PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave to IGES exporter?

kyuzo
03-05-2018, 04:15 AM
Hi all,

I've got some projects which need to be CNC drilled, and they've requested IGES files.
Does anyone know of any free (or inexpensive) plugins or conversion software that can easily get from .lwo to IDES files? Am currently stuck on LW2015.

(We've been using .stl up till now, but apparently they've had some trouble with them - I've asked them to elaborate, in case there's a simple solution.
I've also noticed another user said they have used .lwo files straight into their CNC setup, so I have asked if that is an option too.)

Cheers

ccclarke
03-06-2018, 03:24 PM
PolyTrans will convert LWO to IGES ASCII text files. If this type of conversion is something you do often, it's worth it to buy the program. If you do it very rarely, drop me a PM and I might be able to convert them for you.

CC

Ztreem
03-06-2018, 05:52 PM
Hi all,

I've got some projects which need to be CNC drilled, and they've requested IGES files.
Does anyone know of any free (or inexpensive) plugins or conversion software that can easily get from .lwo to IDES files? Am currently stuck on LW2015.

(We've been using .stl up till now, but apparently they've had some trouble with them - I've asked them to elaborate, in case there's a simple solution.
I've also noticed another user said they have used .lwo files straight into their CNC setup, so I have asked if that is an option too.)

Cheers

If the model is a poly model I donít see why you would convert it to iges. The cnc operator is maybe not used to poly models as that is not the preferd format for milling. Most common is CAD models in Nurbs or solids in iges or step format. So he/she is maybe asking for an iges file because that is what they usually use. See if they can read obj files.

kyuzo
03-07-2018, 06:13 AM
Cheers guys.

I send files to this company regularly, but have always sent .stl files. For some unspecified reason, they've had some issues with them recently. I've asked for more info, as it might be something I can do differently within LW. Money is tight right now, so I'd rather not spend $400 on more software. If I had that money in my budget, I'd much rather spend it on LW2018.

And as Ztreem says, the files I'm sending are poly files (frozen SubDs) , so I'm not sure what would be gained...

They seem to be using Solidworks with their CNC setup, so are probably just looking for common file formats which they are familiar with.

Ztreem
03-07-2018, 07:35 AM
Cheers guys.

I send files to this company regularly, but have always sent .stl files. For some unspecified reason, they've had some issues with them recently. I've asked for more info, as it might be something I can do differently within LW. Money is tight right now, so I'd rather not spend $400 on more software. If I had that money in my budget, I'd much rather spend it on LW2018.

And as Ztreem says, the files I'm sending are poly files (frozen SubDs) , so I'm not sure what would be gained...

They seem to be using Solidworks with their CNC setup, so are probably just looking for common file formats which they are familiar with.

I can recomend Rhino3D if you work alot with clients that use CAD. Rhino is perfect for converting step and iges files to obj or fbx to work in LW.
Download Rhino trial, it works for 90 days for free with unlimited functionality. In rhino you can load your lwo and save it as iges if you want. (Iges can carry poly data so it works even for poly models, I've done it my self many years ago.)