PDA

View Full Version : New cinefex w/ ROTK!!!!!

archiea
12-25-2003, 03:51 AM
wow...

just reading it tnow...

man...

Go to the back, where they describe the collapse of Sauron's tower.... You wanna talk HardFX?!?!?!

600,000 polygonal faces for starters... which became 250 million... about 10,000 moving parts to crumble... beyond that they gave up on standard rigid body dynamics and developed a new dynamic system based on spring simulations. they used that to justify interpenetration of surfaces to avoid the calculations of thousands of rigid body simulations. So when two objects penetrated, they designed a spring between the penetrating vertex and the surface it was penetrating. The strengh of the spring was based upon the depth of the penetration. Massive-based orcs, tens of thousands, were inside and made to tuble out...

Now that's a demo!!:D But seriously, though, I think this fires up the imagination on how to tackle such dense simulations....

I'm really excited about cloth FX, soft FX and hard FX as now they are a common set of dynamics set within LW, as opposed to separate little plugins.. i'm curious if anybody at NT has messed with setting up characters that use the above FX dir simulated muscle compressing and skinning, instead of relying on endomorphs...

Edbittner
12-25-2003, 06:06 AM
Yeah, I'm waiting for mine to be delivered.( Can't wait).
Ed

mgrusin
12-25-2003, 01:52 PM
Oh man! I've usually forgotten about my subscription and am pleasantly surprised when it comes; now I'm going to be hanging around the mailbox and bugging the poor carrier until it gets here... :D

Cinefex: the best magazine in the world. Happy holidays everyone!

-MG.

archiea
12-26-2003, 07:54 AM
Merry Xmas to me!!! mine came Christmas eve!!!!