc, and did you work with reference or freehand it ?

rustythe1
03-06-2018, 02:44 AM
couple of things, the frame time remaining, if AA is set to adaptive the frame time remaining will be incorrect as its predicting if your going to AA every pixel to max, so usually its a lot less than it states, also try experimenting with the Render tile size in render properties panel, on a multicore system it can have a great impact on render time,
with the eyelashes, i think there is a thread somewhere regarding the issues with transparency, i would suggest swapping the transparency channel into a clip map instead.

- - - Updated - - -

That should have been the heading instead. :)

Am curious which modeling method you used, eg box modeling etc, and did you work with reference or freehand it ?

its the elf from the 2018 content

alenskas
03-06-2018, 02:50 AM
Hey guys thanks for the response (and lack of wankery :p hehehe) okay so to explain this is not my owrk. As mentioned I am simply going through the LW2018 content media provided. I am opening anf hitting render. I am sure everything can be optimised but am hoping that as content /demo files these scenes should be properly setup and addressed so that people can deconstruct and learn from them.

RebelHill
03-06-2018, 05:19 AM
no wankery here

Sadface!

The different rendertimes are, most likely due to occupancy, there are simply more pixels containing ffx or sss effects in the close up than the wide. As for the ffx weirdness.. no clue, but for the eyelash thing, perhaps check ray recursions, or the specific material used. I tend to find that old standard performs better for those kind of "fakings" than principled (which is of course designed to behave in a more physical way and thus is harder to push away from that)

alenskas
03-06-2018, 06:02 AM
good notes thanks Rebel :D

gar26lw
03-06-2018, 06:26 AM
authoring error in the fiber fx stuff? ive not looked at this scene but will check it out now! :)

alenskas
03-09-2018, 08:59 AM
Is this related to the transparency issue rustythe1 mentioned?
please provide a link to that thread on it.

RPSchmidt
03-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Is this related to the transparency issue rustythe1 mentioned?
please provide a link to that thread on it.

I don't think it is; when I checked this scene, the composited background image is not being used.. i.e., it's not what shows through the windshield of the car.

What is showing through the windshield of the car is the textured environment.

If you go to Backdrop and turn off the composited beach picture, then you see the textured environment and see why that area is bright... because the environment is showing throught the windshield but the composite isn't.

rustythe1
03-10-2018, 01:57 PM
Yea, I think that one you may be able to fix in the material setting, change the refraction to raytrace only and it shouldn't show the backdrop, the transparency issue I was talking about was in one of the fiberfx posts, exact same thing was happening, if it was 100% transparent it still casts a shadow from the entire poly, can't remember the exact thread or if a resolution other than clip map was found