PDA

View Full Version : Octane test build is out for LW2018

Terb1097
03-05-2018, 04:31 PM
https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=65700

JamesCurtis
03-05-2018, 09:26 PM
Do they offer a demo so that I can tryout the software with my LW 2018? I have never c owned or tried Octane.

squarewulf
03-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Do they offer a demo so that I can tryout the software with my LW 2018? I have never c owned or tried Octane.

They sure do.

JamesCurtis
03-06-2018, 02:56 PM
I don't see a test build for LW 2018 as a demo version. When, and how can I test? I want to possibly purchase, but want to test how it performs for me in my LW 2108 install before plunging in.

juanjgon
03-06-2018, 02:59 PM
Hi,

The demo builds are released usually only for the final version, in this case when the final Octane 3.08 is released, something that should happen soon.

Thanks,
-Juanjo

THIBAULT
03-07-2018, 06:26 AM
We are very excited to be able to test LW2018 and Octane 3.08 RC1.
As I said before, for Architectural Visualization, Octane is the future of Lightwvave!
Stable, fast, powerful and supported by an extraordinary developer, JuanJo!
We took an interior made a few months ago and we did some tests!
The first: 2500 X 1400 - 1H00 rendering - 6 X TITAN X - 12 GB

03-07-2018, 06:56 AM
That's beautiful. Architectural digest-like!

Kudos.

lw_blender
03-07-2018, 10:08 AM
As I said before, for Architectural Visualization, Octane is the future of Lightwvave!

1 hour for this quality is A LOT for 6 x Titan X!!
I guess it's a DL render, right?
It does look a bit "flat", as about every DL renders in Octane, unfortunately. :(

Otherwise it looks cool, if you don't consider the render time! ;)

Nicolas Jordan
03-07-2018, 10:23 AM

Nice test, I've been considering Octane but the only thing that holds me back is the huge investment in GPU hardware requirements I will need in order to have the flexibility to render out complex heavy scenes. Also keeping in mind that the huge investment in GPU hardware will see no other benefit outside of rendering in Octane. Octane looks like it's my kind of render engine other than those concerns that still keep me from getting it. Eventually when it comes time to upgrade my hardware I will have to make a decision to put my money in CPU or GPU.

THIBAULT
03-07-2018, 11:43 AM
1 hour for this quality is A LOT for 6 x Titan X!!
I guess it's a DL render, right?
It does look a bit "flat", as about every DL renders in Octane, unfortunately. :(

Otherwise it looks cool, if you don't consider the render time! ;)

Always interesting to speak with "professionel" :) !!!! It's Pathtracing render - 12000 samples - It's good at 6000 samples (env 30 mn)
DL render is ok in 6 mn !
Now, if it's look "flat", it's because promotionnal visualisation market want "flat picture", not always, but often !
Visualisation for Architect offers more attitude in the work of lights and therefore more creativity!
To conclude, the image becomes much less "flat" if the artist has the opportunity to texture the walls, to have the choice in a palette of colors, light numbers and setting, etc ...
This is rarely the case for real estate developers.

Nicolas : Yes, you're right ! GPU is expensive and i work too with 3ds max /corona because
in addition, the life of GPU cards is much less important than CPUs.
I work with I7 network (5960 X and 6950 X) and I'm very happy with Corona.
The problem is that I enjoy working with LW and much less with Max!
Corona for LW is a dream !

Here, same scene with Corona (lighting shade) and again, the customer's wishes :

lw_blender
03-07-2018, 11:53 AM
Always interesting to speak with "professionel" !!!! It's Pathtracing render - 12000 samples - It's good at 6000 samples (env 30 mn)
DL render is ok in 6 mn !
Now, if it's look "flat", it's because promotionnal visualisation market want "flat picture", not always, but often !
Visualisation for Architect offers more attitude in the work of lights and therefore more creativity!
To conclude, the image becomes much less "flat" if the artist has the opportunity to texture the walls, to have the choice in a palette of colors, light numbers and setting, etc ...
This is rarely the case for real estate developers.

Nicolas : Yes, you're right ! GPU is expensive and i work too with 3ds max /corona because
in addition, the life of GPU cards is much less important than CPUs.
I work with I7 network (5960 X and 6950 X) and I'm very happy with Corona.
The problem is that I enjoy working with LW and much less with Max!
Corona for LW is a dream !

Here, same scene with Corona (lighting shade):

Thanks Thibault for your detailed reply! :)

Yep, you're right, sometime clients want "bad" renders instead of nicely lit, more intersting ones, you have to deal with it, unfortunately, if you want to please him/her... :o
Anyway, I wouldn't have thought it was the pathtracing kernel, as it looks more like a DL kernel render, I stand corrected! ;)
Have you done tests with the PMC kernel for interiors?
I know it's slower but in the same time it produces less noise quickly, from the tests I have done with Octane? (quite a few I must admit, I'm not too fond of Octane and GPU rendering in general...)

And last but not least, except for the "star filter" on the lights, the Corona render looks gorgeous in comparison, much more interesting lighting scheme and result, well done! :thumbsup:

jwiede
03-25-2018, 07:07 PM
Here, same scene with Corona (lighting shade) and again, the customer's wishes :

Wow, that Corona render looks _much_ nicer than the Octane render. How long did the Corona render take?

wingzeta
03-25-2018, 08:07 PM
Wow, that Corona render looks _much_ nicer than the Octane render. How long did the Corona render take?

I agree it looks a lot more pleasant, but the materials, exposure and lighting set up are different. The Corona scene is much warmer with material colors and softer lights, also more of the big window is showing. It's practically a different scene, and not really a fair comparison. I'm pretty sure you could get very close using octane, if everything was the same. This is like showing a pic of a house on a rainy day, and one on a sunny day, and asking which one looks better. The Corona render may in fact be better, but it's hard to tell with these two shots.

THIBAULT
03-26-2018, 12:41 AM

Thanks Jwiede ! Corona took 1h30 too for this render with 2 I7 core ( 5960 X and 6950 X) ! But Corona have a big advantage ! Denoising !

luzlight
03-26-2018, 02:11 PM

Very beautiful render. Also the sofa model and the cushions are much better/realistic.

I think the audience on this thread expects a triple-side-by-side octane-lightwave-corona render comparison with the same settings/materials/lights ! ;)